This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a youtube one of my co-workers sent me, a few shots from the recent snowstorm. I think some friends of his shot this out their front window. This hill is steeper than it looks in the photo (mentally rotate the screen until the utility pole in the foreground is vertical), and appears to have frozen into a solid sheet of ice.
YouTube - Sliding Cars in Seattle Snow on 11/22/10

All the guests, including the one who came by dial-a-ride, were able to make it to Thanksgiving dinner. One of the other guests had a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and came over to my parents' home to pick us up, and it was a good thing too, as there was still quite a bit of ice on the roads Thursday afternoon.

Hard to believe it was only a week ago. You wouldn't know there was any such thing as snow to look at the streets now.

That is E John St between 13th and 14th Aves E. Funny, but by our standards that is not much of a hill. If I am tired coming home I always walk up John, rather than other steeper hills.

Also funny that the #43 bus that slid into the pole was one of the few running around here, as its route is overall flatter than some others like the 10, 8, and 2. I got along fine as I walk, and I have city crampons and really good Merrill boots. It totally sucks to drive in Seattle when it gets snowy.

Ha

Here's a youtube one of my co-workers sent me, a few shots from the recent snowstorm. I think some friends of his shot this out their front window. This hill is steeper than it looks in the photo (mentally rotate the screen until the utility pole in the foreground is vertical), and appears to have frozen into a solid sheet of ice.
YouTube - Sliding Cars in Seattle Snow on 11/22/10

Wow!! What a video. Unbelievable!! I am glad you had a four wheel drive to get you through that ice to your Thanksgiving dinner.

The weather here is interesting today. I awakened at 7 AM to the sounds or torrential rainfall (and immediately resumed sleeping peacefully). Now, at 9 AM the rain has slowed to a normal level and BIG winds are gusting and whistling through the area. The front is supposed to lower the temperature quite a bit from yesterday's high of 80F, to predicted highs of 68F (today) and 56F (tomorrow).

I am staying home today, waiting for the UPS man since I will probably have to sign for my new laptop (besides, I am dying to see it). I hope the rain and wind and cold do not deter him. Tracking says it is "out for delivery". :D

Last edited:
I got stuck in Redwood Falls, Minnesota in a snow storm last night. Ten inches of snow and even worse, it is very windy with drifting snow. I just dug out my car from the hotel parking lot and am vacillating as to whether to try to leave. Road conditions are described as "difficult."

One of the other guests had a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and came over to my parents' home to pick us up, and it was a good thing too, as there was still quite a bit of ice on the roads Thursday afternoon.

Thus further spreading the myth that 4-wheel drive helps in most driving conditions. In fact, 4-wheel drive helps only during acceleration -- it is useless for braking or cornering. It has been my experience that 4-wheel drive is actually more dangerous than conventional drive vehicles (with front-wheel drive being the best) except when getting you out of the ditch after relying on 4-wheel drive to be "saved."

See for example (and there are many others):

The Myth About Four-Wheel Drive - from Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/

Thus further spreading the myth that 4-wheel drive helps in most driving conditions. In fact, 4-wheel drive helps only during acceleration -- it is useless for braking or cornering. It has been my experience that 4-wheel drive is actually more dangerous than conventional drive vehicles (with front-wheel drive being the best) except when getting you out of the ditch after relying on 4-wheel drive to be "saved."

See for example (and there are many others):

The Myth About Four-Wheel Drive - from Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/

It's amazing how people think that 4WD or AWD makes their vehicle handle better in snow and ice. They have the same 4 small contact patches of rubber with the road as everyone else. The only advantage they may have is if they are using all weather/terrain tires - and as you pointed out when accelerating - but it is not enough to overcome their foolish confidence when driving too fast for conditions...

At one point during the storm King county had 200 crashed/stranded buses :eek:.

I had to listen to the usual "the city can't do anything right in the snow" crap. I cannot think of a worse city than Seattle (Victoria, ca might be a close second) for having to deal with snow/ice. It has many steep hills, bridges and overpasses (which freeze early and quickly) and many rate limiting bottlenecks N:S and E:W. Stay at home folks unless you are essential services.

I left the MC at home and like Ha I donned the microspikes to clamber up and down the hills to and from work.

Mother Nature 1; Seattle 0

DD

Wow!! What a video. Unbelievable!! I am glad you had a four wheel drive to get you through that ice to your Thanksgiving dinner.

The weather here is interesting today. I awakened at 7 AM to the sounds or torrential rainfall (and immediately resumed sleeping peacefully). Now, at 9 AM the rain has slowed to a normal level and BIG winds are gusting and whistling through the area. The front is supposed to lower the temperature quite a bit from yesterday's high of 80F, to predicted highs of 68F (today) and 56F (tomorrow).

I am staying home today, waiting for the UPS man since I will probably have to sign for my new laptop (besides, I am dying to see it). I hope the rain and wind and cold do not deter him. Tracking says it is "out for delivery". :D
The weather had warmed up and turned to rain earlier in the day, so it was nowhere near that icy on my parents' street by time to leave for dinner on Thanksgiving. However, it is a steepish hill, and getting the car out of the garage involves a driveway you have to navigate backwards and uphill. There were still some icy patches in the driveway and the street, and they have no chains for their car. I think with chains it would not have been any problem.

I hope "neither rain, nor wind, nor gloom of night" delay the delivery of your laptop. Wait a minute, that's the post office, not UPS. :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
Brrr!!! It's 52 outside. Luckily my house is well insulated and it is 71 inside. The thermostat is set at 60, so my heater hasn't come on yet.

I was going to school in the SF bay area in the early 70's. I think it was 1973 when SF had a couple inches of snow, that was fun to watch.

Dark & rainy & soon (tomorrow) to get cold & maybe snow.

Wonder how long it will be before we hear from her again...

Sooner than you think. Dang blowing snow over the plains. I managed 46 miles in 2 hours. White out conditions made it nearly impossible in places. Now holed up in the next small town in a small town motel. But it has the intertubes!

I am now at the point of washing my underwear in the sink.

Brrr!!! It's 52 outside. Luckily my house is well insulated and it is 71 inside. The thermostat is set at 60, so my heater hasn't come on yet.
54 here. The wind is howling, a front is pushing through with cold, dry air behind it and we're supposed to be down around 25 overnight.

13 degrees and 35 mile an hour winds here, visibility is about 1/4 mile in drifting snow

Have you moved to your new home yet, Nodak?

Ha
Not yet, I am not real comfortable leaving my house sit empty in winter so am paying to hold the apartment and hoping for a buyer for the house. This is what it looks like here today:

Attachments

• 30 Nov 10.jpg
    30 Nov 10.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom