What is your most memorable food experience

Those wooden spoons...I remember the way they felt on the tongue when the ice cream had melted away. Brings back another ice cream memory. In Ireland in the fifties we didn't have a fridge so when Sunday dinner was to be followed by ice cream it was my job to run to the store, buy a little block of ice cream and run home as fast as I could before it melted. Then the block was wrapped in newspaper to insulate it and when dessert was finally served tie ice cream was just perfect...firm but soft at the same time.

I'm from Ireland too, and I remember that so well, although I grew up in the fridge era! My favourite block icecream was Neapolitan: strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. Do you remember the wafers?

When I was 17 my parents and I went to Italy. My Dad had been there as a young man and had many fond memories. I'll always remember the day he introduced me to cappucino. We had walked the streets of Rome for hours. We sat outdoors at a little trattoria opposite the Parthenon. The coffee was dark roasted, the milk was foamy, and there were chocolate shavings on top. We sat there watching the Romans gesticulate and swoop by on their Vestas. Buon giorno!

I'm from Ireland too, and I remember that so well, although I grew up in the fridge era! My favourite block icecream was Neapolitan: strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. Do you remember the wafers?

When I was 17 my parents and I went to Italy. My Dad had been there as a young man and had many fond memories. I'll always remember the day he introduced me to cappucino. We had walked the streets of Rome for hours. We sat outdoors at a little trattoria opposite the Parthenon. The coffee was dark roasted, the milk was foamy, and there were chocolate shavings on top. We sat there watching the Romans gesticulate and swoop by on their Vestas. Buon giorno!
Yes, I remember the wafers. I think they gave you some when you bought the ice cream block. I remember too when they sliced the block in the store and sold you a threepenny or sixpenny wafer. Do you remember the broken biscuit deal where you could buy a pound of broken biscuits and there would be an assortment that would include some of the deluxe ones that your Mum would never usually buy. That was before packaged biscuits(cookies) when they were sold by weight and were displayed in big,square tins with glass fronts on a rack. You are maybe too young to remember those. My parents were pretty conservative spenders so I am pretty sure everyone in Ireland had a fridge before us so it wasn't that they didn't exist. Same with the telly, we didn't get one until about 1964.

Yes, I remember the wafers. I think they gave you some when you bought the ice cream block. I remember too when they sliced the block in the store and sold you a threepenny or sixpenny wafer. Do you remember the broken biscuit deal where you could buy a pound of broken biscuits and there would be an assortment that would include some of the deluxe ones that your Mum would never usually buy. That was before packaged biscuits(cookies) when they were sold by weight and were displayed in big,square tins with glass fronts on a rack. You are maybe too young to remember those. My parents were pretty conservative spenders so I am pretty sure everyone in Ireland had a fridge before us so it wasn't that they didn't exist. Same with the telly, we didn't get one until about 1964.

I remember the broken biscuits when we went to West Cork to visit my Granny. My mom had social aspirations so we didn't get those at home...but my parents were leery of the effects of too much television on kids' reading habits, play, etc, so we didn't get a TV till the late 60s. And it was rented, so they could give it back at any time.

My fondest food memory is Christmas time. The weeks before the house was filled with the scent of cookies baking .Then on Christmas we would awaken to the house transformed into wonderland . My parents always decorated the tree after we went to bed . They also arranged the toys under the tree .Mom would have got up early to put the giant turkey in the oven so the smells added to the atmosphere . We would have an early dinner and then snack on turkey for days . To this day Turkey is my favorite food.

It was in the 60's. My best friend, Liz, & I used to go to Woolworth's every day after school - we were sophomores, 15 years old, pretty, and knew it. Liz was prettier than me, and so was my mentor for coolness.

We each had a hot fudge banana split - and would talk about our dreams and yearnings for the future. We figured it all out. I remember her new big yellow and pink flower pin; I showed her my new dress purchased with baby-sitting money. We lived in the here-and-now, and could see into eternity, so young and alive were we.

Little did we know what the future had in store. Liz passed away in the 70's from a drug overdose.

Somehow, I survived into today - somewhat stronger, more realistic, and wiser. I miss Liz still....

When we were young parents, I went with my husband to the Scottsdale Princess for a business conference he was attending. One night my DH ordered room service on our own dime. It was served on our balcony with real silver and china, cloth napkins and a red rose. He told me he wanted me to enjoy that trip because he would probably not ever be able to afford to take me to such a nice place again. Fortunately, we've been to many other nice resorts and had many nice dinners, but I will always remember that meal.

I remember the broken biscuits when we went to West Cork to visit my Granny. My mom had social aspirations so we didn't get those at home...but my parents were leery of the effects of too much television on kids' reading habits, play, etc, so we didn't get a TV till the late 60s. And it was rented, so they could give it back at any time.

