This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older I get, the more this winter weather wears on me. I have a serious case of cabin fever right now.

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. South wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

A high of 34 is a heat wave compared to the last few weeks. :cool:
Less than 1 inch of snow is a godsend. :LOL:

Well here is some good news . Weather has been nice in Florida the last few days . High 70's ! In fact last night we were at a restaurant on the water at 5 Pm to 7:30 Pm and sat outside . Bring a light jacket or sweat shirt and enjoy the break .

The weather in Florida was beautiful!! I so hated coming back last night.

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 34. South wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

A high of 34 is a heat wave compared to the last few weeks. :cool:
Less than 1 inch of snow is a godsend. :LOL:

Hey day 6 and 7 of the seven day Forecast at Environment Canada are calling for +4 and +5 C :clap::clap::clap:Accuweather has 1 and 2 C for the same days but higher for days 7 and 8. There is hope. Now wait for them to change it.

I'm waiting for the well guy. 48 hours under 18F and the whole pump house blew up. The well motor is working, but the pump(12 YO) ran without moving water for maybe 6-12 hours. Finished up the PVC piping in the pump house, yesterday when it was in the high 60's. Have a 300 gal drinking water tank, to hold us over until the pump gets fixed.

All my California sages are black and mushy, but maybe the roots will survive.

Haven't seen a Hummingbird since Friday.

48 hours under 18F and the whole pump house blew up.
Ouch. No water = not good.

We had 60+ hours with temps between 16 and 27. A pipe from our well to the storage tank froze but the insulation and a little heat in the pump house kept all the other piping and pressure pump flowing. I got the frozen pipe thawed with no damage so we not only dodged a bullet, we were never without water.

I've added more insulation around the area where the pipe froze - hope I can avoid a repeat next time.

Ouch. No water = not good.

We had 60+ hours with temps between 16 and 27. A pipe from our well to the storage tank froze but the insulation and a little heat in the pump house kept all the other piping and pressure pump flowing. I got the frozen pipe thawed with no damage so we not only dodged a bullet, we were never without water.

I've added more insulation around the area where the pipe froze - hope I can avoid a repeat next time.

My pump house is insulated. We have been down to 14 with only outside faucets freezing. Like most of S Arizona are water pipes are not buried very deep.

Already 55 @8AM, but 30 mph winds, looks like they are going your way.

Currently have 104F here in Northern Illinois.

Well, that's the surface temperature of the outside of the gray solid colored stained cement siding on the south side wall of my house. Measured with my infra-red sensor. Outside temps 14F, almost no wind. That keeps it about 50F in my unheated, but reasonably well insulated 3-season room (one wall common with the house).

Kept the heat off all night, and only had it on for an hour or this AM. Still ~ 61F in the house. I'll turn it up before I take a shower, that helps disperse the humidity, then probably keep it off until dinner time. The snow reflects a lot of solar energy on the house.

If only there was some cost effective way to capture that heat on the south facing walls and route it inside. I'd certainly consider an envelope style design if I were doing new construction in this area. I bet I could cut my heating bills to a third what they are, but that's still requires a low cost to get a decent payback.

-ERD50

Currently have 104F here in Northern Illinois.

Well, that's the surface temperature of the outside of the gray solid colored stained cement siding on the south side wall of my house.

If only there was some cost effective way to capture that heat on the south facing walls and route it inside. I'd certainly consider an envelope style design if I were doing new construction in this area. I bet I could cut my heating bills to a third what they are, but that's still requires a low cost to get a decent payback.

-ERD50
I think there is. I really like this guy's approach to the problem. It probably wouldn't be cost-effective if you paid for the labor (or included DIY labor at a realistic rate), but it would be a fun project. He got good payback even in Montana, which is a challenging environment. This application heats domestic water, but it would be simple enough to add a small heat exchanger in the HVAC system to use for space heating. It's definitely not big enough to provide all the heat for a typical home.

Features I like: Lots of storage and easy to add more. Simple. "virtually 100% efficient" water/water heat exchanger. Cheap ($1000 in materials)
Things I'd do differently:
-- The drainback system has worked flawlessly for him, but I'd probably add a failsafe redundant system. One malfunctioning contact and a frigid night could ruin a lot of PEX or copper.
-- IIRC, he didn't explain how he handles the CU/AL dissimilar metal corrosion potential in the non-PEX version of the collector.
For space heating there are, of course, simpler approaches using just a collector and a fan, but the ability to use this year-round for DHW significantly speeds payback.

Ruh roh...this is heading right in our direction, probably reaching our area later today.
Central New York Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

When a lake effect snow band is this organized, it will be a doozy. A friend in Watertown reported 4 inches overnight. Pulaski NY got 2 feet of snow over the past few days. :blink: Look for Pulaski in the middle of the map near Lake Ontario's eastern shore.

No, I do not live in Pulaski and never will. :nonono:

The sun is shining brightly here today. So nice to see that. :D

We've got about the same as Ronstar's weather, 16 below this morning and forecast upper 30s for the weekend. Can hardly wait for spring, the older I get the more I hate winter; cold isn't too bad but I really dislike the snow.

Did the Celsii show up?

How about the Kelvins?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom