Told my Supervisor

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I told my supervisor that I am going to ER in two years. I had been wondering how I would do that, and when.

Actually, what happened is that I told my good friend and closest co-worker that I was planning to ER in that timeframe. We work together a lot and it came up from time to time. Today, she was selected for the job as my supervisor (which I did not apply for, since it would not have involved a promotion for me and since I plan to ER instead).

Guess that solves THAT problem. About 60 days prior, when I have determined an exact date, I'll give her notice but at least I know now that it won't blindside her.

Guess that solves THAT problem. About 60 days prior, when I have determined an exact date, I'll give her notice but at least I know now that it won't blindside her.
Here's hoping that her promotion and your plans don't spoil a good friendship. You'll have to keep us posted...

Here's hoping that her promotion and your plans don't spoil a good friendship. You'll have to keep us posted...

Thanks. I hope so, too! It seems like everytime they send new supervisors off for supervisor training, they come back kind of hostile. The two of us were joking about that a few days ago (before she was selected). I think it's just that they aren't supposed to be too friendly or it might look like favoritism. I have no problem with that.

Congrats! I do wonder as to why the two years notice? I assume you work on very long term projects. I only hope that so much notice doesn't hurt you over the next two years.

Enough negativity. WOOHOO! :D:D:D

First of all, congratulations and best wishes.

I also wondered why you chose such a long interval of 2 years. Lots can happen in that time.

Does doing this make you feel like the process is underway and therefore won't feel so distant to you? Or were there job-specific reasons why a 2-year notice was best? Just curious.

At any rate, way to go on making the commitment. I hope your two years fly by and that your actual retirement plans fall into place nicely.

Congrats! I do wonder as to why the two years notice? I assume you work on very long term projects. I only hope that so much notice doesn't hurt you over the next two years.

Enough negativity. WOOHOO! :D:D:D

Officially we only have to give 30 (or is it 60?) days notice, I think. But you're right - - we do work on some very complex projects that last for years, and I'd hate to just bail with 30 days' notice.

There's no way that so much unofficial notice will hurt me over the next two years, that I can think of, anyway. I just got promoted a year ago, to the highest level of any scientists around here other than those involved more in politics than science (and I don't want that). So, I would neither want nor expect a promotion during the next two years.

It could work to my benefit in that she might put me on "retirement track", so to speak, and give me less to do and start assigning new long-term projects to other people. That could lower the stress level considerably since I have been swamped with hurricane related work ever since Katrina/Rita, in addition to my other work.

Or, she could give me the really cruddy assignments. I don't see that happening, though I might be too optimistic about that.

First of all, congratulations and best wishes.

I also wondered why you chose such a long interval of 2 years. Lots can happen in that time.

Thank you! I didn't choose that or any other interval, or even choose to tell my supervisor what my general timeframe was - - but I feel better that she knows (see last post). Still, I would never have gone into her office and said, "Guess what? I'm retiring in two years or so, barring the unforeseen." :2funny:

Actually, it's 23 months, though I rounded that off to two years. I haven't told her anything that specific, of course, and won't until I give notice officially.

It seems like everytime they send new supervisors off for supervisor training, they come back kind of hostile.

during my too many years at mcfortune 5, i saw that happen three times. one of them changed so much that i don't believe even her children recognize her. seriously, even the look about her changed. i'd never seen transformation like that before. she also developed lots of medical issues. surprise!

i told my boss 6 months before quitting, which is about the total amount of time i took to consider early retirement. i told him on purpose, to take the edge off his authority and it worked.

years earlier, when we heard he was coming aboard (he was my fourth boss during my career there) i was the only person i knew who was not displeased with the announcement as all my dealings with him prior to his being my boss were pleasant and polite. i couldn't understand all the rumors about this guy. as soon as he became my boss, he turned into the s.o.b. from beyond hell. it was as if he was never the guy i knew. seriously one of the nastiest, rudest people i'd ever met.

but when he heard i was considering leaving, like a mirage, he suddenly became polite and nice to me again. the change in his attitude did not make me want to stay; it pushed me out that much faster just to get that phoney out of my life. thinking about him now makes my skin crawl.

anyway, i believe nords was spot on in his warning to you. good luck.

I told my supervisor that I am going to ER in two years. I had been wondering how I would do that, and when.

I did a similar thing. I was a working partner in my company and I wanted the CEO to know so he could plan for it. We kept it just between us for the first several months and informed the rest of the board about 6 months prior to my retirement. By then, he had already put out some feelers and had a couple of people to choose from. My replacement worked with me for about 3 months before I retired.

