Eh, we've had hairy political threads for some time now.
Problem with them is, while interesting debate sometimes happens, the original topic is often blown up, everyone gets pissed, and nobody is likely to change anyone elses mind about their political leanings.
And I personally dont think starting a thread for the purpose of raising peoples ire over a political matter has a lot of benefit, even in the "other" category.
"Other" was originally created to keep off topic discussions, jokes and whatnot out of the main early retirement subgroups. Oh, and threads where we laughed hysterically about 'get rich quick' schemes also got merged in there.
But your health care topic, while also not the first one, seems reasonable to me as an "other" discussion.
Unfortunately you got a cross section of:
- People who want to fix our health care
- Pro and con michael moore people
- People who work for the 'existing system' and like it fine the way it is
- People living in countries with managed care who dont care much for the management
- People with a lot of money who like the system the way it is because they're getting theirs
- And other flotsam and jetsam that fell off the folks in the above categories along the way
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.