This weather is awful!! 2008-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
After thunderboomers and a light show Saturday night, and torrential rain Saturday night and Sunday, it is cooler, clear and sunny. But Saturday night there was a twister about a mile up the road from me, towards the lake. They still aren't sure if it was a tornado or a water spout or nonexistent, although some witnesses said it was on land, a tornado. Here's a photo: http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=16386&nextimage=9

Very dangerous storms headed our way. Hang on TX forum members...it could get ugly....

Hope you are all OK. :(

We had a tornado warning for the state yesterday. A very rare occurrence here, but if conditions are just right...:hide:
Most of the mess yesterday passed to the SE of me. No news of reported tornadoes.
The good thing about where I am is it is mostly open country, i.e. you have a city, open land, a town, a town, a city...pretty sparse population density. Most of the state's population lives in the NYC metro area.

Read anarticle the other day that said this was going to be a cooler than normal summer for a lot of the U.S., and to expect a greater than usual amount of lightning.

We've had the coldest start to June in 64 years so I guess they were right. I wouldn't mind taking 10-20 degrees from those in Texas. I'm still turning the heat on at night in the second week of June. :(

Rain, rain. Yuck. I did get a 60-mile bike ride in yesterday morning but it's going to be raining all day today.

Note to bbbami: BIL sent an E-mail in which he told of being asked by a woman from Texas what the machine was in the back of his pickup, since she had never seen one. It was a snow thrower he was taking to his brother's in PA.

This hits on what has become an old family joke, since I'd said for years that my original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the pickup and drive south until people started asking what it was.

So my question is this: Is it true that people in Texas have no use for snow throwers?

So my question is this: Is it true that people in Texas have no use for snow throwers?

I don't know about Texas (though it is a huge state with all sorts of weather, depending on where you are).

Frank just explained to me last week that snow throwers look sort of like lawnmowers and not like leaf blowers. Who knew? :blush: Never saw one as they are useless here in Louisiana.

Yep. The only exception may be in the northernmost regions of the Panhandle in the Amarillo area but the snowiest month of the year (Jan) averages less than 4 inches.

Frank just explained to me last week that snow throwers look sort of like lawnmowers and not like leaf blowers. Who knew? :blush: Never saw one as they are useless here in Louisiana.

I grew up in Southern California, and never saw it snow. But I knew what snowflakes looked like, since every year in my elementary school at [-]Christmas[/-] holiday time we would cut out paper ones and put them up in the windows of the classroom. I was very disappointed to finally see the real ones that were not 6" in diameter.

You'll learn quick what they look like in a year and a half during your first winter in Missouri.:D

I don't know about Texas (though it is a huge state with all sorts of weather, depending on where you are).

Too lazy to go take a pic of mine. :LOL:
We own one of these type.
Ariens® >> Snow Products

You'll learn quick what they look like in a year and a half during your first winter in Missouri.:D

That's true! The reason that we were talking about them, is that I was telling him I wasn't even planning to buy one since I didn't think I was strong enough to operate one (so I would hire somebody to do it for me). He was saying that in a pinch, in an economic Armageddon scenario, I could probably do it myself. I told him I probably couldn't even LIFT one to waist height (thinking of leaf blowers) and it would just kill my back, and he laughed and told me that you don't have to lift it... :LOL:

Too lazy to go take a pic of mine. :LOL:
We own one of these type.
Ariens® >> Snow Products

Ah!!! Thanks. Yes, they do sort of look like lawnmowers. OK.

I just sold my lawnmower this week to the guy who mows my lawns. One less thing to move north, and if necessary I can buy another up there. Hopefully I will never have to mow lawns or throw snow up there if I can find someone reliable to hire that will do these tasks for me.

Last edited:
Close all the schools.
The good thing about closing the schools in the summer down here is that we'd otherwise have to endure massive tax hikes to pay for the school A/C bills, as witnessed by the local seven-day forecast:

weather-yuck.jpg

Looks like a nice weekend to hibernate.

Softball size hail NE of here day before yesterday - those suckers give your insurance man the willies.

heh heh heh - :D

The good thing about closing the schools in the summer down here is that we'd otherwise have to endure massive tax hikes to pay for the school A/C bills, as witnessed by the local seven-day forecast:

weather-yuck.jpg

Looks like a nice weekend to hibernate.

Maybe we should trade homes. I'd take that 7-day forcast over any 7-day forcast here between november and march.

Hope you are all OK. :(
We are fine, thanks. :)

This is only the second time I've really gotten fuzzed up by the weather and prepared a closet for safety. We're used to thunderstorms and high winds, but this time there were seven tornadoes spotted in the area. There was one in the city next to us. The power was out for six hours. I haven't seen the news about damage to the area, but our neighborhood looks ok.

Read an article the other day that said this was going to be a cooler than normal summer for a lot of the U.S., and to expect a greater than usual amount of lightning.
I can certainly believe that, we had more than our share.
Note to bbbami: BIL sent an E-mail in which he told of being asked by a woman from Texas what the machine was in the back of his pickup, since she had never seen one. It was a snow thrower he was taking to his brother's in PA.

This hits on what has become an old family joke, since I'd said for years that my original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the pickup and drive south until people started asking what it was.

Yeah..like Wahoo said, maybe the folks in the Panhandle. In my area we get an ice storm every once in a while that lasts about two days. It seems like everything shuts down with ice or a couple of inches of snow.

We are fine, thanks. :)

This is only the second time I've really gotten fuzzed up by the weather and prepared a closet for safety. We're used to thunderstorms and high winds, but this time there were seven tornadoes spotted in the area. There was one in the city next to us. The power was out for six hours. I haven't seen the news about damage to the area, but our neighborhood looks ok.
It's difficult for me to grasp the severity of "normal" weather of Tornado Alley. The only time I had a taste of extreme wind and severe lightning strikes was that Adirondack camping trip where the microburst did a massive blowdown of trees.
I'm watching your weather radar at NOAA right now. :blink:

Yep, it came down this way and rained another inch about noon. That was a humdinger yesterday too. Got to get out now and clean up all the tree branches laying in the yard. Some roof damage in the area.
I just saw this post today Poundkey. I thought about you during the storm. You are right...it was a humdinger...

Now, I think we're going to be baking until we're well done...:p

When my Megacorp merged with another even more obnoxious Megacorp, I started having to fly down to DFW fairly regularly. I had never been before. It was interesting to see all the Tornado Shelter signs in the buildings down there. Having lived many years in the DC area I was much more used to these:

Attachments

• fallout_shelter_sign.jpg
    fallout_shelter_sign.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom