Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2015, 03:24 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have the same questions about the CE degree and jobs. My son is a jr and I can sway him but it has to be soon. Basic classes are done and he is 90% sure civil-hydrology, but geo, structural and environmental are still options. He has a week to dump CE and go ME so I appreciate all the posts. If there are any Civil Engineers that would not do it again especially CE with water resources please share. He is at UCLA and will be looking for jobs in Southern CA if that makes a difference. Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post
I have the same questions about the CE degree and jobs. My son is a jr and I can sway him but it has to be soon. Basic classes are done and he is 90% sure civil-hydrology, but geo, structural and environmental are still options. He has a week to dump CE and go ME so I appreciate all the posts. If there are any Civil Engineers that would not do it again especially CE with water resources please share. He is at UCLA and will be looking for jobs in Southern CA if that makes a difference. Thanks
Those are all very good career options. Civil is the more "generic" branch of engineering so he'll likely have more choices for jobs there.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:38 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

My career was in the civil/building and ultimately Real Estate Investment world. Everything that has been posted so far I agree with, but would add that he could complete his CE degree and then try out the field for a couple years. He will get good exposure to the industry and if he finds he is not enjoying the engineering aspect or not enjoying the heavy office time he could circle back to college and get a Master's in Construction Management (1 year) that would be a good transition into the Building Construction field. He could also get an MBA if he wants to transition into the RE Investment field. Now, it's not mandatory he get a master's but if he wants to make the transition he will need to find a company willing to take the time to train him in management and/or finance. The CE degree will give him the tools to do it whether he makes the transition via a Master's or on the job training.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:03 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

My son and I discussed it and he is going CE H2o and kick the can down the road for a specific career. Got a good message about LA water and power hiring that helped make the decision easier and Balance's options if wants switch it up.
Thank you to all who posted and send private message, I appreciate it.