This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
While using an axe (yes, really) to chop through enough ice to get the garage door open this morning, I suddenly had the thought that I should really be grateful for the opportunity to someday say ...

"Why, this is nothing. NOTHING, I tell ya! I remember back in the winter of '14 ..."

"Why, this is nothing. NOTHING, I tell ya! I remember back in the winter of '14 ..."

I have some cousins who live in Buffalo, NY. They do indeed have some stories. The snowfalls we count in inches they count in feet.

Yeah, I lived in Syracuse 68-71, and the average annual snowfall was 155 inches. That "lake effect" is pretty powerful.

I have some cousins who live in Buffalo, NY. They do indeed have some stories. The snowfalls we count in inches they count in feet.

My inlaws lived in Hamburg near Buffalo in the 70's. We used to visit from CT when the kids were small. We were there visiting for the blizzard '78 (year correct?). Snow to the roof top...

My inlaws lived in Hamburg near Buffalo in the 70's. We used to visit from CT when the kids were small. We were there visiting for the blizzard '78 (year correct?). Snow to the roof top...

My favorite is the one when they got 7 feet of snow in one day. My cousin couldn't get the outside doors open so he had to climb out a 2nd floor window to shovel out enough to open the storm door. Seems at that point one starts to think in terms of tunneling rather than shoveling.

My favorite is the one when they got 7 feet of snow in one day. My cousin couldn't get the outside doors open so he had to climb out a 2nd floor window to shovel out enough to open the storm door. Seems at that point one starts to think in terms of tunneling rather than shoveling.

You have to like snow to live in or near Buffalo...:LOL:

Here in way South Texas at the 26th parallel we have been stuck in the 30s and fog for two days straight. 34-37 temp range. Yesterday's high of 37 was 33 degrees below normal - our lowest high for this winter. Drizzling most of the time but no snow. This is weird!

No freeze here yet all winter so our plants are still flowering. Our Rufous Hummingbird has spent most of the day at the feeders so we put out fresh nectar.

Supposed to get back to the 60s today. :) We'll actually get to see the sun!

63F here where I am, and sunny. Just went for a walk around the neighborhood. It will hit the high 70s this weekend.

Hard to believe that in TX, as far south as Houston, it is down to 37F.

Meanwhile, Miami is up to 83F. I would have to run the A/C if it's that warm.
See above post. Way souther than Houston - same thing.

I started this thread several years ago, now is the time to sing its reprise.

Portland (actually Salem north to at least Longview WA): Lots of snow, bitter cold, for 4 days and now there is the threat of ice during the warm-up.

Pineapple Express colliding with cold front out of Alberta...

This is an annoying time of year, looking outside the sun is shinning brightly and it looks like a beautiful day but it is 2 above and windchill of 10 below.

The USPS decided to visit our mailbox today. First time in 5 days.

I think the county had to do more work on the roads. Someone went off a 90 degree corner. There was the car, wrecker, and county sheriff car. The sheriff's car could get to the accident, but there was no way a 2wd car was getting back up either direction. Looks like several passes were made to the county road afterwards.
MRG

My favorite is the one when they got 7 feet of snow in one day. My cousin couldn't get the outside doors open so he had to climb out a 2nd floor window

Ah, the joys of the Central New York "lake effect."

This exact scenario happened to a friend of mine in Syracuse. Not sure of the year, but it was either 1969 or 1970.

The kicker is that he was the weather officer at the military base I was at. He predicted flurries and went to bed a contented man. Next morning he was forced to climb out his 2nd floor bedroom window to dig his car out to get to work. :facepalm:

Needless to say, he never quite lived that one down! :LOL:

The kicker is that he was the weather officer at the military base I was at. He predicted flurries and went to bed a contented man. Next morning he was forced to climb out his 2nd floor bedroom window to dig his car out to get to work. :facepalm:

Needless to say, he never quite lived that one down! :LOL:

We had something like that in (I'll never forget it!) 1966 in Maryland. The forecast was flurries, we got 3 feet of them and being the light fluffy kind it blew around in high winds so much for the following two days it was hard to tell it had stopped snowing.

We got a whole week off school.:dance:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391909381.284901.jpg

I started this thread several years ago, now is the time to sing its reprise.

Portland (actually Salem north to at least Longview WA): Lots of snow, bitter cold, for 4 days and now there is the threat of ice during the warm-up.

Pineapple Express colliding with cold front out of Alberta...
I got 3-4" of the white stuff yesterday night here in Lacey WA, so I'm stuck in the house for today. There is a 30% chance of more precip today, and depending on whether it falls during the day (with predicted high temp of 41) or at night (predicted low of 37) it could either be rain or more snow. Then tomorrow it's supposed to warm up and maybe rain, which will turn it all into a slushy mess.

Small beer by the standard of this thread, but I have 2.5-3"this morning in Central Seattle. Ina bit I'll try my crutches on snow. I am low on bacon.

Ha

I got 3-4" of the white stuff yesterday night here in Lacey WA, so I'm stuck in the house for today.

My brothers live in Castle Rock and Kelso......Castle Rock had a good 8" and was expecting 3" more.... Most since 2008. Not exactly the snow capital.....

Small beer by the standard of this thread, but I have 2.5-3"this morning in Central Seattle. Ina bit I'll try my crutches on snow. I am low on bacon.

Ha

Be careful! Maybe bacon could wait. :( With a bad hip and crutches, your venture doesn't sound promising.

Managed a grocery run yesterday morning. Sunny and 23F now.

Be careful! Maybe bacon could wait. :( With a bad hip and crutches, your venture doesn't sound promising.

You don't understand. Desperation will make an otherwise wise man take foolish risks. After all, this is bacon we're talking about.:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom