What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear are some grammer tips for myself and the rest of you:

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.
  2. Never use a preposition to end a sentence with. Winston Churchill, corrected on this error once, responded to the young man who corrected him by saying "Young man, that is the kind of impudence up with which I will not put!
  3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
  4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
  5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat.)
  6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
  7. Be more or less specific.
  8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
  9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies endlessly over and over again.
  10. No sentence fragments.
  11. Contractions aren't always necessary and shouldn't be used to excess so don't.
  12. Foreign words and phrases are not always apropos.
  13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous and can be excessive.
  14. All generalizations are bad.
  15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
  16. Don't use no double negatives.
  17. Avoid excessive use of ampersands & abbrevs., etc.
  18. One-word sentences? Eliminate.
  19. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake (Unless they are as good as gold).
  20. The passive voice is to be ignored.
  21. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words, however, should be enclosed in commas.
  22. Never use a big word when substituting a diminutive one would suffice.
  23. Don't overuse exclamation points!!!
  24. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
  25. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-shaking ideas.
  26. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed and use it correctly with words' that show possession.
  27. Don't use too many quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate quotations.. Tell me what you know."
  28. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a billion times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly. Besides, hyperbole is always overdone, anyway.
  29. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
  30. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
  31. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
  32. Who needs rhetorical questions? However, what if there were no rhetorical questions?
  33. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
  34. Avoid "buzz-words"; such integrated transitional scenarios complicate simplistic matters.
  35. People don't spell "a lot" correctly alot of the time.
  36. Each person should use their possessive pronouns correctly.
  37. All grammar and spelling rules have exceptions (with a few exceptions)....Morgan's Law.
  38. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
  39. The dash - a sometimes useful punctuation mark - can often be overused - even though it's a helpful tool some of the time.
  40. Proofread carefully to make sure you don't repeat repeat any words.
  41. In writing, it's important to remember that dangling sentences.

I'll just get right on memorizing all of these as soon as I can free up some time!:LOL:

A few hours after the Maryland explosion and I'm hearing a live report that they're "working" to shut off the gas to make the area safe.

It was also hard to find the exact location because of what seems to be poor reporting, but I finally found it:

https://goo.gl/maps/b2LPADYRu2mooj8y9

Update to my complaints about not getting contractors, house remodelers to follow-up on their initial contact. One of my complaints was about a person saying he would give us an unsolicited quote on paving our rural drive-way. He never called back, never left the promised quote. My husband looked up paving companies in the town he was from. Called the one he thought the guy was from. Wrong company......BUT that company in turn, came out and gave us a quote the same day as the phone call. Came back a few days later and paved the drive. In other words the second company got the job totally due to the first company's bad customer follow-up/importance. We were willing to pay someone. Guess there should be a lesson in there for the initial business......but one they will probably never get unless they do eventually get back to us.

Crazy part is that we weren't seeking out companies to have the drive paved. But since the 1st one planted the idea in our heads AND we decided to spend the money....hey, why not go through with it??

Update to my complaints about not getting contractors, house remodelers to follow-up on their initial contact.

As others have said, it's really a surprisingly common problem with small businesses. I used to have a neighbor who was a banker specializing in small businesses, and his comment was "This is why most small businesses stay small."

As others have said, it's really a surprisingly common problem with small businesses. I used to have a neighbor who was a banker specializing in small businesses, and his comment was "This is why most small businesses stay small."
And my observation is that a lot of people are in business for themselves because they have been fired from everywhere else.

Several times a week, I get an email from some European hotel or airline offering wonderful bargains. They know who I am, since I've traveled with them or stayed with them in the past, but they don't seem to recognize that I'm not allowed in their countries now. :facepalm:

Several times a week, I get an email from some European hotel or airline offering wonderful bargains. They know who I am, since I've traveled with them or stayed with them in the past, but they don't seem to recognize that I'm not allowed in their countries now. :facepalm:

I bet they would even happily accept your deposit for a reservation.:D

No, Joe went to the store with you.

Actually, that sort of thing caused me no end of grief when I was learning Portuguese. In English, we pretty much use "take" and "bring" interchangeably, but in many other languages they are very different and you get really funny looks if you use the wrong one.

"Joe came to the store with me." Yup, that's right.

I did not go to the store with you!

:LOL:

But did you go with myself?

Actually, that sort of thing caused me no end of grief when I was learning Portuguese. In English, we pretty much use "take" and "bring" interchangeably, but in many other languages they are very different and you get really funny looks if you use the wrong one.
If all y’all shopped at Amazon you wouldn’t have this problem in the first place.

braumeister said:

Italian is interesting also. You take a coffee, not have a coffee. Prendiamo un cafè. I don’t care if we have coffee or take a coffee in Italy. I want a real cappuccino. It’s been too long.

It depends on the context. If you're standing in the store at that moment and someone asks "Have you seen Joe?", you could very well find yourself telling that person "Joe came to the store with me. He's over buying beer right now, but when I see him, I'll tell him to find you."

Yes, I'm assuming (perhaps rashly) that O2Bfree wasn't posting while in the store. Since he mentioned that George went to the store with him, I figured that Joe probably went as well.

BTW, this week's meeting of Pedants Anonymous has been canceled due to COVID. :cool:

What would we do for fun if there were no nits to pick?

But if I was at the store, I would say he came to the store with me. At least that sounds right to me.

But if I was at the store, I would say he came to the store with me. At least that sounds right to me.

Yes, of course. But you apparently weren't posting from the store, because you said George went there with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom