Join Early Retirement Today

Took the Kindle Plunge ($50 off Fire HD 8.9 today)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took the Kindle Plunge ($50 off Fire HD 8.9 today)

Amazon pushed me over the edge with $50 off today on the larger Fire HD ($249 for the 16GB without 4G but you can also get $50 off with 4G and/or with 32GB). I wonder if they will have the smaller one on sale another day before Christmas? I thought about the easier to hold size of the 7", but ultimately decided that I would like a larger screen for browsing and movies, not to mention being able to use larger type on books.

This is a day after upgrading my Samsung Droid phone after it got run over on Saturday (long story). I got the Samsung Rugby Pro, not because I expect it to survive being run over, but because it may hold up better when I carry it while running. Luckily I had my Galaxy S for just over 2 years so the upgrade price wasn't bad - $99 +$35 upgrade fee. I dreaded getting this phone back to where the other one was but Google synced my Contacts and Calendar, and the Google Play store showed me which apps I had on that phone. I had a few docs on there but nothing that's not also on my laptop.

I guess I just hijacked my own thread in post 1. Just thinking about how I've contributed to the economy in the last 30 hours.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

New phone yesterday, new Kindle today--what are you buying tomorrow to help the economy?

They sound great!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I love my Kindle Fire . It was the best $199 I ever spent . When I travel that is the only gadget I take .
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
New phone yesterday, new Kindle today--what are you buying tomorrow to help the economy?

They sound great!
The accessories and apps!
That is what I am doing lately since I bought DW the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.
I bought it the week of Thanskgiving from Best Buy because I have BB gift cards that can pay part of it. Then today, I saw that $50 off deal at Amazon. Ugh!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

OK Kindle Fire HD owners, my Fire HD 8.9 inch just arrived today and I can't figure out how to enlarge the font size on newspaper articles. There is no "Aa" button or "magnifying glass." (The "magnifying glass" icon turned out to be a Search button!) How the heck do I make the fonts larger?

Thanks,
Amethyst
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't you just put you thumb & index finger on the screen, then spread them apart? That's how my non HD Kindle works to enlarge (the whole screen).

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I already have the whole screen engaged. Pulling the item "apart" does no good except for images. Doesn't enlarge font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Can't you just put you thumb & index finger on the screen, then spread them apart? That's how my non HD Kindle works to enlarge (the whole screen).
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I already have the whole screen engaged. Pulling the item "apart" does no good except for images. Doesn't enlarge font.
i watched a youtube video on the 8.9 today the guys were pressing things for font sizes

i looked it up. access settings. font size is one of them
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you touch the script a screen should pop up on the bottom that enlarges the fonts .
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't just love their Kindle. Enjoy it!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Tip for battery life: If it seems to be draining fast, do a hard shutdown, meaning you hold the power switch in for about 20 seconds. I had also been told to drain it down under 10% and then give it a full recharge, but even while draining it down I found that after the hard shutdown it got a lot better at battery usage. For example, a 2 hour movie was pretty much draining the battery before, and now it might use 20% (rough numbers).
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am ready to throw the &%#! at the wall.

There is no control for font size (except on sites where the "pinch" method works but that's not always the case).

I can't find a control for volume on videos.

I can't bookmark anything in such a way that someone else can find it later.

So now you have heard of one person. These are such simple functions, should be easy to find, but I have been all over the device, tapped and pinched everything, and no dice.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have yet to hear of anyone who didn't just love their Kindle. Enjoy it!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I am ready to throw the &%#! at the wall.

There is no control for font size (except on sites where the "pinch" method works but that's not always the case).

I can't find a control for volume on videos.

I can't bookmark anything in such a way that someone else can find it later.

So now you have heard of one person. These are such simple functions, should be easy to find, but I have been all over the device, tapped and pinched everything, and no dice.

Amethyst
There is a control for font sizes.It is on the bottom or you can hit the page & it will show up . The volume is on the top .You tap the top & it shows up . It can be finicky .I never bookmark so I can not help you with that . The Kindle Fire takes a little playing with to get used to but after that you will hopefully love it .