This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice day here. That contributes to too much time indoors and tendency to post more than usual. Until the power fails.

I am not a prepper but at any given moment I will have 15-20 rolls of toilet paper, a half gallon of milk, at least 8-10 eggs and a half loaf of bread on hand. Since I was old enough to shovel the driveway in northern WI (about 5 yrs old) I have always had one or two snow shovels and maybe an ice chipper on hand to attack the snow/ice.

Basically I am confused about the running to the store for milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. Do people use the restroom more during a storm?

I have never been stranded from a storm for more then a day or two.

I top off the gas tank in the truck and ensure all electronics are fully charged. That's it.

I am not a prepper, nor do I need to be. In my 40 years here in Phoenix, it snowed about 3 times. Yes, you'd better be careful when you use the phrase "when h*ll freezes over".

Yet, we have a lot of provisions at home. We rarely eat out, and as we cook a variety of dishes, we like to have on hand the ingredients to suit our fancy. So, for pasta we always have on hand spaghetti, fettucini, farfalle, orzo, couscous, etc... For meat, we always have ground beef, steak, pork chop, chicken, sausages, ham, halibut, mahi mahi, etc... Ditto for canned food, rice, noodles, etc... We do not eat just one type of cheese, so have several portions of different types.

We still go to the market a couple of times a week to get fresh vegetable and fruits. Some of these do not keep long.

So, our problem is not to worry about running out, but rather to keep an accurate list to rotate the stock.

Last edited:
I thought the big storm was supposed to head to DC! But we are getting some weather down here, too.

I'm listening to the sounds of the wild winds outside, more than 40 mph by now with very strong gusts. They were strong enough to blow away the chest high, very sturdy/heavy wheeled trash can that we have to use here. In fact, the wind blew it away and down the driveway twice, so I went out and put it in the garage. The wind almost blew me away too! Well not really, but I was struggling to get it done against the wind. We are close to Lake Ponchartrain, so the winds are strong here.

It's cold (for here), too, high of 42F with wind chill at 32F. Brrrrrrr. That's cold considering that yesterday it was 73F here. Tonight it's supposed to freeze for 1-3 hours.

So glad I'm retired and don't have to go out in this again. :D

Good thing you had those trees taken down, W2R. Those winds could snap them off and plop them on your roof.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Good thing you had those trees taken down, W2R. Those winds could snap them off and plop them on your roof.

Believe me, I am SO GLAD that is mostly done! :D You are right, there is no way that my roof would be intact right now if those trees were still there. Also, I'd have to get out in the street with a chainsaw to clear the huge branches from blocking the street, and I'm getting too old for that.

I don't consider 8-10 eggs, a half loaf of bread, and a half gallon of milk "stocking up on inventory." That short list of items will easily last me a week or two. (along with the other usual items I have in the pantry at any given moment)

On another note I drive 45-50 mph in a 55 zone during a rain storm. Not 20 mph like most of my neighbors. Maybe I'm just a big risk taker. Hmm?

I think that depends on whether or not you can see the road or the cars around you. I was driving on I-95 north of D.C. when a downpour hit. Exited the highway and pulled in a fast food parking lot and waited until I could see more than five feet in front of me.

The biggest problem were the SUVs and trucks either passing me or on the other side of the freeway throwing water onto my car to the point that I couldn't see a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Any East coast snow reports? In central PA the snow started 3 hrs earlier than predicted. Already about a foot, which was the lower end of our storm total. Oh joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Southeastern Pennsylvania, snow started about 7:30 last night and we have 8 to 10". Wind gusts but no steady winds. Just going out now to start clearing driveways and making sure the vents on generators are clear of snow.

I spent one week working outside in Jamestown, ND. in late December. At minus 33 degrees, I was locked out of my rental car. Luckily, the only locksmith for 100 miles school across the street.

In that cold with the heaviest gloves I've ever seen, my fingers were burning in a matter of minutes. Thankfully it was very sunny, and the air was just so clean on such a day.

Most of the farmers in the area spend their winters in Florida. Those farmers not in Florida kept their tractors in heated garages so they'd start, and they only stayed behind to feed cattle. I felt so sorry for the cattle living in those conditions.

At least those living in Alaska have the water to keep them warmer--than North Dakota.

When life gives you lemons...

a%2Bstorm%2Bpicture%2B2-9-13.jpg

This is actually from a storm in Buffalo two years ago I believe. The most memorable snowstorm that I can recall was the 'Blizzard of 77' in the Niagara Region. It was pretty impressive and messed things up pretty good even for an area that is prepared for significant snowfalls.

OPEN AIR STADIUMS! May the Queen of football be with us this weekend.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool: ER and not having to drive on the real bad stuff is just wonderful. :greetings10:

A break at last, supposed to be in mid 30s today and upper 20s all next week.

Tough to measure the snow in the Blue Ridge mountains with all the blowing since last night. I was guessing about 18-20", the resort is saying over 22. Still coming down, we'll probably get about 30" total.

We are getting hammered. I just made the first pass on the driveway and sidewalk and it was coming over the top of the snow thrower. The entrance to the auger is I think 24". The mailbox is about to be buried and that is something I've never seen happen. There is some drifting going on there, it wasn't that deep in the driveway, but still....

Attachments

• deep_snow-1.jpg
    deep_snow-1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 12
About two feet so far, looks like another six to eight inches on the way in SW PA.

Cleared the driveway, went to the coffe shop in 4WD.

An unusual event, the local diner is closed on a snowy day for the first time in 30 years. BooHoo.

We are getting hammered. I just made the first pass on the driveway and sidewalk and it was coming over the top of the snow thrower. The entrance to the auger is I think 24". The mailbox is about to be buried and that is something I've never seen happen. There is some drifting going on there, it wasn't that deep in the driveway, but still....

Wow! That looks awfully deep. Best to just stay home and I know you prepared for that. Still, I hope that you don't lose your heat for some reason while you are snowbound.

The winds are gone here, thank goodness, and it is a little bit warmer (44F right now). So, I suppose we are done with our surprise mini-storm.

OPEN AIR STADIUMS! May the Queen of football be with us this weekend.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool: ER and not having to drive on the real bad stuff is just wonderful. :greetings10:

Too bad that the Pats hadn't hung onto homefield advantage. Not sure whether this storm is on track for NE but could have been fun.

Just to the right of the lamp post the mailbox is now just a little bit short of being completely covered. Measured at the basement sliding glass door the level is at 30 inches (not drifting there) and on the deck it is higher than the railing. The huge lump near the window is the covered gas grill. I guess it's gonna be a while before I'm grilling burgers.

It'll be interesting to see what the official snowfall level is measured at the airport a few miles away.

Attachments

• Blizzard_2016-1.jpg
    Blizzard_2016-1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Blizzard_2016-2.jpg
    Blizzard_2016-2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Blizzard_2016-3.jpg
    Blizzard_2016-3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 17
Just to the right of the lamp post the mailbox is now just a little bit short of being completely covered. Measured at the basement sliding glass door the level is at 30 inches (not drifting there) and on the deck it is higher than the railing. The huge lump near the window is the covered gas grill. I guess it's gonna be a while before I'm grilling burgers.

It'll be interesting to see what the official snowfall level is measured at the airport a few miles away.

At this rate, when will the light pole get buried? Stay safe out there!

Looks like a good one. Back in the day we couldn't wait to get out into that stuff. Snow forts and snowball fights, king of the hill (snow pile), tunneling into the piles (ok so not entirely safe!), tobogganing, and snow football. Those were the days. Put a crimp in hockey though because even on skates it was hard to get all that snow off the ice but it made for excellent 'boards' around the rink.

Snow stopped, next scheduled significant weather event Tuesday, Rain. Got just a bout 30 inches of snow.

Heading outside to blow away the 8" or so global warming, the previous 2' batch was disposed of at around 10 AM this morning..

We are just south of Boston and we're dodging this one as we have only a couple of inches on the ground and they're predicting another 3 to 4 more. We got 117 inches last winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom