This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
With thunderstorms now on the way, I've started shoveling ~1.5 ft of snow off a flat roof for fear of collapse. Yesterday I was using a pickaxe (no exaggeration) to the solid ice speed bump at the end of the driveway.

DH was busy shoveling out the street sewer grates on our block yesterday, which were iced over and melting water was pooling as it ran down the street to them. Our city keeps a eye on them but not close enough sometimes.

Thanks, I love that song! Glad you are on high enough ground to be fine.

Weather here is sunny and already 80F at just 11 AM. Going to be a hot day today.

Mr. Wonder is a teacher to all of us.

I love when he says "turn me up just a little bit". :)

Blizzard-like conditions in Minnesota again. I asked DH tonight why we live here. He says "we are not wusses". I said "I think it's because we are not too smart". LOL!

Oh spring, sweet spring...cannot wait until you grace us with your presence!

We had three days of mid 40s temps; now it's 8 above with a predicted high of 15. And this will continue for at least the next week.

We got the very tail end of Minnesota's storm last night. Here, it resulted in extremely heavy rain, wind, lightning, and a tornado watch, all peaking at around 1:30-2:00 AM. We were amply warned about it beforehand with many weather reports and red scrolling banners on the TV. No way was I going to try to sleep through all that, so I stayed up. At the height of it I heard my trash can being blown away so I ran out in the rain and wind to retrieve it. I got completely soaked but at least I have my trash can and lid.

This morning when I put my trash can back outside, it was sunny and bright and about 15 degrees cooler at 61F.

Last edited:
Yep another snowstorm/blizzard on Thursday/Friday. School closed again Friday. Now back to the polar vortex with Nodak. Sigh...

We're getting a break, supposed to be near 60° F today. After the gym we're going out somewhere. Then in a few more days we're back into hibernation mode with the cold again.

The snow is gone from my yard except for the last vestiges of the mounds the Plow Boys (my new favorite band) made. Can spring be far behind?

I say no, sir!

Highs forecasted in single digits this week with lows in the -14and -15 below zero into March. The ice on the creek in our back yard is over 30inches thick as We need an extension to drill through it for fishing. If reminds me of the old photographs where train tracks were laid across the Missouri River before the bridge was completed. Driving a train across the ice means you have thick ice and a damn cold place to keep it that way.

On the other hand
1911996_666806926711466_183015825_n.jpg

I saw a robin this morning; he has not read the 10 day forecast.

Cold here again next week. Had a nice weekend of sun and just above freezing after torrential rains and thunderstorms on Thursday night/Friday morning. Just brought the last face cord of wood for the year in today. That will make it 5 for the winter. Has been pretty cold.

California will finally be getting some rain later this week. Hooray!
We might even get winds up to 50 MPH. Ordinarily I might complain
about the rain, but I think I've learned my lesson now....

Still freezing cold here, with piles of snow, terrible icy streets and sidewalks, and continued cold this week. But yesterday I heard spring bird sounds! And the days are getting significantly longer! Hope springs eternal!

I keep telling myself "This too shall pass, this too shall pass...."

Why does February last six months and summer only lasts six weeks:confused:?

It is snowing again, still?

Monday I said to a fellow diner, spring is here. She said how you know.

I replied, this morning I saw a woman coming out of the Y in a miniskirt and stilettos. She obviously had dancer's legs.

Well I was fooled, about spring being here. She in fact turned out to be a dancer.

Checkout forecast.io for an interesting weather prediction format. It won't change your weather, but it is fun to play with while sitting indoors and waiting for the snow to melt.

thanks for the tip..pretty neat forecast site..

I have 3 weather forecast sites bookmarked. One local station, weather.com, and that .io site. What gets me is that NONE of them are even all that close to each other. Usually a good 5 degree difference between the 3. I'm also finding that the weather.com site has the temps about as accurate as any of them....which considering the local station "should" have some local knowledge advantage....why can't they get it right? Next 4 days....
KREM (local station) 33, 34, 39, 38
Weather.com

I have 3 weather forecast sites bookmarked. One local station, weather.com, and that .io site. What gets me is that NONE of them are even all that close to each other. Usually a good 5 degree difference between the 3. I'm also finding that the weather.com site has the temps about as accurate as any of them....which considering the local station "should" have some local knowledge advantage....why can't they get it right? Next 4 days....
Weather.com 37, 40, 45, 39
.io 35, 39, 43, 33

Weather.com 37, 40, 45, 39
.io 35, 39, 43, 33

I believe that despite all the science used in forecasting weather, it's as much of an art as it is a science.

Interesting the story that's often told around here is that upcoming metorogists desire to work at the NWS near KC to build their resumes. Aparantly it's well known that the forcasts in this area are 'challenging'. I can attest to the challenging part, not sure about the rest.
MRG

Temperatures were in the 70's today, so shorts and sandals were in order. Fog rolled in from the Gulf of Mexico and persisted for much of the day.

Sounds good, right? Unfortunately I suspect we haven't seen the last of wintry weather and soon we may be back in the freezer with the Northerners. Hope I'm wrong.

Mardi Gras is one week from today, so we have lots of parades going on.

Last edited:
It's still winter

Bitterly cold air continues across eastern two-thirds of U.S. with blowing snow in Upper Midwest

Arctic air will continue to spread through the eastern two-thirds of the U.S. this week, with high temperatures as much as 20 to 30 degrees below normal in some locations. In the northern Plains and Upper Midwest, the cold temperatures combined with gusty winds will lead to dangerous wind chills. Also, these gusty winds will create areas of blowing and drifting snow leading to blizzard conditions.

Current Conditions

• Humidity57%
  • Wind SpeedNW 10 mph
  • Barometer30.45 in (1036.2 mb)
  • Dewpoint-9°F (-23°C)
  • Visibility10.00 mi
  • Wind Chill-12°F (-24°C)
Last Update on 25 Feb 5:52 pm CST

Mandan ND

7 Day Forecast

• Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around -8. Wind chill values as low as -25. West wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
  • Wednesday Patchy blowing snow after noon. Sunny, with a high near 21. Wind chill values as low as -20. Blustery, with a northwest wind 14 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -25. Blustery, with a north wind 17 to 22 mph becoming light and variable. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph.
  • Thursday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 5. Wind chill values as low as -25. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
  • Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Southeast wind 7 to 10 mph becoming northeast after midnight.
  • Friday Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 4.
  • Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -17.
  • Saturday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -6.
  • Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -13.
  • Sunday Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 1.
  • Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11.
  • Monday Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 5.
  • Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8.
  • Tuesday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom