Trash Removal

Looks like W2R keeps her container outside. We’ve always kept ours in the garage. Curious where others keep their containers.

That was at my old house, that had no garage and a very narrow driveway that was quite sheltered from the wind. At my Dream Home, the driveway is wider and the wind whistles down it, and I have a garage so I keep it there.

Two 90-gal containers where we live, emptied every week. Has been this way more than 20 years, I cannot remember. It used to be only 1 container, and the recycled container was added later.

We keep our cans down the side of the house, close to the kitchen door.

Big plastic rolling cans like the OP - one for trash, one for single stream recycling. Curbside trash pickup once a week. Recycling every other week. Trash disposal is a city service, one of several that our property taxes pay for.

We compost all vegetable matter.

Our camp composts most of the scraps from table and food prep.

NJ township has had recycling and large rollers for a long time, maybe ten years. Our regular trash output declines every year. Recycled material increases slowly.

The large recycling bin sits outside the garage, and we put it out every 2-3 weeks.

The regular trash bin sits about 20 yards away, on the property line. It is never full, and goes to the curb every 3-4 weeks.

One ninety gallon container. They are reinforced with flat steel strips around the edge and have clips to keep the bears out of them. The first year I decided it was too late for the bears to be still out and only hooked a clip on one side, hahaha. That bear had trash thrown all over. Would have been better to throw it in a pile. Occasionally people will have too much to fit and they'll put it out unprotected, they only do that once.

we live in a townhome development, prior it was put out on side of road three times a week and recycle once a week. Some had cans others like me just a bag that I'd keep in shed on deck. Community got tired of the d@mn crows ripping trash up and then it’s a mess, some households were good about picking strewn about trash others not so much!!! So we have gone to a dumpster outside within the marina complex, So it's just a walk of about 100 yards to dumpster. At first it was oh well no more recycle, but I now save recycle and take to dump 1 time/week. In a way, much better for me, keeping crab trash after picking crabs in shed for a day or two was OMG that stinks. I believe our costs for HOA went down....

We have a private garbage pickup for trash. At $20/month it is not a bad price for our area, and they have been very reliable. Our county provides recyclables service, via our taxes, for non-yard waste.

Both provide a can for us to use. The private service can is large are we have never filled it. Both pickup on the same day in our neighborhood, so it is just roll them down to the curb the night before; normally both are picked up no later than 8AM the next morning.

We take our yard waste to the landfill ourselves, but that is no charge, and very periodic, so not a big inconvenience.

We have weekly private garbage pickup for $54 every 3 months. They switched to the large containers and automated trucks several years ago. We also have a waste to energy plant in town and part of the agreement gives residents free household garbage disposal if you want to drop it off at the facility.

Recycling is contracted through the town and just went to every other week but they stayed with the small recycling bins, not very practical. So we bought a larger container ourselves and it's working well. I imagine at some point they will switch to the larger cans and pick them up with the automated trucks.

We have 3 garbage companies in our area. They each have their own day of the week for garbage pickup. And the containers for each company are a little different.

It seems very inefficient to have different companies operating in the same neighborhood or different days.

We have the large roller cans but the trucks do not have the robo arms and the 3 man crew (driver+ 2 runners) mostly dump manually. Often, they hoist the whole can to dump. We have trash+recycle on the same day and yard waste on another. It cuts down on the volume of truck traffic and cans in the street. We pay $30/mo that includes heavy pickup (furniture and appliances) a couple times per year that is scheduled in advance.

The refuse industry was one of Megacorps big accounts so I got to know the business....It stinks, but they say it smells like money!

Included in my Village taxes.
Our own trash can and county supplied blue buns for recycling, both once a week.

Big plastic rolling cans like the OP - one for trash, one for single stream recycling. Curbside trash pickup once a week. Recycling every other week. Trash disposal is a city service, one of several that our property taxes pay for.
Same here, but it's billed separately on our taxes: $63/yr.

Looks like W2R keeps her container outside. We’ve always kept ours in the garage. Curious where others keep their containers.
Garage space is too valuable to put the hurby curbies in there. I think our neighborhood has a rule about taking them in from the street, but I'm not sure if there's any rule about being visible from the street...ours are not, most are not.

Originally, the trash was outside the back door, but ants liked it, and would then wander in the kitchen, so it's now about 75 feet away near the lot line. The recycling is outside the back door. We have a few of the old red recycling bins in the garage, so we can drop stuff into it by just opening the door from the kitchen.

We were supposed to get those types of trucks years ago, for both trash and recycle. Got the bins, never got the trucks. There was some kind of corruption and political crap involved, and the county executive of that era, Jack Johnson, is now in jail. He was (in)famous enough to have his own Wikipedia entry.

I recently moved to a new county, but they have the same types of trash/recycle here, too. However, it's just the regular trucks that come by, with two guys hanging on the back, and they get both sides of the street done at once.

Back in the old county, one thing they did to cut costs was to have trash service reduced to one day per week. It had been twice: Tuesdays and Fridays. It was cut to Friday, but then a bit later they moved it to Wednesday, which is the same day the recycle truck comes through.

At the new county, it's one day per week, on Friday, for both trash and recycle. As for containers, I've always kept them outside, at both houses. Right outside the side door at the old house, and right outside the back door at the new place.

Are some of you that contract directly saying that multiple companies service the same neighborhood ? How does that work for coordinating pickup days? The county here issues the contract to private refuse companies which are responsible for a large area.

Yeah, we have at least 3 or 4 companies that serve our block. It doesn't matter if there are multiple companies picking up on the same day, I don't think they coordinate; also, we buy our own bins because they're cheaper, so our bins don't have logos on them. This all leads me to guess that the drivers and haulers are just supposed to know what houses on the route are their customers. I did have to call a couple of times over the years when they missed a pickup, but that's less than 1 out of 1000 days, I'm fine with that.

Oh, and we leave the cans outside unless there's a high wind or hurricane advisory. I have them next to the garage, so they're a little sheltered from the wind, but I also hooked a bungee cord to the bracket holding the rain spout onto the corner of the garage, and I can weave it through the handle of one can and hook it to the next, which keeps them from tipping over or being blown into our neighbor's yard unexpectedly. (If I know it's going to be really windy, I just put them and any other loose items in the garage, but the bungee cord is quicker on a daily basis.)

Last edited:
We recently changed from trash pick up of our own barrels or bags, to automatic/automated pick-up of 90 gallon containers provided by the Waste Management pick up service.

every city/town isn't doing this already?

We have a trash chute in both of our buildings. You throw everything that is not glass down the chute. Glass is placed next to the chute and someone (Maintenance guy?) comes by and takes it. The city has collections 7 days a week and I think they have two pickups at night maybe? It must be included in our taxes, so it can't cost very much. They don't use pails, just huge plastic bags and you never see them unless you are out walking around after midnight.

Back
Top Bottom