This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just enjoyed a few 50 and 60 degree days but looking at the forecast, we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow in Denver. I should be able to snowshoe in my neighborhood which is a rare occurrence.

I found this article today...the Hudson River is not very wide in comparison to other US rivers, so it will freeze faster. I grew up on the Hudson near NYC. It's a neat article from the aspect of "how do they do that ?". Enjoy :D

"Under Frozen Tundra, an Icebreaking Ship Uncovers the Hudson", source New York Times.

HUDSON, N.Y. — As the sun came up on Friday morning, the Sturgeon Bay, a 140-foot Coast Guard icebreaker, creaked and lurched through a frozen river, sending cracks scattering as dark water rose to the surface in pools, spraying beads of water that hit the ice like marbles, solid by the time they landed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/nyregion/under-frozen-tundra-an-icebreaking-ship-uncovers-the-hudson.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y.%20%2F%20Region&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Last edited:
Lake Erie almost always freezes up before Lake Ontario. It's much more shallow, so the water cools down quicker. It's also why Buffalo gets big piles of snow earlier in the winter, before the ice takes over.

Lake Erie almost always freezes up before Lake Ontario. It's much more shallow, so the water cools down quicker. It's also why Buffalo gets big piles of snow earlier in the winter, before the ice takes over.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Apparently the water is still flowing over the ice.

The water that flows over Niagara Falls has not come to an icy halt - despite what you might have heard on the news or read on the Internet.

Last edited:
Ahem!

It's a beautiful afternoon in the Okanagan Valley. Sunshine with temperature of 9 degrees Centigrade (48.2 F). The golf course down the road is already open. I took the plunge and bought a membership. I need to play 36 rounds to break even. But I have 8 months to do it!

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Apparently the water is still flowing over the ice.

The water is flowing under the ice. I was just down to look at it yesterday. Spectacular though the ice was thicker last year. This year we have had a sustained period of cold with some record lows so the freezing of the mist on everything around the Falls is pretty amazing.

I've been out shoveling snow this morning. It is 6 degrees with about 5 inches at my place. Predicting another 5 - 8 inches today. Looks like an afternoon of snow clearing and road plowing.

Still no snow to speak of here but this is the coldest morning we have had all winter. temp is -15 with a windchill of -30.

Just got done battling 6 inches of new snow...I cleared off the cars with my long handled rubber floor squeegee, shoveled the front steps, and dug out the mailbox.
Mr B moved the cars around for the plow guy while I did battle with the steps.
What a w*rkout ! It's light fluffy snow but there was a lot of it.
My neighbor (former co-w*rker) continues to keep the snow on the ground next to the mailbox at bay so the mailman can reach the mailbox.
I asked Mr B to go outside and give my Good Samaritan neighbor 4 Lindt Excellence chocolate bars as a thank you. I would offer him gas money for the snowblower but I know he'd be insulted. And anytime Mr B sees him at the Legion, he will buy him several chips for drinks.
I may live out in the country, which can be boring sometimes, but we all look out for each other in weather like this. :D

Baby, it's cold outside.

Woke up to the sound of sleet. The streets are covered. I was rather surprised there was very little traffic on the main roads around Dallas. No...I wasn't out there, just watched it on tv.

Yesterday's high turned out to be 82F, much warmer than predicted, with none of the predicted rain. We wore shorts and sandals and forgot about winter.

This morning I went out to empty the trash, barefoot and wearing shorts and a light top, only to be blasted by 47F temperatures, rain, and a cold wind. Brrrr!!! I love the weather here but this temperature rollercoaster sure makes it hard to know how to dress in the mornings. :LOL:

Freezing rain is happening right now in the Dallas/Ft. WOrth area. It's cold here in Houston with the temp at 40 F this morning.

Just spent the whole day clearing snow off the house, shoveling snow, and plowing snow. I have some more shoveling to do, but it will wait until tomorrow. Right now, its time for a brewski! :)

The great news is the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and it is a glorious late winter afternoon.

-5F scheduled for tonight. The day was sunny and downhill from +12F Currently +0.9F. The stove is working just fine, 78F inside. + of course.

Hit -8F here this morning. But the 10 day forecast looks promising. We may finally be headed out of this bitterly cold weather pattern!

Only -3 F here this morning. Even animals can't find shelter from this cold as I have a dead possum on the pile of snow in my backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom