What is your most memorable food experience

On a commercial airline in 1980, believe it or not. I was in the last row on a 747 going from Chicago to LA. Food carts came out and then people grumbled. The meal came in a small box and I remember it as being essentially cheese and crackers. The stewardess took care of the row in front of me then left with the cart. Oh well, I thought, maybe no food is better than crap and went back to my book. Next thing I know the stewardess touches my arm to get my attention. She politely explained that they were out of coach meals and would I mind a first class meal? What made it memorable was three things: 1) Going from nothing to first class, 2) The looks the nearby passengers gave me, 3) The cheese cake was excellent.

On a commercial airline in 1980, believe it or not. I was in the last row on a 747 going from Chicago to LA. Food carts came out and then people grumbled. The meal came in a small box and I remember it as being essentially cheese and crackers. The stewardess took care of the row in front of me then left with the cart. Oh well, I thought, maybe no food is better than crap and went back to my book. Next thing I know the stewardess touches my arm to get my attention. She politely explained that they were out of coach meals and would I mind a first class meal? What made it memorable was three things: 1) Going from nothing to first class, 2) The looks the nearby passengers gave me, 3) The cheese cake was excellent.

That story reminded of a post I made awhile back. This was going from San Francisco to Okinawa to visit our daughter. Our "non smoking" seats were not available so we were upgraded to business class. Dang! I love it when that happens. What a great flight that was.

Just remembered how much I enjoyed fresh milk stateside after a little tin can cruise in WestPac.

Calmloki, and likewise, that reminded me of the way the taste and smell of percolator brewed coffee takes me instantly back to our brief liveaboard experience on the little sailboat down in the Abacos.

So many to choose from:

a) I was recovering from typhoid fever (in Mexico) and felt the need for real food. The server brought over a plate of giant prawns, stuffed with crab meat, wrapped in bacon and bbq'd, then covered in a mild cheese. That was a meal to remember!

b) Going to my aunt's place and having hot, fresh bread with butter and a glass of cold milk. To this day, that is still my favorite snack.

I also remember my cousins saying they were jealous of us because we were so rich that we could afford WonderBread and all they had was this lousy, home-made stuff. Idiots!

Just remembered how much I enjoyed fresh milk stateside after a little tin can cruise in WestPac.
Oh yeah. When I was 18 I worked up on a dam construction in Northern Australia...........middle of nowhere....powdered milk only.

Drove south to Alice Springs, (also in the middle of nowhere), when we left the dam.....they had ice cold milk....expensive ice cold milk....but I quaffed a few glasses.....they didn't hit the sides on the way down my throat.

I also remember my cousins saying they were jealous of us because we were so rich that we could afford WonderBread and all they had was this lousy, home-made stuff. Idiots!

I was one of those idiots in elementary school. What was I thinking? :blush:

Back
Top Bottom