Everything worked out well. I am working with the guy a little right now just to help him through his first year end process. My boss treated me well so I don't mind at all.

I talked quite a bit ahead of time about going part time at my job and possible early retirement as I needed to work at my partners for quite a while to get them to see there is value in part time work.

The downside was that I ended up losing the best secretary I ever had. She went to go work for a client, she was worried that I was a short timer and that she might have to take on someone else's work if I went part time. Reasonable decision on her part, but I sure missed her. Still miss her.

I understand why the 2 years. At this MegaCorp, they tend to plan personnel assignments out for 5 years. I told my supervisor this so she would not expect me to put in long hours to get promoted. She did ask for an old copy of the investment newsletter I use.\

Good luck with the friend as boss. I think that you did the right thing.

Thank you! I didn't choose that or any other interval, or even choose to tell my supervisor what my general timeframe was - - but I feel better that she knows (see last post).

Oh, I get it - on re-reading. You told your good friend, then she became your supervisor, so now your new supervisor knows. Now it makes sense.

Anyhow, enjoy the ride.

I actually have the opposite....my supervisor has said he will leave in the next year or 2...my guess to take the edge off of my calling out his b.s.;) or simply fishing to find out when I was leaving...I hope it turns out ok since I dont think I want my management to know my plans...

I've basically done the same as W2r. The story is too long and I've told parts of it before probably, but basically it was so that I could continue working on a project I know well and somewhat enjoy and can do while telecommuting, rather than pick up a new project and face much higher stress and deadlines. I had been doing some of both (like a few others on my team), and hated it.

I was actually on the verge of leaving (probably able to FIRE but not totally comfortable yet), but my manager and I worked through it. As part of the informal agreement to stay 100% on the old work I promised to keep them posted on my retirement plans so that they could line up a backup.

Some circumstances have changed, including a new manager I used to work with, so I said at the start of the new year I'd give him either a rough date to retire (within a month or so) or agree to stay on part-time indefinitely. I'm leaning heavily towards just leaving this summer but I'm going to think about it more over the 2 weeks I'm taking over the holidays.

It's worked out very well for me, but my current and last manager have been very trustworthy and also understand that I'm not an easily replaceable part.

Also my former co-worker, now my new manager, managed to change very little wrt to our relationship. It's helped a lot that he already knew my situation and stayed true to the agreement I had with my former manager.

While I was with mega-pharma a rep was discussing how he was going to retire early - in less than three years. He would bring it pretty often at dinners etc. where management was w/in earshot. The company had a mandatory 10% cutback across all divisions......and yup - he was let go despite being one of the better reps. He prob. got a decent package but, I heard he was looking for work after the lay off.
A short timer will be first on the chopping block if the company runs into probs and needs to cutback personnel. This could really hurt your jump date......

But congrats and obviously you know your work place and know what you are doing! 2 years goes way fast....

Perhaps when management promoted your friend, and made her your "boss", they were doing you a favor? That is, you've got a friend as boss, maybe less likely to dump extra share of projects on you, less likely to put you on the chopping block in case of any layoffs, less likely to make your job extra stressful?

Perhaps when management promoted your friend, and made her your "boss", they were doing you a favor? That is, you've got a friend as boss, maybe less likely to dump extra share of projects on you, less likely to put you on the chopping block in case of any layoffs, less likely to make your job extra stressful?

I am hoping it will improve things for me, though I may have to take on a few of her present responsibilities. Maybe I can persuade her to cut back a little on all my work related travel. That would be nice. I am not too worried about being unexpectedly turned out to the street within the next 23 months, since I am a federal employee and close to ER. It could happen, but in my opinion it is not very probable.

...It seems like everytime they send new supervisors off for supervisor training, they come back kind of hostile. ...

New supervisor training class in my former megacorp was called "supervisor charm school."

We call it 'charm school' when researchers are sent to the WO (Washington Office) to learn how to become administrators.

W2r, it's 60 days in my agency. I'm working on my papers today and hope to get them in the mail this afternoon :).

We call it 'charm school' when researchers are sent to the WO (Washington Office) to learn how to become administrators.

W2r, it's 60 days in my agency. I'm working on my papers today and hope to get them in the mail this afternoon :).

You lucky dog! You're right - - I think OPM dictates 60 days. At any rate, I plan to give 60 days' notice so I already have it on my calendar to give notice in September, 2009. :D

Back
Top Bottom