Time to come clean...

Well…I for one….fell for it hook, line and sinker!

He's been setting us up for a lonnng time, talkin' that trash about going back to work.

You gotta do a prank right!

:D

Last edited:
I believed, even after the third poster said April Fool. I was thinking why would mid-pack make all that up. Sorry, but why couldn't he/she change their mind. We even had vendors sending April Fools emails to us about fake products, they have never done that before.

Rule 1 of the Internet: never, ever, *ever* believe anything posted on April 1. I've been dealing with this since my old days on Usenet in the late 1980s.

I was thinking, "Why is this post in 'Other topics'? It should be in 'Stock Picking' or 'FIRE and Money'." But 'Other topics' are where all the jokes are.

I admit this post really caught me. Didn't figure it out until MikeWillRetire mentioned April Fool's Day. Then I laughed out loud and DW asked me what was going on.

Here is how I read it, with red being my thought pattern:
Though I've continued to promote the Bogle/Bernstein investment philosophy as long as I've been a member here, including refraining from market timing, I fell off the wagon some time ago. Wow, he's getting closer to my way of thinking. Last year I sold off a large portion of our equity funds and resumed trading individual stocks (as when I was younger). A bit over the top though in doing individual stocks. Fortunately my timing was good and we increased our net worth considerably last year. I am jealous even though we did well last year. I'll bet he is going to tell us his portfolio was up 30%, ugh. However, with the market near all time highs, we sold almost everything in Jan, and now hold less than 10% equity. And with bonds certain to take a nose dive, we sold them all as well. So we're mostly in cash and cash equivalents, keeping our powder dry waiting for the best time to get back in. Oh boy, either he misses gains or I'm completely wrong.

And while I've defended retirement AND work both as valid options, I went back to work with my former Megacorp in Jan as well. Well Midpack sure is changing his game. He'll probably earn a ton of money. I'm starting to feel threatened, but I'm not going to say anything. Live and let live. So my retirement lasted about 2-1/2 years, but I got bored and went back to work. It'll be nice to have two incomes again, and I am enjoying the challenges of work once again.

I apologize for misrepresenting myself here for the past year or so...I feel better having finally come clean. I don't think it was misrepresentation. Everyone is allowed to change. I'll miss him.

Welcome back Midpack! :LOL:

I'm another that was buying it until you said you went back to work.

I was pretty busy today, didn't log on until about 2pm, otherwise I would have fallen for it :nonono:

... we sold almost everything in Jan, and now hold less than 10% equity. And with bonds certain to take a nose dive, we sold them all as well. So we're mostly in cash and cash equivalents, keeping our powder dry waiting for the best time to get back in.

Wow, that was pretty radical. I'm really curious about what equities you held onto: so what does your "less then 10% equity" include?

So, when April 2 rolls around, will you then reveal what your "less than 10% equity" includes? I'm guessing you held on to your pssst Wellesley.

Fooled me.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to be on the computer April 1. I guess I'm a sourpuss, I don't like these curve balls.

I know it's done in fun, sorry if I can't take a joke.

I thought about posting one of these but assumed the board would be flooding with them. Then I don't see the only one that goes up until the 2nd and almost fell for it -- almost! Good one Midpack.

IP still solidly on place (AA below, and it was intact in post #1) and still retired. Apologies to those who don't find April 1st ruses humorous.

Last edited:
IP still solidly on place (AA below, and it was intact in post #1) and still retired. Apologies to those who don't find April 1st ruses humorous.

That's a relief.

Can we do this again next April 1? I'll try to be ready for it next time.

That's a relief.

Can we do this again next April 1? I'll try to be ready for it next time.
Your turn next time. I thought there would be quite a few like it with all the characters we have here.

Your turn next time. I thought there would be quite a few like it with all the characters we have here.

Put me in the camp of "I thought it was clever and humorous." And, I'm pretty sure even if I try, I won't be prepared for it next year. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to do this again in October as kind of a refresher for the real deal of next April 1.

Back
Top Bottom