Vista update

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
I usually follow the rule of "if it aint broke dont fix it" so i'm getting this window popping up on my PC informing me that i have an important update that needs downloading on my PC its called
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 which is a 65mb download that i'm wondering if i really need on a computer thats running just fine. Do i really need to install this download?.
Research on the update only gives me this
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is an update to Windows Vista that addresses feedback from our customers. In addition to previously released updates, SP1 contains changes focused on addressing specific reliability and performance issues, supporting new types of hardware, and adding support for several emerging standards. Windows Vista SP1 also addresses some management, deployment, and support challenges.

I don't have Vista, but I've used nothing but Windows since it was introduced (XP now). And I can't remember an update/download that wasn't an outright improvement. I would do it, you can restore backwards if you like but chances are nil you'll want to IMO.

I went ahead with the upgrade, and everything is working just fine. Afterwards, I looked and it said that whatever upgrades I had just installed addressed security issues along with the other stuff.

Yes you probably need to install it. If you do not future updates may or may not install. You can, but I think SP1 will do it anyway, create a "restore point" to go back to if you have problems. Be sure to have your original Vista Install Disk handy.

I have installed SP1 on 4 Vista Computers without a glitch of any kind. When you are done (and it could take a hour or so - go to "system" and you should see "Service Pack 1" near the top of the System Screen (to ensure it installed).

I don't have Vista, but I've used nothing but Windows since it was introduced (XP now). And I can't remember an update/download that wasn't an outright improvement. I would do it, you can restore backwards if you like but chances are nil you'll want to IMO.

No offense intended, but I disagree with this statement completely, although it may be a difference between corporate and private use. As a network and system admin I've had huge problems with MS updates, especially Service Packs. We [-]are [/-]were required to implement them for security purposes, but we had to test the heck out of them first after a couple of NT4 and XP updates took some of our systems out of service for hours. We had similar problems with some of the Solaris patches, so I'm not just picking on MS.

That being said, as a personal user now, I do install the updates and SPs. Eventually. I hold out a couple of weeks, reading the web for other, more adventurous people's experiences. I haven't seen anything really negative (or positive either, for that matter) with SP1 for Vista. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in regarding waiting. Especially if you aren't a tech loving geek who likes to recover and rebuild. ;)

Oh yeah, just wanted to mention, if you do the regular Windows updates, you probably have pretty much everything SP1 will be doing anyway. So that does decrease the possibility of catastrophe. :D Here's the bottom line of the review from Cnet - " While it's always good to install the latest code for any operating system, installing the Windows Vista SP1 update will require some casual users to spend a few hours without any visible or tangible improvements to their systems."

I've just spent an hour installing this service pack and then it failed:rolleyes:
window says something about an error code 4c7 :confused:

Sigh. I think your antivirus/firewall may be at fault...again.

Try disabling your antivirus and rerun the SP install.

This service pack includes all the fixes to vista, including a new operating system kernel and a bunch of other goodies that you'll want to have.

Prior to SP1 I was unimpressed with vista's stability vs XP. After SP1 I find no difference.

I dont know which AV product you're using or how it works, but you should see an icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen near the clock for it. Point at that, right click and pick 'disable' or equivalent.

Prior to SP1 I was unimpressed with vista's stability vs XP. After SP1 I find no difference.

Meaning after SP1 you are still unimpressed with Vista's stability, or you find no difference in Vista's stability vs XP's stability?

That was poorly worded. I meant vista is about the same as XP after SP1.

Before SP1 but with all the available windowsupdate patches, it was okay. From initial release up until about 3 months prior to SP1 it sucked. I almost canned it and went back to XP.

Back
Top Bottom