This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's two-stage. While it can really throw, the length of the arrangement makes it a little tricky to maneuver so the design lost favor. Some early Simplicity blowers also used the parallel impeller.

This was a commercial-grade machine in its day, although it's on the small side with only 5 hp. I'm guessing it's 30+ years old.

Well, I guess winter has arrived. We got 10 inches of snow and this morning the temp was -18 degrees. Fortunately very little wind today.

I see the object that was blocking the earthcam is gone. I looked at the cam a couple of days ago and could not see anything blocking it. The object looked a little like a windshield wiper but I don't know if they have that on the camera

Nodak, You can keep that cold weather right there!

It did look like a windshield wiper; maybe it's a new addition.

Agree that it's miserable. .... 44° at 7 am. So glad I don't have to go outside then. ... another FIRE benefit (even though my gas & electric was $70 up from $44 last month)

For those of you in colder areas, stay safe my friends

Last edited:
It's a bit brisk here today.

Attachments

• 15442158_10153927387091574_8965179818926881970_n.jpg
    15442158_10153927387091574_8965179818926881970_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 33
Just heard from a friend at my former job site. Windchill today is -56°.

I think you're sending your temps our way, Nodak--Looking at a Chicago forecast for Sunday for -2. For the high. I don't know what the wind chill might be as I don't pay attention to them (-2 can stand on its own as damn cold), but c'mon, weather gods--it's only mid-December!

It is supposed to warm up quite a bit next week. We might be in the mid 30s.

-3 this morning and tried to do a bit of plowing and sanding of the driveway. They say it will be freezing rain on Sunday so need to get things as clear as possible before that or it will turn into a luge run. Was a pain because the bobcat is diesel and hydraulic and REALLY doesn't enjoy working below zero. The sand was frozen so had to break it up before I could shovel it in the hopper. At least is is sunny.

Ha

Is he part of the "keep Portland weird"?

Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure - he has a website you could check out here: The Unipiper

He's in Portland, 'weird' is relative... but my guess is that the answer is yes. :D

-3 this morning and tried to do a bit of plowing and sanding of the driveway. They say it will be freezing rain on Sunday so need to get things as clear as possible before that or it will turn into a luge run. Was a pain because the bobcat is diesel and hydraulic and REALLY doesn't enjoy working below zero. The sand was frozen so had to break it up before I could shovel it in the hopper. At least is is sunny.

Set a pan of charcoal embers under the hydraulic and oil pans. Careful don't get the hoses too hot and beware of any drips. If you have a heavy canvas make a tent like structure around the machine.
We did that all the time with diesel dozers, loaders, and skidders that were left out in the timber. I'd heard of one brave soul who did that with a gas machine, I assume he was just insane!

Of course you can get a salamander type heater with the canvas shroud, that's a little less thrilling.

I just got a Kat's stick-on heater pad from Amazon for the hydraulic pump on my snow plow. Hopefully, it will get the hydraulics warmed up enough to work when I start out. Once it gets warmed from use, it is OK. Kat's makes all different sizes of stick-on heaters that could be used on the diesel fuel filter and the engine oil pan. In my situation it helps to use Meyer hydraulic fluid in the plow. It seems to work better in low temps.

I have been using a paint stripper heat gun to warm the hydraulic pump. It looks and works like a hair dryer only it gets hotter. It is probably just a little safer than coals under the truck. :)

This picture is abot a year old but tonight is supposed about -20.

Attachments

• 1507861_1564265120472483_4720481879633231584_n.jpg
    1507861_1564265120472483_4720481879633231584_n.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 18
I think I will stay inside this weekend.

Attachments

• imageserve.jpg
    imageserve.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 19
That's amazing, Nodak!

It's 80F here in New Orleans at the moment. I'm barefoot and wearing short shorts and a skimpy top.

Mondays highs are supposed to be in the 40's, though. Brrr. That feels very cold to me since we are not used to it. We are definitely on the weather rollercoaster with all these ups and downs.

While we haven't had the below-zero temperatures that others have, the highs the last couple of days have been in the low 20's and the lows to 5° F so the road pavement is freezing. Then early this morning a warm front came in and it started raining. It doesn't take a physicist to figure out what happened next - the rain froze on the road, and because of the new rain falling, you have water on top of ice. It's hard to stand up on that let alone drive.

And yet people try driving with predictable results: Two Dead, 11 Hurt In Icy, 40-Vehicle Crash on I-95 « CBS Baltimore

That's only one of many, many others around the tri-state area.

Our vehicles aren't going to turn a wheel today, staying safely in the garage. Glad I'm retired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom