This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH just commented on his two -50F camping badges he got in Boy Scouts, one of which was an overnight in snow shelters they made themselves. :nonono:

It was -18F this morning, I just stayed inside today. Since I came down with asthma as an adult, I avoid breathing cold air as much as possible. Scarves have become my friends.

Never heard of a -50 camping badge when I was a scout. Must of been something local for the folks that would have the opportunity to get it. I tried to get a lot of the obscure badges, but would probably have passed on that one.

I went skiing only a couple of times.... it caused the breakup of a friendship I had with someone I knew in high school... he was crazy about skiing and wanted me to like it... I did not...

BUT, we were out and it was -15 ish.... but a pretty brisk wind and I was freezing my butt off.... when we got to the ski resort it was colder, but I waited to go up... the ski patrol said they had registered -55 at the top of the mountain.... do not know what it was where we were...

What USAF survival training? :confused: (I don't remember any)

Not everyone had to go through it, and is now required only for a few. This was in the 1960s at Otis AFB, which is now an ANG base. Due to its location, they were able to offer training in both water and woodland survival. A memorable experience!

At a +27 it is 50 degrees warmer this morning than yesterday morning.

At a +27 it is 50 degrees warmer this morning than yesterday morning.
WHAT? It's 22 here in my part of Texas this morning. :confused:

I wish I could bottle up some of this stuff and save it for July and August around here.

EDIT: I just went outside (8:15am cst) and the thermometer near the barn indicated it was 20. However, there is no wind blowing and the sun is shinning through. It's so much more comfortable than yesterday when it was 25 degrees and a 25 mph north wind blowing and damp air.

Last edited:
That's pretty darned cold. My own personal coldest was in January 1978 at a US Navy training facility located in Rangeley, Maine. It was about -20F and the wind was howling at a good 30 mph. The cold was exacerbated by the fact that I was floundering through many feet of snow and had no shelter or food.

That, is true character building.

Today's workout...3 hours of hard shoveling. We got a good foot of snow overnight, and I have a long, wide driveway that collects large drifts and can be a bear to clear.

driveway.jpg

Attachments

• sidewalk1.jpg
    sidewalk1.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 21
  • sidewalk2.jpg
    sidewalk2.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 20
A brutal 54F today in SW PA. :LOL:Had to take off my jacket walking to the coffeee shop.

We somehow lucked out and found a 2 hour window Christmas afternoon to trek home from our daughter's in MSP....wet roads, no ice, 24 hours later out here in Central MN it's 18 degrees, snowing with a steady wind at 30MPH gusting to 35-40 MPH....ahh, a lovely winter day.

Once again we were on the warm side of this storm system. It hit 46 here in southern Wisconsin on Sunday with pretty heavy rain before the storm moved northward and hit us with a brief cold snap Monday. Winds were pretty intense as the temp dropped, but the change was dry ... no precip.

It's just really weird to see these early winter storms come out of the west/southwest so often after a lifetime of having winter arrive on a series of Alberta clippers.

Thanks for posting! That is quite the blizzard. That photo with the snow against the door is crazy.
That is a LOT of snow!!! :eek:

Retired people who live in such snowy, cold regions, must be a lot tougher than I am because I would be tempted to move south ASAP. But then, I have never lived that far north so maybe there are advantages to it that I don't realize. I guess that with all that snow to remove, a gym membership wouldn't be necessary so there's that.

Today it is 75F with thick fog here in New Orleans, and rain is predicted for this afternoon.

Snow is seldom anything we have to deal with here and when it happens, I just stay home because many people here (such as me) can't drive in it. This article (written after our 2008 snowfall) talks about snow in New Orleans:
Snow in New Orleans is a rarity. The last time it snowed was Christmas 2004; before that, the last snow recorded was in 1989, according to Jim Vasilj, a forecaster with the National Weather Service. Since 1850, snow had fallen in "measurable amounts" rather than traces in the city just 17 times, Vasilj said.