Since we are on a trip down an Irish memory lane what was/is your favourite biscuit. Mine is Kimberley and my daughter brings me packages of them whenever she returns for a visit...she knows I wouldn't let her in the house without them!!!! She also brings me bags of Tayto crisps, cheese and onion flavour and this past June she outdid herself by presenting me with 2 Maltana loaves.

Mom and I went on a trip to Paris back in the 80s. Just the two of us. We had a great time. A highlight was dinner at Le Bilboquet, a famous jazz club. Great music, wonderful food and a walk back to our hotel sharing an umbrella in a gentle rain. We talk about it often.

Since we are on a trip down an Irish memory lane what was/is your favourite biscuit. Mine is Kimberley and my daughter brings me packages of them whenever she returns for a visit...she knows I wouldn't let her in the house without them!!!! She also brings me bags of Tayto crisps, cheese and onion flavour and this past June she outdid herself by presenting me with 2 Maltana loaves.

"Kimberley, Mikado, and Coconut Creme"....remember the jingle? I used to like Kimberley too because of the spicy ginger flavour offset by the sugary marshmallow centre.....but now they seem so artificial and processed. As my taste matured, I loved Jacob's Cream Crackers (with cheese and tomato slices). I understand that Jacob's shut its Tallaght factory in 2009 after 156 years of making biscuits in Ireland. :( Another biscuit favourite was/is McVities Chocolate Digestives. Interestingly, when I lived in the US I missed all these things, and in Canada you can often find them on the supermarket shelves.

I also love Irish rashers and (pork) sausages. I have family members in the US who will smuggle them in. I'm not sure they dare nowadays with Homeland Security being so paranoid!

Dungeness crab is my favorite food and two weeks ago I had as much of it as I could stand!

I was on vacation with my high school girlfriends on Whidbey Island (NW of Seattle). Our cabin (family cabin of 2 of the gals) was right on the beach which allowed us to drop crab pots and catch 29 dungeness crabs over several days. As soon as the crab was brought to shore, I built a fire and cooked them in a pot filled with salt water. Doesn't get any fresher than that!

"Kimberley, Mikado, and Coconut Creme"....remember the jingle? I used to like Kimberley too because of the spicy ginger flavour offset by the sugary marshmallow centre.....but now they seem so artificial and processed. As my taste matured, I loved Jacob's Cream Crackers (with cheese and tomato slices). I understand that Jacob's shut its Tallaght factory in 2009 after 156 years of making biscuits in Ireland. :( Another biscuit favourite was/is McVities Chocolate Digestives. Interestingly, when I lived in the US I missed all these things, and in Canada you can often find them on the supermarket shelves.

I also love Irish rashers and (pork) sausages. I have family members in the US who will smuggle them in. I'm not sure they dare nowadays with Homeland Security being so paranoid!

Ah yes, the great Irish fry. Those lovely rashers with the rind still attached and Burn's sausages. Mum bought the sausages and rashers on Saturday morning and we had a fry for tea, Sunday breakfast and Sunday tea and if there were any left finished them off on Monday morning for breakfast. In the prefridge days by Monday the sausages were often a little 'high" but we ate them anyway and lived to tell the tale. My Dad liked white pudding too and he loved to have a piece of bread fried in the bacon fat until crisp and golden.
I still do a fry up every now and then and bake some scones to go with it plus a pot of strong tea. I am brewing up with Lyons tea at the moment thanks to my daughter.
We went on a school trip to the Jacobs biscuit factory when I was in highschool. This was the original factory in the centre of Dublin. It was the highlight of 5th year. We got to eat biscuits right off the conveyor belt and at the end we were each given a little tin of biscuits. What impressed me the most though was a big swimming pool in the basement which was for staff use. The factory was owned by a quaker family who believed in good working conditions for their employees.
I love cream crackers too but with lots of butter and marmite.

We were in Thailand last year and our group went to an ocean front open air seafood restaurant. We had 24 hour dried and then fried squid along with the biggest freshest tiger prawns ever.

The whole village that surrounded the restaurant was a squid and fish processing place with thousand of drying squid lying out on huge wire trays all over town. It was incredible.

The best meal in northern Thailand was in a village right next to Myanamar on the northern border. It was the first port belly I ever had and I wanted more. We also bought the best tea here. I am making it last.

My most memorable meal was last summer, when i picked a few of my own tomatoes for a salad, grilled a ribeye, and chased it all down with a couple of stouts that I brewed, while dining in my own back yard. Most of my memorable meals are homemade.
+1. We grow some veggies and herbs, and the more we use in a given meal, the more I like it. The difference between fresh tomatoes, green peppers, garlic and/or any fresh herbs is considerable! Throw in some homemade artisan bread (vs storebought) and you've got something special...

My favorite lunch was a 3 course affair in the cellar of a vineyard outside of Bologna - still the best pasta dish I ever had (this was in 2000). The wine and atmosphere were amazing.

A few months ago in Las Vegas, my SO and our best friends had an amazing dinner at Twist. Very expensive, but well worth it. So many different flavors and textures, great wine, great service - overall just a memorable evening.

In April, my SO and I ate in a small place in Montepulciano where the owner lured us in by saying he had the best food in Tuscany. Yeah, right, but we were tired and hungry. There was a mushroom-in-pastry dish that was to die for, and the rest of the food was also very good, but mostly I'll remember that he seranaded me in a voice that could challenge Pavarati, shared his personal vino santo with us, and told us stories of being a farmer and restaurant owner (all the food was from his farm, and his wife was the chef!). He gave us a fabulous first night in Tuscany.

It was in the 60's. My best friend, Liz, & I used to go to Woolworth's every day after school - we were sophomores, 15 years old, pretty, and knew it. Liz was prettier than me, and so was my mentor for coolness.

We each had a hot fudge banana split - and would talk about our dreams and yearnings for the future. We figured it all out. I remember her new big yellow and pink flower pin; I showed her my new dress purchased with baby-sitting money. We lived in the here-and-now, and could see into eternity, so young and alive were we.

Little did we know what the future had in store. Liz passed away in the 70's from a drug overdose.

Somehow, I survived into today - somewhat stronger, more realistic, and wiser. I miss Liz still....

I was thinking of Woolworth's as I got to your message. I lived in Kingston, NY until I was 12. I remember going into Woolworth's and they had a special on Ice Cream Sundays. They put all of these balloons above the counter and you would pick one, pop it and the price you would pay for the Sunday would be written on a small piece of paper inside the balloon. I remember you could see through most of the balloons and see the prices before you picked one, so we got some great deals on Ice Cream Sundays!

In 2006 we found Grandma's Kitchun in the small town of Boston, Kentucky. We were famished, but the sign in the window said CLOSED.......I tried the handle anyway.....the owners, a husband & wife team, were still there and told us to come in.....if there were customers they'd feed 'em, (while we were eating the phone rang a couple times and the guy told the callers to "Come on down").

I've been to some 60 countries, but this was the absolute BEST 'home cooked meal' I've ever had...and my lady concurred.

A couple years later we went out of our way for a reprise......but they'd closed down and moved away...someone said that they might have gone to Bardstown....some 20 odd miles away as I recall.....so we drove there and walked around in the rain looking.....no luck.

If we knew where they relocated to, and if they were still in business, we'd find an excuse to drive down from Ontario and revisit!

grandmaskitchun.jpg

My dad should have been a chef. One day, he decided to make a black forest cake from scratch.

He went out to a local farm and got some cream and got us kids to make butter. He used more cream to make whipped cream.

He marinated some cherries in Kirsch. Toasted some almonds. Then he baked a german chocolate cake from scratch. He cut each cake in half and began layering with cherries and whipped cream/almonds.

The end result was a huge cake, covered in whipped cream, chocolate shavings and more cherries.

Best thing I ever ate. I've never been able to eat purchased black forest cake since them.

We won't even talk about his apple pies...... sigh!

Rocky and Carlos baked macaroni. In da parrish. I will be headed to New Orleans next month for a wedding.

heh heh heh - not mine. :D

You have a powerful way with words, mary. This story resonated with me to a surprising degree. I have similar memories, but none so splendidly presented. Thank you for sharing. :flowers:

A rattlesnake freshly killed and roasted in the deserts of Chihuahua.
Two months of Padang food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in West Sumatra.
An exquisite pasta with baby octopus dinner in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Pisa.
A breakfast of freshly baked bread, salty olives, honey, and tea in eastern Turkey.

Somehow the days and the nights that accompanied the food blend with the meals to make my memories of them more vivid!

Throw in some homemade artisan bread (vs storebought) and you've got something special...

Isnt' it interesting that a simple thing like bread, similar to the hand made bread my mother made, is now called 'artisan'. Real Veggies, grown in one's own garden and harvested WHEN THEY ARE RIPE, are now called "heirloom'.

How times have changed!

Isnt' it interesting that a simple thing like bread, similar to the hand made bread my mother made, is now called 'artisan'. Real Veggies, grown in one's own garden and harvested WHEN THEY ARE RIPE, are now called "heirloom'.

How times have changed!
Actually there's a distinction IMO. Simply homemade from scratch does not make the product artisan, more to it than that. But homemade usually beats store-bought...

Back
Top Bottom