This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quite alright, I'll take the cold over hurricanes any day. I've never spent a winter south of Minneapolis so I'm used to it.

I hope you didn't take offense! I don't mean it as "dissing" northern climates. I just have not lived north of Virginia in fifty years, so the cold would be very challenging for me to deal with.

And yes, I wouldn't want you to come here during the time of a hurricane impact, either. It's not nice. :)

I hope you didn't take offense! I don't mean it as "dissing" northern climates. I just have not lived north of Virginia in fifty years, so the cold would be very challenging for me to deal with.

And yes, I wouldn't want you to come here during the time of a hurricane impact, either. It's not nice. :)
No offense taken at all.

Reactions: W2R
I understand. I used to live north of Nodak, where Music Lover lives now. I moved because I didn't want to deal with the winters any more after over 20 years. They are extreme but strangely beautiful. I'm glad I had the experience.

Not sure exactly where you are, but I looked up Kelowna, and it is indeed relatively balmy compared to Cavalier, ND, or Winnipeg. :)

Posting this while the outside is 60F (16C).

Years ago there was a TV newsman that toured the country in a motor home and reported on it, his name escapes me now. He was in North Dakota in the winter and wrote a line I really think is so true: "In North Dakota the weather is a joke that keeps people together."

Attachments

• 1507861_1564265120472483_4720481879633231584_n.jpg
    1507861_1564265120472483_4720481879633231584_n.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
What is house construction like to stay warm in your neighborhood?
Pretty much normal 2x4 stud walls with lots of insulation in walls and roof with double pane windows. My balanced billing natural gas heating averages about $35 per month year around for a 900 square foot house. One of the advantages of the extreme cold is that we only get maybe 30 inches of snow all winter but it doesn't melt until spring. Whatever snow is on the ground at Thanksgiving will be there until spring. The coldest winter I remember was 1978-1979 we had more than 90 consecutive days of below zero temperatures.

Last edited:
This weather is awful!!

Pretty much normal 2x4 stud walls with lots of insulation in walls and roof with double pane windows. My balanced billing natural gas heating averages about $35 per month year around for a 900 square foot house. One of the advantages of the extreme cold is that we only get maybe 30 inches of snow all winter but it doesn't melt until spring. Whatever snow is on the ground at Thanksgiving will be there until spring. The coldest winter I remember was 1978-1979 we had more than 90 days of below zero temperatures.

We are the polar opposite, pun intended, here in DFW. In 2011, we had 40 days in a row over 100F, with an eventual total of 72.

The coldest temp I've experienced was -32F, having been fortunate enough to visit southern Indiana for Christmas on the coldest day ever recorded for that particular area.

No thanks, on both accounts actually...

We are the polar opposite, pun intended, here in DFW. In 2011, we had 40 days in a row over 100F, with an eventual total of 72.

The coldest temp I've experienced was -32F, having been fortunate enough to visit southern Indiana for Christmas on the coldest day ever recorded for that particular area.

No thanks, on both accounts actually...
That 1978-79 winter was consecutive days below zero. The record low for ND is -60 and the record high is +120; being in the center of the continent we have no large bodies of water to moderate temps.

That 1978-79 winter was consecutive days below zero. The record low for ND is -60 and the record high is +120; being in the center of the continent we have no large bodies of water to moderate temps.

Send up a few of ER forum moderators, They will fix that unruly stuff in short order. :)

I think cold temperature extremes are only scary to those who haven't experienced them.

Back in the early 70s, the place I lived in Colorado went 39 days without ever getting above 0°F. That's peanuts compared to Nodak's story from the late 70s, but still I don't remember being especially uncomfortable. Sure, you needed your lip balm whenever you went out, but down jackets were ubiquitous and it was no big deal to remember a hat and scarf.

Also, when I spent a couple of weeks in Iceland in January back in the 60s, it was -55°F and I never knew of a single frostbite case. People who live where such conditions can occur will learn to cope with them.

OTOH, I am one of those who simply can't abide extreme heat. When it's cold, you can always put something else on. Too hot and you quickly reach the point where you want to spend every minute indoors with air conditioning.

I am another that can't stand the heat. Anything above 80 degrees is very uncomfortable.

I am another that can't stand the heat. Anything above 80 degrees is very uncomfortable.

People vary. A good friend of mine is like that and really suffers in the summer. I don't come out of long sleeves until it's 80 or even 85 depending on humidity.

100 is getting on the warm side but if the humidity is low enough I don't mind it.

One of the things we splurge on is heat for the house. We keep it at 78, if DW is out babysitting I'll crank it up higher. It's affordable for us - lots of insulation and natural gas heat.

This is why I am not a candidate to move to North Dakota.:LOL:

This weather is awful!!

I'm not a North Dakota candidate either. I'll take the heat over cold. Having had my toes, fingers, and ear lobes frost bitten, they burn now when it's cold. No problems in the heat as long as I wear a hat and stay hydrated.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

We are ready for anything.

Attachments

• 1526254_521479137950062_1644832591_n.jpg
    1526254_521479137950062_1644832591_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
I wish it would get cold enough to stop snowing. Currently 12 degrees, windchill -3, and the 36 degree Lake Erie water is generating a lot of snow.......forecasting another 6-10 inches overnight. But we've had it easy this year, only a few inches all of December.

Attachments

• IMAG0176.jpg
    IMAG0176.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 15
One thing I noticed in moving from the Bay Area to the east is acclimation. Because there aren't extremes in temperature changes between day and night, you gradually adjust to the cold and it just doesn't seem that cold unless it's windy. It the summer, I love not needing a sweater or jacket at night. The insects were awful last summer though.

In The Bay Area, the temperature can swing a lot in the summer because of the fog. I remember a cousin's wedding in Palo Alto where it was 90 degrees and the reception was in a restaurant on the hills between 280 and the ocean where it was foggy and 55 degrees. The guys in the suits were fine but I froze in my summer dress!

I'm looking forward to our first snow of the season this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We are ready for anything.

Absolutely hysterical - and TRUE where I live in the southeast. :LOL: :D

Having been raised in New England, spending 10 years in Chicago, and several years in Maine, it took me a while to adjust to what is considered "winter" here. Now, after decades here, I could never go back. If I never shovel snow again it's fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom