This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thus further spreading the myth that 4-wheel drive helps in most driving conditions. In fact, 4-wheel drive helps only during acceleration -- it is useless for braking or cornering.

It's amazing how people think that 4WD or AWD makes their vehicle handle better in snow and ice. They have the same 4 small contact patches of rubber with the road as everyone else. The only advantage they may have is if they are using all weather/terrain tires - and as you pointed out when accelerating - but it is not enough to overcome their foolish confidence when driving too fast for conditions...

I have not lived in snow country, but have learned to respect driving conditions when it is snowy and icy from driving to and from my place at 7000 ft in the winter.

Once, I stopped to offer help to a family who got stuck by the side of the road. They had a 4WD SUV, and thought of driving down a forest service road for the kids to play in snow. Just 20 ft off the highway, they realized it was not a good idea, and tried to back out. Nope. They got stuck on the cattle grate right at the entrance to the service road. The husband and I tried to push the car out to no avail. So, they ended up calling for a tow truck. The tires were regular, else I guessed the 4WD might have helped some.

What was impressive to me was that this was on flat land, covered with a mixture of snow and ice. It was not black ice and sloped, like the video of that Seattle street. Watching that, I expected a pedestrian to get squashed any moment by a sliding car. Scary!

The best way to use 4 wheel drive in snow is to not use it unless you get stuck. Then it will allow you to get back the way you came.

The best way to use 4 wheel drive in snow is to not use it unless you get stuck. Then it will allow you to get back the way you came.

Us in the frozen north where we have a winter of consistent snow know this, but it does seem to be news elsewhere. I was surprised to hear that people actually go around driving with 4 wheel drive engaged.

You have white out conditions today? I have made it to southern Minnesota and it looks like the wind died down and I am good to try driving again. Roads are now "fair" with icy and snowy patches, but no more white out.

I will be so glad to leave motel life.

EDIT: tried to leave and the car wouldn't start. *&^*ing *&*&$!

Last edited:
Us in the frozen north where we have a winter of consistent snow know this, but it does seem to be news elsewhere. I was surprised to hear that people actually go around driving with 4 wheel drive engaged.

You have white out conditions today? I have made it to southern Minnesota and it looks like the wind died down and I am good to try driving again. Roads are now "fair" with icy and snowy patches, but no more white out.

I will be so glad to leave motel life.
When I worked for the Air Force we had to brief every newly assigned person about using 4WD. So many came up here with new 4WD vehicles and proceeded to get themselves in trouble because they thought their vehicles could go through anything.

I my Jeep stuck once in 3 ft of snow. The wheels need to be on the ground in order for 4WD to work.

Who knew!!

a balmy 3 degrees now headed for -5 tonight, at least the storm has moved east.

This cold weather is messing up my golf. Doesn't sound bad to other parts of the country(33 now), but the wind takes a bite out of you. Guess it's time to ditch the shorts.

This cold weather is messing up my golf. Doesn't sound bad to other parts of the country(33 now), but the wind takes a bite out of you. Guess it's time to ditch the shorts.

Ya think? :LOL:

I ditched mine a few weeks ago and even got out my winter coat. It has been cold lately!

Wait...wouldn't you be warmer if you left your shorts on? :confused:

:angel:

Farty eight point nine degrees here...

Winter is definitely here, the forecast for the weekend:
Saturday:
Cloudy, with a high near 2.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -17.
Sunday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -14.
Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 3.

Winter is definitely here, the forecast for the weekend:
Saturday: Cloudy, with a high near 2.
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -17.
Sunday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -5.
Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -14.
Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 3.
:eek:

We got perhaps 8 inches total over the past 3 days.
:-X

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: December 07, 2010 14:39:53 MST

Wednesday: Sunny. Highs 67 to 72.

Thursday: Sunny. Highs 70 to 75..

Friday: Sunny. Highs 69 to 74.

Saturday: Sunny. Highs 68 to 73.

Saturday through Tuesday: Mostly clear highs 67 to 73.

3 miles from New Mexico, and 30 miles from Old Mexico

Loving the weather, grasshopper.

Forecast for Eastern Cochise County below 5000 feet
Area Forecast For:
Issued: December 07, 2010 14:39:53 MST

Wednesday: Sunny. Highs 67 to 72.

Thursday: Sunny. Highs 70 to 75..

Friday: Sunny. Highs 69 to 74.

Saturday: Sunny. Highs 68 to 73.

Saturday through Tuesday: Mostly clear highs 67 to 73.

3 miles from New Mexico, and 30 miles from Old Mexico

Loving the weather, grasshopper.
I'm obviously living in the wrong place. :confused:

Freezing or near freezing temperatures are predicted here for tonight, with possible snow on the North Shore (of Lake Ponchartrain), and possible sleet here on the South Shore. Brrrr. It seems so early in the season for it to be this cold. Lows in our eventual retirement destination in Missouri are predicted to be around 17F. Brrrr.

It could be worse. I read about seniors in London riding on public transportation all day long just to stay warm in their recent cold weather.

Last edited:
Got about four inches of snow with sixteen inch drift on my sidewalk today. Buffalo sixty miles east has over three feet and London fifty miles west has almost a meter. My lucky week.

About 3 inches of snow just fell. Will be getting at least 6 more over the weekend:( I refuse to drive in snow on the local highway between home and work. That means once I get to work friday afternoon I will have to stay in town until I get off work monday 5am. I'll be spending have the money I make to pay for hotels. Either that or call in saturday and sunday and use up 1/3 of the call-ins I get for the attendance year which started dec 1st. I HATE winter:yuk:

About 3 inches of snow just fell. Will be getting at least 6 more over the weekend:( I refuse to drive in snow on the local highway between home and work. That means once I get to work friday afternoon I will have to stay in town until I get off work monday 5am. I'll be spending have the money I make to pay for hotels. Either that or call in saturday and sunday and use up 1/3 of the call-ins I get for the attendance year which started dec 1st. I HATE winter:yuk:

That sucks. They don't have couchsurfing in your city do they? Free couch for a couple of nights would be great in this situation!

That sucks. They don't have couchsurfing in your city do they? Free couch for a couple of nights would be great in this situation!

I've never heard of couchsurfing. I did check Craigslist for anyone looking to rent on a daily basis but only found monthly or longer. Not exactly LA where you have 1000+ options. There are only about 10 in the city i'm looking at.

I've never heard of couchsurfing. I did check Craigslist for anyone looking to rent on a daily basis but only found monthly or longer. Not exactly LA where you have 1000+ options. There are only about 10 in the city i'm looking at.

Yeah, I figured it was a long shot. :(

Going to be an interesting week end, at least the storm will miss us.

Saturday Night:
Partly cloudy, with a low around -22. Wind chill values as low as -34. North northwest wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near -3. Northwest wind around 7 mph.

Going to be an interesting week end, at least the storm will miss us.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -22. Wind chill values as low as -34. North northwest wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near -3. Northwest wind around 7 mph.

As much as I hate the cold, i'd rather have -22 than have the 10 inches of snow that i'm going to be getting when I have to leave home to go to w*rk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom