What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good tip. I'd be saying to myself: If I had wanted that brand, I would have ordered it. :mad:

That’s exactly what I said to myself. The delivery person (who reviewed the invoice with me) said he would take it back and get me a refund, but I decided that was unnecessary for an error that was mine. They had, after all, just acted according to my instructions.

My pet peeve today is this tracking ad that I keep getting despite opting out more than once on AdChoice. It is a shoe company (NewChic) and maybe they sell clothes too. The shoes look really nice but they almost never have them in my size. Many of the shoe descriptions include terms like "Good Cow Leather". I did find a shoe in my size that I liked once and actually placed an order, but my size was backordered for 3 months. After three months they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I guess that order is one reason they continue to stalk.

That’s exactly what I said to myself. The delivery person (who reviewed the invoice with me) said he would take it back and get me a refund, but I decided that was unnecessary for an error that was mine. They had, after all, just acted according to my instructions.

I think you’re being too hard on yourself. At most an oversight, but no error. After all, a non-organic product really isn’t a substitute for an organic one, and the grocer knows that.

Loose you're arrogance about this. :) :)

One that I just noticed on another site: "You can wonder around town" (this twice in one para so I presume it's not a typo).

Was tempted to ask "While you're speculating, are you getting anywhere?"

Last edited:
Haha! Especially when reading an article about "whatever" subject by a so-called journalist I often have to stop and ask myself "what the heck did he just say?" Do they ever employ proofreaders?
In my limited experience as a freelance proofreader one thing I've discovered is that it is difficult to proofread your own writing. You know what you meant to write and often can't see the mistakes you wrote. Too many people rely on spell check to correct their writings. Which often leads to a different problem.

I had a pet peeve for Monday and one for Wednesday so here you go.

On Monday I had to go into the big city core as part of a little consulting thing I was doing so decided to take the commuter train. Got on at the first stop so lots of seats. Within a minute or two it was apparent that the guy a few seats away was going to spend the trip trying to cough up a lung. So I moved to the other end of the car. Third stop a lady sits down opposite me and commences coughing. At least the guy had a hanky. The woman not covering up at all. So moved again. Wound up with a probably viral sore throat on Thursday. Not bad but still. Take the day off or drive or wear a mask!

On Wednesday, went to the Apple store. New exactly what Macbook Pro I was buying. Spoke to the nice greeter and told him that I just wanted to give them my credit card, get the computer and go. He said it was really busy (8 pm Wednesday) and that it would be at least a 20 minute wait. Strange business model. Also had an interesting discussion with the salesperson when I did finally get one but that was just gravy.

People who look at me and assume:

1) I'm a shrinking violet
2) I'm younger and or less intelligent than they are
3) I'm young and sweet and they want to therefore pat me on the head and say something like, aww, aren't you sweet
4) that I'm someone's wife, and I'm waiting on the beach, at the restaurant, on the trail, on the slope, for my husband to return

None of these things are true. And I'm tired of the arrogance of people to assume these things about me.

3) I'm young and sweet and they want to therefore pat me on the head and say something like, aww, aren't you sweet
4) that I'm someone's wife, and I'm waiting on the beach, at the restaurant, on the trail, on the slope, for my husband to return

None of these things are true. And I'm tired of the arrogance of people to assume these things about me.

People generally assume I'm older and less intelligent than they are - and they're usually correct.

Peeve of the decade: After all the hundreds of years that corrective lenses have been made, I cannot get a bifocal lens that has zero correction for the near vision part of the lens.

Folks who like to sit in public places and sing along to the radio. Really you don't sound like you should sing in public.

Folks who like to sit in public places and sing along to the radio. Really you don't sound like you should sing in public.

Whenever my father heard me singing he would say "You really should be on the radio. Then I could shut you off."

There also seems to be a trend of clueless people using speakerphone while walking in public, so loud I have to raise my voice for DW to hear me. I once followed an entire conversation from half a block down the street.

Whenever my father heard me singing he would say "You really should be on the radio. Then I could shut you off."
Haha.

I'm fantasizing about how that would have played out with a stranger in an auto dealership. Probably best it remains a fantasy.

There also seems to be a trend of clueless people using speakerphone while walking in public ...

A few years back, an atty did this on the commuter train I was riding on. He was talking about a pending case and providing all kinds of confidential details about it to whoever he was talking to -- and to many of us in the train car. It quickly became clear to me that the client whose case he was discussing was my employer.

Perhaps I should have tapped him on the shoulder and told him to put a cork in it. Instead, I went to the office the next day and spoke to the atty managing the case.

Not surprisingly, she was not amused and I'm sure that indiscrete atty got an earful from her. :eek:

On Wednesday, went to the Apple store. New exactly what Macbook Pro I was buying. Spoke to the nice greeter and told him that I just wanted to give them my credit card, get the computer and go. He said it was really busy (8 pm Wednesday) and that it would be at least a 20 minute wait. Strange business model. Also had an interesting discussion with the salesperson when I did finally get one but that was just gravy.

If you already knew which computer you wanted, why didn’t you order it online? I seem to remember doing that when I bought my MacBook Air in 2012 (still no problems).

The strength and resistance of cheap perfumes and scents.

We got a bunch of these at a rummage sale:

71c8%2B8mhS9L._SL1500_.jpg

Got them home and I realized they smelled of cheap perfume. Strong odor. I figured they just had been used in a home with a lot of air freshener, but now I think the scent was added to the plastic.

I soaked them in vinegar, but the scent remains.

Those look similar to bag closures that I bought from Ikea.

Ikea Bevara Bag Sealing Clips 30 Pack

I am so sorry. Please accept my apology.

Continuing peeve. The ripoff of old folks by ****bags. My mother who is 94 keeps getting 'mistake' bills for medical things. A recent one was for $3,600 for a dermatologist visit for surgery. Luckily I was there to help her make all the anxiety wracked phone calls here and there. They finally admitted it was a 'mistake' and that my mom did not have to pay it. How many old folks just get out the checkbook and pay, being afraid to speak up?

Haha! Especially when reading an article about "whatever" subject by a so-called journalist I often have to stop and ask myself "what the heck did he just say?" Do they ever employ proofreaders?
In my limited experience as a freelance proofreader one thing I've discovered is that it is difficult to proofread your own writing. You know what you meant to write and often can't see the mistakes you wrote. Too many people rely on spell check to correct their writings. Which often leads to a different problem.

A newspaper that apparently is vying for the championship of typos is The Times (of Trenton, NJ). Not just the 'wear' vs 'where' errors that are everywhere, but obviously misspelled words, like 'watr' instead of 'water'. Completely mind-blowing. And these typos are in the bold print headlines! At least one per week. No one seems to care there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom