Very cool Cat Sanctuary

Wow, thanks for posting that. Really amazing!

I had not seen this - thanks for posting!

Yikes, where I live the legal limit is four (4) four (4) legged animals. Seriously, I hope they have air-tight estate plans for those animals.

Yikes, where I live the legal limit is four (4) four (4) legged animals. Seriously, I hope they have air-tight estate plans for those animals.

If you live in an urban area where there are typically 20+ dwelling units per acre, then you have a legally permissible cat population density of 80+ cats per acre. The lady in the video has 6 acres and 500 cats, or roughly a cat population density of 80 cats per acre. So really not that uncivilized according to urban standards.

If you live in an urban area where there are typically 20+ dwelling units per acre, then you have a legally permissible cat population density of 80+ cats per acre. The lady in the video has 6 acres and 500 cats, or roughly a cat population density of 80 cats per acre. So really not that uncivilized according to urban standards.

They appear to have only one house, was it five bedrooms, clean, really does sound idyllic but I wonder what would happen if the unthinkable happens to them. Otherwise, I see it as a great video.

They appear to have only one house, was it five bedrooms, clean, really does sound idyllic but I wonder what would happen if the unthinkable happens to them. Otherwise, I see it as a great video.

I worry about this too when I see stories like this. If something happened to the lady in the video, what would become of the animals? I have 4 cats and don't plan to take in more for this very reason. DH and I are blessed with a wonderful family who would make sure they were taken care of, but I wouldn't want to burden my loved ones with a houseful of pets if we passed away or could no longer care for them.

I assume most or all of the animals would be euthanized. The same fate most would face if they were taken to most shelters or the pound. At least in the meantime they get to live the good life.

I assume most or all of the animals would be euthanized. The same fate most would face if they were taken to most shelters or the pound. At least in the meantime they get to live the good life.

Excellent point. One thing about animals is they live in the moment - they don't worry about tomorrow. All they know is they are happy and well cared for now.

Excellent point. One thing about animals is they live in the moment - they don't worry about tomorrow. All they know is they are happy and well cared for now.

Yep - we were faced with either taking our two cats (who we adopted from someone else who didn't want them) to the shelter where they almost certainly would have been put to sleep (to euphemize the expression) or letting them become outdoor cats. So far, one was either hit by a car or attacked by an owl or something (and died) and the other is still kicking. We thought the second one ran away, but she just came back last week fine as can be. It may be a poor fate for our cats, but it is better than near certain death...

So sad, Fuego, my local SPCA says that house cats left outside usually have a "short brutal life.":(

So sad, Fuego, my local SPCA says that house cats left outside usually have a "short brutal life.":(

The local shelters typically give them 3-7 days before they "enter the death chamber". Were I a cat, I would choose the so called "short brutal life" of an outdoor cat. They have been outside for a few years now. The first one just died. The second is going strong uninjured as far as I can tell. And we live on a fairly busy road, but the cats fear the cars. The remaining cat seems to be in very good shape. Her weight is actually back down into the "normal" range, too, after living at the "obese" stage for all her years as an indoor kitty. Old age is obviously hitting her now, as she can't jump as high and climb as fast. But she probably has another good 3-4 years as an outdoor kitty unless she has a run in with a car.

Bless her heart for taking care of those animals. All of my pets have been "throw aways" and I have loved them all. But I have to tell ya, with that many cats, all I could think about while watching that video was hairballs. :p

One thing I tought about when I watched the video was... I wonder what it smelled like in the yard..... :rolleyes:

CuppaJoe,

I only watched a small part of it (where tons of cats are roaming in the backyard), but I was thinking about the smell of urine. Cat urine smells very strong, and I don't think you can take that out easily.

CuppaJoe,

I only watched a small part of it (where tons of cats are roaming in the backyard), but I was thinking about the smell of urine. Cat urine smells very strong, and I don't think you can take that out easily.

If they are spayed and neutered the odor is not near as bad. Another reason to spay and neuter your pets!

tmm99, I agree, and I left a smilie off of my post. I once took in a stray that clearly communicated to me that she wanted to keep her exit options open so we left a door open into a storage area that allowed her to go under another room which led into a room with an open outside door. Anyway, she was able "to go" outside. A couple of years later I brought home a litter box and I've never seen a happier cat. So what do you think, are they all trained to a large off-screen box?:rolleyes: How many people does it take to change a litter box? and where did I leave that lite bulb smilie?

CuppaJoe,

Maybe the owner of the cat video has a cat litter condo some place. :) Or littler robots.

Purron,

I would hate to smell unfixed cats urine. All my cats I've had had been fixed and their pee smells bad enough. But they are still adorable...

Her website has more info.

Evidently she now has 12 acres and crew to help with the cleaning and feeding. Linoleum I guess is the key to a cleaner environment. She recently has moved out of the main houseand into a guest house on the property. I guess a good night sleeping with 50 cats in a room was bit of problem . :) I thought 3 was bad....

Remarkable lady. Good question about what happens to cats when she is gone.

I worry about this too when I see stories like this. If something happened to the lady in the video, what would become of the animals?
I'd be far more worried for someone unable to fend for herself in the vicinity of 500 hungry sharp-clawed carnivores...

I'd be far more worried for someone unable to fend for herself in the vicinity of 500 hungry sharp-clawed carnivores...

Now I have visions of a Steven King style horror scene in my mind. Remember "Pet Cemetery"? Pretty creepy movie but at least it had that cool theme song by the Ramones;)

Back
Top Bottom