That is a LOT of snow!!! :eek:
Snow is seldom anything we have to deal with here and when it happens, I just stay home because many people here (such as me) can't drive in it. This article (written after our 2008 snowfall) talks about snow in New Orleans:

Many years ago I was at a conference in Huntsville AL; while I was there it snowed about 2 inches. I had no idea until then how bad that was for the locals. I saw a car with chains on and having trouble with the snow; the driver was waiting for a light to change and when it did he tried to accelerate so fast the chains were throwing up pieces of pavement.

Retired people who live in such snowy, cold regions, must be a lot tougher than I am because I would be tempted to move south ASAP. But then, I have never lived that far north so maybe there are advantages to it that I don't realize. I guess that with all that snow to remove, a gym membership wouldn't be necessary so there's that.

Technology has made winter far more bearable...great lightweight clothing, command start, heated seats, etc.

If you don't feel like going out...no problem, almost anything you want can be delivered.

Other than shoveling every now and then, yard work is non-existent from October until April.

It's usually cheaper to heat than cool a house.

There are no bugs.

If anyone is interested here are pictures of the Christmas blizzard taken in Bismarck/Mandan. It was much worse there than here.

Christmas Blizzard of 2016 - Gallery | North Dakota | MyNDNow

Thank you for the visual reminders of why I left Maine all those years ago. Just looking at them brings back sensory memories of the long cold winters.

And the worst storm I ever experienced while there was one where the snow only reached to the doorknob on the outside door.

Minnesotans are a much hardier breed than I could ever be. Sunny and 58 degrees here today. I don't care for the summers here at all, but the "winters" make up for it. :D

Thanks for posting! That is quite the blizzard. That photo with the snow against the door is crazy.

I'm not trying to be a putz or anything, but that doesn't look like that much snow to me. Definitely high drifts, but that appears to be due to flat land and high winds. How much did they actually get? It looks like maybe a foot, at least on open ground? I'm surprised that would be such a big deal in a place like ND. We get a lot more than that off and on in VA and MD, which are much farther south. Maybe there's not enough moisture up there to get the really deep snows?

Thank you for the visual reminders of why I left Maine all those years ago. Just looking at them brings back sensory memories of the long cold winters.

And the worst storm I ever experienced while there was one where the snow only reached to the doorknob on the outside door.

Minnesotans are a much hardier breed than I could ever be. Sunny and 58 degrees here today. I don't care for the summers here at all, but the "winters" make up for it. :D

Hmmm...not sure why I wrote "Minnesotans" when I meant North Dakota folks. Brain cramp. :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm not trying to be a putz or anything, but that doesn't look like that much snow to me. Definitely high drifts, but that appears to be due to flat land and high winds. How much did they actually get? It looks like maybe a foot, at least on open ground? I'm surprised that would be such a big deal in a place like ND. We get a lot more than that off and on in VA and MD, which are much farther south. Maybe there's not enough moisture up there to get the really deep snows?
We generally do not get a lot of snow during the course of a winter, usually not much more than 36 inches. There are no large bodies of water to moderate temps so we get 3 or 4 inches at a time associated with Alberta clippers. This last storm brought up moisture from the Guf of Mexico. The Bismarck blizzard was about 12 inches. The wind and the open land cause severe drifting in towns. The biggest problem here is that after Thanksgiving whatever snow does fall will be here untill the spring melt, usually early April. The longest cold snap I have ever seen was about 90 consecutive days of below zero temps day and night in the winter of 1978/1979.

Yep. I was stationed in Syracuse for a few years long ago, which sits in the "snow belt" of upstate New York. Something called the Lake Effect takes any moisture in the air over the Great Lakes and dumps it on that area in the form of snow.

One winter while I lived in Syracuse we had 155 total inches (about 4 meters), but locals simply dealt with it -- business as usual in that area.

I don't miss it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom