Tux Transport

bld999

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have never carried a suit or other formal garment onboard a plane. What are various successful methods to do this and still look reasonably sharp on the other end?

I guess in the end i could set it in the bottom of checked luggage and ask for forgivness at the hotel laundry...

Here is a link from another forum that might help.

Is there such a thing as a carry-on garment bag?

I suggest calling the airline to see if you can bring a garment bag as carryon and if so, what dimensions. Failing that, I recommend packing the tux in your checked suitcase. My personal preference in packing business wear was to use a hard shell Samsonite) suitcase, which came with a rectangular removable frame with a clasp for a coat hanger (supplied). I hung the suit on the frame and folded it around the rectangle. This kept it flat. I always put a plastic dry cleaning bag over my suit and packed it in the middle of the suitcase. On arrival I would hang it immediately and in most cases it would hang perfectly by the next morning. If not, I ironed it, though steaming would be easier if you have access to a steamer.

Hope that helps. Mind you, I did once see someone bring a wedding dress aboard a flight (in a very long garment bag) which the flight attendant carefully hung in the coat rack in business class. A tux will be much easier!

Last edited:
I used to fly to Chicago every year for my wife's firm's annual dinner dance. I rolled my tux up in the plastic bag from the dry cleaner. Worked fine.

Use the plastic bag and then hang up once you get to your destination. I traveled about 4 million miles during my career with suits, tux's, dress shirts, etc and this always worked for me. Or you can just have it pressed once you get to your destination.

+1 to the advice so far. My years of travel were all suit and tie. When packing, try to fold minimizing wrinkles. I often brought along a clothes hanger, and once at my destination hotel would hang the suit and shirt in the bathroom with the shower hot water on. A short (environmentally unfriendly) steam bath helped. Many hotels also have irons available for loan.

Thanks for the seasoned guidance, everyone. With all that, I can get this done.

+1 to the advice so far.once at my destination hotel would hang the suit and shirt in the bathroom with the shower hot water on. A short (environmentally unfriendly) steam bath helped.

Yes. This does work quite well. I used to fill the bathroom with steam, hang up my clothes, close the door, and go to bed. Next morning the wrinkles were mostly gone.

Back
Top Bottom