This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this

Attachments

• 10931255_659415510830052_1498943422523113747_n.jpg
    10931255_659415510830052_1498943422523113747_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 19
It has been fairly good in SW PA. Maybe not so good in some parts of Canada.

By the way does your snowplow work this good?

Thanks ls99 I might need that plow by Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I feel for you folks in NY and Boston area. Stay safe.

Some of my cousins in Buffalo, NY have neat war stories to tell!

Here's the snowfall picture so far...not too bad where I am, but just 15 miles to the north on the Tug Hill Plateau... :eek:
The snowmobilers are very happy. It's great for local businesses to have all those snow tourists coming up here.

NERFC Snow Page

Living out in the country with this kind of snowfall is one thing because there is plenty of open area to get it off the roads.
Urban areas have to be completely blocked in by the white stuff.

My back deck is covered with about 2 feet of snow. I had to cut a narrow path to the generator under the enclosed porch yesterday. Today I had to shave snow off the piled up snowbanks that reached the bottom of my mailbox.

And it is still snowing...I'll take some pics and post them.

Last edited:
Snow in East Nowhere NY as of Feb 9, 2015.
Mailbox and recently carved out layers of snow-ologic time, back deck (26 inches measured freefall snow in the middle), driveway snow hilled up by snowplow in front of a 6 foot wooden fence, 30 gallon garbage can on front steps, and scale for back deck. :D

Attachments

• Snowfall-Feb2015-1NoNumber.jpg
    Snowfall-Feb2015-1NoNumber.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Snowfall-Feb2015-2 (2).jpg
    Snowfall-Feb2015-2 (2).jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Snowfall-Feb2015-5 (2).jpg
    Snowfall-Feb2015-5 (2).jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Snowfall-Feb2015-4 (2).jpg
    Snowfall-Feb2015-4 (2).jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Snowfall-Feb2015-3 (2).jpg
    Snowfall-Feb2015-3 (2).jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Brings back nightmares of me living in Connecticut. I spoke with my sister today in CT and mentioned to her it was 80 F here yesterday and I cut the grass.

Looking good from here freebird. Any Snow Agel pics? Glad we are only schedoled for a dusting in SW PA.

Brings back nightmares of me living in Connecticut. I spoke with my sister today in CT and mentioned to her it was 80 F here yesterday and I cut the grass.

Ya just had to rub it in didn't ya?

I would have too.:LOL:

So long, farewell, Aufwiedersen, goodbye...my gardening buddy and I shoveled 28 inches of snow off the 20' x 20' deck today. I played Soundscapes digital music channel through my Bose speakers, and we got it all cleared off in 3 hours flat.

28F, no wind and lots of laughing about "OMG...are we really going to be able to do this?"
You betcha...CAN DO !!!

I did the lighter snow (top 12 inches) and then used the shovel like I was planting a tree to break up the packed down lower layers into manageable chunks. He did the heavy w*rk, lifting and throwing the snow off the deck into the yard.

TEAMW*RK !!!!!

My muscles are killing me head to toe. BUT...talk about an all body w*rkout. My buddy is 66 and w*rked like a 20 year old. I'm 56 and have hand and wrist issues, but so did I.

I treated him to a late lunch and drinks afterwards. He had a pita pocket stuffed with tuna salad and French fries and several glasses of wine afterwards. I had a huge bleu cheese burger and lots of bottles of Coors Lite.

Whee ! :dance:

Last edited:
Okay, this is getting as bad as last year. Forecast for -3° F tonight. DW is leaving soon to babysit grandnieces. Their house, an end unit townhouse, was 58° inside this morning and not on purpose. Sure glad we have natural gas heat!

She is taking thermals and foot and hand warmers.

Attachments

• forecast.JPG
    forecast.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 18
Here in the DC area, this winter wasn't *too* bad, yet, at least until the past couple weeks. Now 2013-14 was a cold one...lowest overall average temperatures since 2008-09, which was when I really started keeping track. Incidentally, the year I switched from oil heat to an all-electric heat pump.

This past weekend, it got cold enough that I had a pipe freeze...something I haven't had happen since the winter of 2009-10. Nothing too serious, thankfully. Usually I would let the faucets drip when temps got too cold, but then I read somewhere that you only need to let one drip, not all of them. So, I tried it. And in the morning, I turned them all on, just to see how they did, and they all opened up except the cold water for the bathroom sink. I put a space heater under the bathroom (crawlspace all around, no basement) and in a couple hours it freed up. Hopefully, no permanent damage.

We're supposed to get temps in the negatives on Thursday night...not looking forward to that! Hope my space heater holds up!

Apparently Niagra Falls has frozen over.

Niagara Falls Has Frozen Over -- NYMag
The headline of the article reads: "First the Bryant Park Fountain, Now Niagara Falls, Next the World".

Hah! We have had very little snow up in the high-country home this year.

And at the low-desert home, my wife's bok choy plants have literally gone to seed because the daily high has been in the mid 80s, a full 15F above the normal high. My snap peas have just germinated, and the way it's going I wonder if they can grow fast enough to produce before the blistering heat gets here.

I'm in awe of the folks who have dealt with such snowfalls. We had a total of 9.5 inches here in the last 48 hours, and that's simple to deal with. My John Deere garden tractor with a 48" blade can clear my driveway in half an hour.

Reminds me of when I lived in Syracuse, NY long ago and we got 155" one year. People simply dealt with it -- not that big a deal.

I'm in awe of ALL of you northerners, and your skills, experience, and abilities in dealing with the many, varied hazards presented by freezing weather.

Tonight we have a freeze warning but they tell us we don't have to drip our pipes, thank goodness. I hope they're right. I don't have any pets to protect from the cold. If my plants don't make it, then good riddance.

As usual, both a few days before and a few days after freezes like this are generally in the 70's, down here. Winter weather here is almost as much of a roller coaster as the financial markets.

Getting down to around -7 tonight. Tomorrow a heat wave at around 3. The good thing about this time of year is that we can go grocery shopping and leave the groceries in the car during other stops without the groceries spoiling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It all depends on where you are.

These photos were taken yesterday morning at about 6.15am on the Brisbane River.

However, they are expecting the effects of a tropical cyclone to ht Brisbane tomorrow with up to 300 mm of rain.

Attachments

• EP1030270.jpg
    EP1030270.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 9
  • EP1030277.jpg
    EP1030277.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 10
For the past two months or so about 3 to 6 inches of global warming are all around town and the neighborhood.

Tomorrow's high is scheduled to be around +3 F. Fridays morning looks to be around -11F.

We are at number 2 for the snowiest winter in Boston at 96.7 inches and all but 5 inches of it fell since January 27th. In 1996 we got 107 inches over a two and half months period which made it much more manageable. Also this has been the second coldest February on record so what's falling is not melting at all and there is no space left for any more snow.

I'm glad I no longer have to commute 45 miles in this mess. At times the commute took almost 3 hours in treacherous conditions.

Only 30 more days until the first day of spring.......

Last edited:
The thing thats interesting in north Texas are the big swings in temp from one day to the next (e.g. 40-50 degrees) and we've had a few transitions like that since last November. Any how, planning on softball practice tomorrow morning.

Having come from the northeast, I am dumb founded as to what is happening up in Boston with roofs collapsing and no more room to put the snow. All you folks that are putting up with the super cool air and snow, stay safe out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom