Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #2381
Administrator

The good news: It's raining! The smoke is gone and the fires should be completely out soon. We can breathe again, and it has even cooled down a bit.

The bad news: It's raining! Tropical storm warnings, with 12"-20" rain predicted to fall on New Orleans this weekend. Glug, glug.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #2382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The bad news: It's raining! Tropical storm warnings, with 12"-20" rain predicted to fall on New Orleans this weekend. Glug, glug.
I'm really disappointed you're keeping all that rain for yourself and not sharing a drop with the folks 500 miles west of you. Not nice.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #2383
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The good news: It's raining! The smoke is gone and the fires should be completely out soon. We can breathe again, and it has even cooled down a bit.

Oh W2R!
I do hope you are above the flood area...take care.

Here in No. California, it is dusty and dry. We are in fire season now, and long for our first good downpour
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #2384
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm really disappointed you're keeping all that rain for yourself and not sharing a drop with the folks 500 miles west of you. Not nice.
I'll stand outside and blow in a westward direction, if that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Oh W2R!
I do hope you are above the flood area...take care.
Me too, and thanks. I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess. My house has never flooded before, although houses all around me have, so I hope it doesn't flood this time.

Now they are saying 15"-20" of rain are predicted. The state of emergency due to the swamp fire was cancelled yesterday, and another state of emergency due to the expected rain was called. It's only drizzling, so far.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #2385
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The state of emergency due to the swamp fire was cancelled yesterday, and another state of emergency due to the expected rain was called.
Out of the fire and into the mire.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #2386

Quote:
Me too, and thanks. I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess. My house has never flooded before, although houses all around me have, so I hope it doesn't flood this time.

Now they are saying 15"-20" of rain are predicted. The state of emergency due to the swamp fire was cancelled yesterday, and another state of emergency due to the expected rain was called. It's only drizzling, so far.
Louisiana has certainly had enough this year in dealing with water problems, especially considering what happened back in May, with all that water being manufactured up north and then coming downstream. Texas has been a tinder box this year, hottest that I can remember since we arrived in 93. When it comes to natural disasters, I don't know whats worse: floods/hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, forest fires, etc.

W2R, hope those rains don't create a problem for you and that maybe you can send a little bit our way. We'd be happy to take it!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #2387

Hoping for rain in Texas from us as well. Dad lives in San Antonio and when I talked to him yesterday he told me all of his trees are dead and the grass is crispy and blowing away.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Hoping for rain in Texas from us as well. Dad lives in San Antonio and when I talked to him yesterday he told me all of his trees are dead and the grass is crispy and blowing away.
We live about 90 minutes north of San Antonio, and it's the same here -- looking out our kitchen window to the half-acre we have behind the house, almost all the trees have lost their leaves or have had all of them turn brown. A couple of trees have fallen in heavy winds after dying earlier. The grass crunches when you walk over it. It's horribly depressing and no one sees an end in sight. Even folks who aren't at all religious are encouraging others to "pray for rain."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #2389
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm 2.4 feet below sea level, which is about average around here I guess.
Heck and I was worried being just 400+ feet above sea level (90 miles west of NYC).

We're worrying about that "super tsunami" forecast from the Canary Islands, sometime in the future, just traveling "the pond" and landing in our back yard...

I have my surfboard ready just in case (it may take me to Kansas)...
Old 09-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's horribly depressing and no one sees an end in sight. Even folks who aren't at all religious are encouraging others to "pray for rain."
Dad said the prediction is that the drought will last at least another couple of years. I hope the people who's jobs depend on rain can hang on.

My aunt (dad's sister) has 5,000 acres in San Saba county and runs about 2,000 head of cattle. They've been having to feed the herd all year because there is no grass.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #2391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Dad said the prediction is that the drought will last at least another couple of years. I hope the people who's jobs depend on rain can hang on.
Equally worrisome is the possibility those of us depending on a well for water will end up having dust come out when we turn on the faucet...

Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #2392

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Equally worrisome is the possibility those of us depending on a well for water will end up having dust come out when we turn on the faucet...
Or if, like me, you live in a town where the municipal utility's only water source may stop flowing completely, leaving an entire city without running water. DW and I have seriously been talking about where we'll go if the town runs out of water. It would have to be a place we could rent short-term and take a dog and two cats.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Or if, like me, you live in a town where the municipal utility's only water source may stop flowing completely, leaving an entire city without running water. DW and I have seriously been talking about where we'll go if the town runs out of water. It would have to be a place we could rent short-term and take a dog and two cats.
I had no idea that entire towns and people's wells were that dangerously low! I'm so sorry to hear that and while I'm not 'religious' I'll pray for rain...it sure can't hurt!!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2394

Just what TX needed. Not.

Lee could bring fire, not rain, to parched Texas

Quote:
Parched Texans hoping a tropical storm moving slowly through the Gulf of Mexico would provide them with drought relief should prepare for disappointment and even the heightened threat of wildfires in parts of the state, experts said Friday.
DD
Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #2395
Administrator

Strangely enough, heavy smoke from the swamp fire out in the east returned this afternoon, despite moderate rainfall for most of the day. How bizarre. One would think that either we would have to endure the fire, or the rain, not both.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #2396

Quote:
Strangely enough, heavy smoke from the swamp fire out in the east returned this afternoon, despite moderate rainfall for most of the day. How bizarre. One would think that either we would have to endure the fire, or the rain, not both.
The Apocalypse is approaching. Locusts will be next.

DD

PS Stay safe.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #2397
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
The Apocalypse is approaching. Locusts will be next.

DD
I think I am beginning to know how Job felt.

On this evening's news, the explanation given is that the stronger winds we are experiencing due to T.S. Lee are pushing the smoke around and responsible for the stronger smell.

But I like your explanation better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc
PS Stay safe.
Will do our best.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #2398
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The news is kind of hinting that this storm may be a problem for New Orleans ("New Orleans Levees face test."), but my impression is that that is just news hype, and that there is no danger ("The system was designed to be able to protect against the impact of a 100-year storm, and this storm is nowhere close to that," Col. Fleming told...").

Does that sound right, W2R?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #2399
Administrator

My sense of it is that the Corps did some work on the levees, taking their own sweet time, and didn't really fix everything that was damaged by Katrina. However, they claim that the levees have never been more secure, blah blah blah. The Corps is not too popular around here, generally speaking.

So far, T.S. Lee doesn't seem to be too bad, though, at least here in New Orleans where we have the pumps/drainage system. I think we have had about 4" of rain so far, which is not unusual around here. It is predicted to stick around for a couple of days so I'm sure it will rain more. Storm surge is predicted to be just 1-3 feet in Lake Ponchartrain, which borders New Orleans.

So yeah, there's a lot of hype going on, both about the storm and about the current strength of the levee system.

This morning I was awakened at 5:00 AM by a robocall from the Parish (=county), saying that there was a tornado warning and to immediately take cover. What a way to awaken! Turns out that no tornado was ever spotted but the rotation inherent in all tropical weather was the reason for the warning. Then that warning was cancelled and another one immediately began, so I got another robocall at 7:15 AM about that one. No tornados anywhere nearby (or anywhere that I know of) all morning but almost the whole region has been under various tornado warnings for hours.

No flooding in my area so far, although during the heaviest rains there was about 6 inches of water in the street moving quickly. It never got to the sidewalks and is gone now. Gusty winds, on and off.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #2400

I'm hope you folks in NO are more than ready for this and even worse. I hear lots of improvements have been made to your levy and flood control systems, like this recently completed project: GIWW & West Closure Complex (click on the video to see details of building and installing some big-@ss water pumps).

My nephew worked on this project and has some interesting stories to tell about what happened the first - and second - time they tested the first installed pump.