What happened the day/year you were born?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A fun site. You enter and date and year, then take a peek in the events of that time. Included price of gas, bread, too.

dMarie Time Capsule

Nothing interesting on my birthday, but on the birth year, 3 of the top 10 songs were Elvis Presley's: "Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog", "Love Me Tender", and "Heartbreak Hotel". I did not know these songs were that old.

This is interesting. Milk cost $0.90/gal, car cost $2100, and gas was $0.30/gal.

Milk did not go up in price as much as most other things. Did we get cows to be more productive or what?

Dwight D. Eisenhower was President the day I was born. That makes me feel old. :p

Nothing happening on my Bday way back when but Perry Como was singing up a storm.

Dwight D. Eisenhower was President the day I was born. That makes me feel old. :p

Don't feel TOO old, you youthfully young girl. I remember watching Dwight D. Eisenhower being inaugurated for his first term. Actually what I saw was a parade - - apparently it was the inauguration parade down Pennsylvania Avenue.The teacher in my pre-kindergarten class had it going on the TV softly while we painted with watercolors. My thoughts were that Eisenhower must be the most wonderful man in the world to have a parade just for him! :LOL:

Nothing very interesting happened on my birthday; Czechoslovakia went Communist. :sick:

Last edited:
Harry S. Truman was president when I was born and I do not feel old. :dance:
youngtrig

Nah! Old is when you share the same birthyear with Eisenhower. ;)

OK, OK, I was exaggerating.

Old is when you voted in his election year. Some people here did that.

Last edited:
A fun site. You enter and date and year, then take a peek in the events of that time. Included price of gas, bread, too.

dMarie Time Capsule

It is interesting that many things are roughly 10-12 times what they were the year that I was born except milk, eggs and the Dow.

I entered my birthday in 2011 and 2010 to try to get some comparative data, but there is none and George Bush is still president.

.The teacher in my pre-kindergarten class had it going on the TV softly while we painted with watercolors. My thoughts were that Eisenhower must be the most wonderful man in the world to have a parade just for him! :LOL:
Now THAT is a cute memory....made me smile. :)

Ok y'all, maybe I shouldn't feel so old. On a positive note, this song was at the top of the charts in 1957....

Not much of interest in my birth year, unless you count Pearl Harbor, or the USSR defeating German blitzkrieg in the Battle of Moscow.

I guess compared to Elvis, small beans. :)

Egyptian President Nassar pledges to reconquer Palestine.

Anyone know if he ever succeeded? *grin*

"Take the gun, leave the cannoli's" The Godfather was the hit movie when I was born!

The head of state on the day I was born was Queen Elizabeth II, and she still is.

In the year I was born, JFK was president. Best picture of the year was West Side Story.

BTW, a little trivia. The actor who plays Riff in West Side Story was an uncredited advisor to Elvis for Jailhouse Rock.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bread:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.18/loaf[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]r[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Milk:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.92/gal[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]ggs:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.79/doz[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Car:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $1,950[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Gas:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.29/gal[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Picture:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Marty[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Directed By Delbert Mann[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Actor:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Ernest Borgnine[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]in Marty[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Best Actress:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Anna Magnani[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]in The Rose Tattoo[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]House:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $17,600[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Stamp:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.03/ea[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Avg Income:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $4,962/yr[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Min Wage:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] $0.75/hr[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]DOW Avg:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1] 488

woo-hoo!

Also, a time bomb killed 44 on an airplane in Colorado.
Milk and eggs were relatively expensive.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
Milk did not go up in price as much as most other things. Did we get cows to be more productive or what?

Yes.

www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/animalwelfare/dairy.pdf

Milk yield per cow has more than doubled in the previous 40 years

Mostly due to selective breeding, and AI allows selected bulls to fertilize many more females than possible the fun way.

Although there are govt subsidies or price fixing or something that goofs around with the market value of milk, so it's hard to say really.

-ERD50

In my month and year of birth (April, 1963), what I found fascinating was that the NBA and NHL championships were determined by month's end. Now those finals don't end until the middle of June.

In my month and year of birth (April, 1963), what I found fascinating was that the NBA and NHL championships were determined by month's end. Now those finals don't end until the middle of June.

I think it's called extending the playoffs to get more revenue. I'm hearing with the new wildcard baseball playoff system, if mother nature doesn't cooperate, the world series may not end until December.

I think it's called extending the playoffs to get more revenue. I'm hearing with the new wildcard baseball playoff system, if mother nature doesn't cooperate, the world series may not end until December.

Not only that but the number of teams in each sport has expanded greatly so having only less than 8 teams make the playoffs in a ~30-team league would arguably be too few.

But making existing playoff series longer is purely a revenue grab by the players and owners which is at least part of what you were implying.

Back
Top Bottom