Tom Petty Dies at age 66

It seems that CBS, without confirmation, ran with the initial report from the LAPD.

I'm no journalist, but I can't imagine anyone sitting on a story this big, waiting for a secondary source to confirm what's already been released to the public in an official police report.

Either way, a very sad day indeed.

I'm no journalist, but I can't imagine anyone sitting on a story this big, waiting for a secondary source to confirm what's already been released to the public in an official police report.

Either way, a very sad day indeed.

My thought is maybe he is kept on life support until family arrives. Just me thinking aloud. Sad no matter what.

No more speculating for me as I don't wish to be insensative.

Last edited:
Great solo by lead guitarist Mike Campbell. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were among a select group of Rock and Roll acts whose live performances matched or exceeded their excellent work in the studio.

https://youtu.be/Qv4-m-cIZf4

Loved Petty. Just saw him in Milwaukee and yes he put on a great show that was almost 3 hours long. Put his heart into the music, unlike some acts who seem to "phone it in"

Long time casual fan. Underrated, in my opinion, given his body of work.

"Letting You Go" and "The Waiting" are my two favorite Petty songs. Both from his "Hard Promises" album.

I sometimes have this one on my mp3 playlist for marathons.

Netflix has...

An excellent documentary on him. I think it runs almost 4 hours long. I had forgotten just how many great songs he had done over the years.

An excellent documentary on him. I think it runs almost 4 hours long. I had forgotten just how many great songs he had done over the years.

i just watched it. Netflix: Running down a Dream

fantastic. It's funny & self deprecating. My style of humor. Track after track of goodness. Wow.

He's talking about a period where the band comes off the road and they aren't doing well in an unstructured environment. Drugs start being around. Hey can't be a rock and roller w/o drugs

TP: Drugs are not really good for you. You just become useless

pregnant pause

TP: Ya got any drugs?

LOLOL

Yeah...he will be missed. Hard to beat Damn the torpedoes album, although Jammin, Me is my favorite all time Petty tune.

Long time casual fan. Underrated, in my opinion, given his body of work.

Back in the early 80's, Petty ended up in a public feud with MCA records. MCA wanted to price Petty's new album, "Hard Promises" at what the label deemed "superstar pricing" - $9.98 one dollar over the list price. Petty objected to the price increase further threatening to title the album, Eight ninety eight.

Petty won the day, MCA priced "Hard Promises" at $8.98 and his popularity with fans grew even more!

It seems that my heroes are dying off rapidly. TP was amazing and will be missed. RIP indeed.

It seems that my heroes are dying off rapidly. TP was amazing and will be missed. RIP indeed.

Whoa, whoa...back up here....what happened to YMMV? ;)

Darn.
Never got to see him live. Tried to get to Mountain Jam where he headlined this year, but couldn't talk anyone into it. Gotta stop procrastinating.

Darn.
Never got to see him live. Tried to get to Mountain Jam where he headlined this year, but couldn't talk anyone into it. Gotta stop procrastinating.

In May 2014 my granddaughter gave me a gift by being born 4 days early, allowing me to see Barry Gibb in concert. He's no youngster himself, and as far as I know in good health. But I didn't want to regret missing him in concert. Saw Paul McCartney last month for similar reasons.

In the 1990s I went skydiving once. It was totally thrilling and I can hardly believe I did it, but I have proof: the company made a great video that showed the whole thing: before (when I was trying to act cool and calm), during (jumping out of that itty-bitty plane with a big scream, then floating on air), and after (I gotta say I nailed the landing!). All the background music on the video was Tom Petty, and it is perfection -- "I Won't Back Down," "Free Fallin,'" "Learning to Fly." I really wasn't familiar with his music at the time, but fell in love with it then - the soundtrack for something wonderful. Those songs are on my favorite playlist, and whenever I hear them I still get goose bumps.

see Barry Gibb

I watched the Bee Gees, as kids, their first appearance on Melbourne, Aust, TV, wearing suits they were rapidly growing out of......thought "Naah, they'll never make it".

(I also buy stocks that go down as soon as the order goes through, and the ones I sell go up.) :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom