Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #2981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

DS actually flew into Dallas yesterday afternoon.... D'oh! Supposed to fly out Sunday night back to Chicago. Both cities have bad forecasts for Sunday. Double d'oh.
About 1983 we had a layover in Dallas. Bad weather, we were there for 12-14 hours. We had it easy, there was a college girl there who had been stranded for 36 hours. The girl looked at DW and I asked if we would watch her stuff so she could take a nap, she'd been afraid to sleep.

When they finally got close to boarding the airline was offering travel vouchers, and hefty benefits to anyone willing to give up their seats. They were trying to combine several flights. There were no takers, even when the benefits got very generous. After boarding they came on an announced we were cleared for takeoff, but would be too heavy to land. They discussed maybe dumping fuel, but that wouldn't work as we'd not have sufficient capacity to get to our second backup airport.

Again they asked for volunteers to get off, no extra premiums, just hotel and next available flight. People who had been waiting close to 2 days ran for the exits.

Good luck to you road warriors, and infrequent flyers.

MRG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #2982
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's a mess here in my burb. A section of 'my' tree broke off from the ice...it was just 3 feet tall when I planted it in 2000. I feel like I've lost a friend.

The other pic is on our street...there is damage to our neighbors trees as well.
Sorry about your tree. Ice can really cause problems. Amazing the extreme weather Dallas can get. We occasionally have some snow, but ice storms are usually every 10 years or so in my area.

Temps have been dropping here this afternoon. Low 40's right now. A thunderstorm passing at this moment. Better unplug the old computer.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #2983
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sun dogs are the result of lots of ice crystals in the air.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #2984

The freezing rain started later Thursday afternoon, didn't stop until 11 AM Friday morning. Miraculously, we still have power, but many in our neighborhood and all over the DFW area do not. So many, that the area power distribution company gave up on their fancy website that showed outages and estimates on a zoomable map. Around 5 PM today, they put a transparent tinted overlay over all of it, that in effect, says "we're working on it".

Major tree damage, some will be a total loss. I hope some will recover when it eventually melts, but wind rocking a multi-ton ice mass back and forth does not bode well for it. There will be an excess of seasoned Oak firewood in the area for next winter

I've never seen trees bend so far, all the way to the ground. Some won't be coming back up. The skyline has changed, where I used to see tall trees over houses, now I just see the house, with maybe a little bush sticking a little bit above the roofline, if that.

bbbamI, too bad about your tree. So far, the trees that have survived the ice without damage here are the ones that lose their leaves early. The more leaves on the tree, the more ice load and damage. Our Sweet Gum is standing proud and tall, encased in ice. It didn't have a leaf on it.

Some chance of more freezing precip tomorrow. Doesn't sound like any of it will start to melt until sometime next week. And to think we were wearing shorts on Wednesday and it was 80 and hot sun!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #2985
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone for your kind words about my tree. ...and Telly I hate to hear about your situation as well. You're right, trees that have shed their leaves have a better chance. My tree still had seed pods on it...

I'm hoping there will be no more damage when I wake up in the morning. The air is filled with moisture and it's very cold. We're supposed to have some wind tonight that may bring our chill factor to 10 below.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #2986
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Tell them to bring back a victory, too.. I need 9 wins to win my season over bet!
Dallas has a great shot at 9 wins. The Bears not so great.

A balmy 9 degrees here. Going to Scottsdale where its at least slightly above freezing
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #2987

We're "skating" today, clear & sunny high 34° F but Sunday through Monday night is freezing rain. Going out later today and fill some gas cans for the generator in case we need it. I always keep a couple in the shed but I'll fill a few more, use it in the car/truck if we don't need it.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #2988
Recycles dryer sheets

81* yesterday and A/C still running. High today upper 70s ...very thick morning fog. My Bradford Pear trees just started to change colors to beautiful orange and red. Almost winter in north Florida....
Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #2989

We got our snow today, hope that is it for the year. Had to fire up the snow thrower. I hated to write the check for it but every time I use it I'm so glad I did!

Now I'm ready for spring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snowthrower-1.jpg (68.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Snowthrower-2.jpg (105.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Snowthrower-3.jpg (95.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #2990

I am here in the mountains east of Albuquerque and received about 8 inches of snow Thurs. Left work early and came home to plow the driveway (about 400 ft worth, thank goodness for tractor) and clear the walkways around the house. Been below freezing since, and not supposed to be above freezing until Wed maybe Thurs.

I will sure be glad when it finally warms up above freezing. My propane bill will not be fun.....

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We got our snow today, hope that is it for the year. Had to fire up the snow thrower. I hated to write the check for it but every time I use it I'm so glad I did!

Walt, it looks beautiful in your 'hood.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #2992
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

When I bought mine, I got the 2 year no snow guarantee. Worked perfectly, 2 years, 1 day later, the machine and I got well acquainted. Every year after, it's been my best friend/worst ememy.
MRG
Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
When I bought mine, I got the 2 year no snow guarantee. Worked perfectly, 2 years, 1 day later, the machine and I got well acquainted. Every year after, it's been my best friend/worst ememy.
MRG
Sort of the same thing happened to me. I bought it after two snowstorms about a week apart at our past house and with the house on one side of the driveway and the neighbor's fence and hedge on the other I simply couldn't throw a shovelful of snow any farther.

Bought the snow thrower on sale in Feb. and didn't see a single snowflake for four years. I'll take that deal. But then the weather man made up for it....
Old 12-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #2994
Give me a forum ...

So far I have successfully forestalled any significant snow fall by bringing my snowblower (same as Walt34's) down from the shed, into the garage and verified it works in early November.

We had promise of 4-6" a few days ago, it ended up a mere dusting.

Now the forecast is for a few nights of single digits, but no snow. How about thaat global warming thing?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #2995

Had to fire it up again this morning for another three inches of the heavy wet stuff. And more forecast for Saturday. Nighttime temps in the teens until then.

This winter is NOT off to a good start.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #2996
Recycles dryer sheets

After -12F a couple of days ago today we had 43. Felt tropical.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #2997
Give me a forum ...

I can't complain about the weather where I live now, but stories like this make me grateful that I moved:

Winnipeg records coldest December day in 80 years | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

It appears that United Airlines has cancelled flights to and from Winnipeg because it's "too cold to fly". The airport's website confirms this. They use Canadian built Bombardier jets for these flights. Other airlines are flying in and out of Winnipeg. So I just don't get why United is unable to fly there.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #2998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It appears that United Airlines has cancelled flights to and from Winnipeg because it's "too cold to fly". The airport's website confirms this. They use Canadian built Bombardier jets for these flights. Other airlines are flying in and out of Winnipeg. So I just don't get why United is unable to fly there.
Perhaps someone with a background in aircraft maintenance can answer, but I'd suspect that either oil or hydraulic fluids get too thick.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #2999
Give me a forum ...

Yes, but why does this not affect other airlines?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #3000
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Meadbh, I have no commercial experience other than as a passenger, but in the military there were no restrictions on flying based on low temperatures. It can be challenging to bring an aircraft sitting in sub-zero conditions "on-line". Hydraulic seals shrink, causing system leaks, etc. but most issues were similar to what you would experience in starting a car left outside. I recall one pre-dawn December morning in -20F Montana where our aircraft door was frozen shut....

I suspect another motive in cancelling those flights. Low passenger load perhaps? Maybe I'm being too critical. It could be the stress on the aircraft and ground crew is simply not worth it.