What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pet peeve of mine:

When a person hocks a loogie while at the same time is also urinating in public.

Oh yikes. I don't even know what "hocks a loogie" means but it sounds bad. And you already had me at urinating in public.
Bad, very bad...

Oh yikes. I don't even know what "hocks a loogie" means but it sounds bad. And you already had me at urinating in public.
Bad, very bad...

:LOL:

he probably meant: "in public restrooms"

and yes, it grosses me out too! Definitely worthy of pet peeve status!

A pet peeve of mine:

When a person hocks a loogie while at the same time is also urinating in public.

You're a single tasker. Some are multi-taskers. If you ask he can probably play a tune for you too.;)

A pet peeve of mine:

Pro golfers who spit, on camera. Haven't seen them urinating, thank goodness. Do they think they're pro football players or something? Are they chewing cuds of redman tobacco? Tiger Woods was a spitter. Come on, get some class.

No it's not. It's the free market and private sector decisions being made. It's all for your protection. Isn't that what the owners of the business are doing? The marketplace rewards businesses who do that kind of thing and punishes those who don't doesn't it? Big Bro? No. That's only when the government does it.

Well, that's what they want you to think, yeah. But once your voice print is on some server somewhere, it can end up anywhere, in a hacker's collection, in a govt database after the govt decides it wants to have it, etc, etc. Unintended consequences, as usual. Just sayin'.

Well, that's what they want you to think, yeah. But once your voice print is on some server somewhere, it can end up anywhere, in a hacker's collection, in a govt database after the govt decides it wants to have it, etc, etc. Unintended consequences, as usual. Just sayin'.

Even though it is not sophisticated, your voice is recorded all over the place and associated with you...

Any time you call up a help line or heck, almost any company for any reason they record your voice.... I do not know how long them keep it, but banks and brokerage firm probably keep them at least 7 years and maybe more...

I do not think it is a stretch to say that almost every adult in the US has a voice recording they do not have control over...

Even though it is not sophisticated, your voice is recorded all over the place and associated with you...

Any time you call up a help line or heck, almost any company for any reason they record your voice.... I do not know how long them keep it, but banks and brokerage firm probably keep them at least 7 years and maybe more...

I do not think it is a stretch to say that almost every adult in the US has a voice recording they do not have control over...

The voice recordings in financial services go away very quickly. IIRC only a couple of weeks. There's not a great way to index the call data. They seldom go back to it .

The voice recordings in financial services go away very quickly. IIRC only a couple of weeks. There's not a great way to index the call data. They seldom go back to it .

Not for the brokerage calls... I think they have to keep them 3 years...

I agree with the regular calls to the phone bank... just long enough to take a listen if a customer calls and complains...

Pretentious restaurant menus: DH and I ordered this last weekend at a contemporary American restaurant: "savoy golabki, quinoa, mozzarella, rutabaga, golden raisins, heirloom tomato sauces." after the waiter had painstakingly translated the entire menu. The helper waiter delivered the dish saying, "you guys ordered the cabbage roll." Yes, and it was delicious, so why call it savoy golabk on the menui? OTOH we now can throw around "aigre doux" when we want to say "sweet and sour", so we did learn something....
Ah, I happen to know what golabki is, after making it following a youtube video like this. I don't see beef in the above ingredient list though, and also have not thought of using quinoa instead of rice although I eat the former daily for lunch.

...and another thing...

Drivers who are aware, or should be, that there are cars behind them yet still insist on slowing to a crawl or completely stopping in the middle of the road so they can chat with a pedestrian or someone in an oncoming car.

Ah, I happen to know what golabki is, after making it following a youtube video like this. I don't see beef in the above ingredient list though, and also have not thought of using quinoa instead of rice although I eat the former daily for lunch. ...

I cheat, and make a casserole version of that. Layers of shredded cabbage, browned pork-sausage/beef mix with rice and tomato sauce. Bake, add cheese topping at the end.

It's not traditional, but it tastes good. If someone wants to take the time and do all that rolling, I'll eat it!

-ERD50

Bad, very bad...

Yes, indeed, bad, very bad. However, if you are interested in learning the meaning, you can Google "hocks a loogie" and if that piques your interest, you can see it in action on YouTube--but, I suggest that you don't, as it won't make you a happier person unless you equate "happy" with "nauseous".

You're walking up to an empty intersection. A lone car pulls up to the stop sign and has plenty of time to take off and get out of your way. But he/she wants to just sit there for 20 seconds while you amble up, so he/she can politely wave you through the intersection as he/she watches you walk through the crosswalk. What's up with that? Guess I'm just ungrateful or something.

You're walking up to an empty intersection. A lone car pulls up to the stop sign and has plenty of time to take off and get out of your way. But he/she wants to just sit there for 20 seconds while you amble up, so he/she can politely wave you through the intersection as he/she watches you walk through the crosswalk. What's up with that? Guess I'm just ungrateful or something.

LOL.... I think the same when I am driving... the car is stopped at a 4 way stop... I am coming to the intersection.... but they just SIT there.... you stop completely... look at them.... decided to start and then they blast in front of you.... does not happen often, but I wonder what is going through their mind....

I hear ya, and I have another uber-politeness peeve. I'm in the left turn lane on my bicycle, arm out, waiting for a few cars coming the other way to go by. The first car STOPS and the driver waves for me to turn in front of him. Please, no! Not only is that not the rules of the road, it can be dangerous because one or two cars back, someone often gets impatient and blasts around the stopped cars, hitting the brakes again only when they realize there's a biker in the lane.

LOL.... I think the same when I am driving... the car is stopped at a 4 way stop... I am coming to the intersection.... but they just SIT there.... you stop completely... look at them.... decided to start and then they blast in front of you.... does not happen often, but I wonder what is going through their mind....

I would bet on a cell phone, either talking or texting. That's the excuse I'm using now for all stupid driving.

How about when someone calls, and without asking, "Are you busy right now?" or "Do you have a few minutes to chat?" they launch into a 20, 30, 45 minute monologue on whatever comes to their mind. Then it's, "Oh, well I should let you go now", but they don't! They just start talking again! I'll usually put it on speakerphone and continue making dinner or giving CPR or whatever I was doing. But aarrgghh! As an introvert with a prepay phone plan, I resent having my minutes chewed up this way.

The people who try to push to the front of traffic when construction has lanes closed. They know the lane is ending and instead of getting over they wait until the last second to try and squeeze in. And then they honk and flip you off for not giving them space to accommodate their rectal-cranial inversion.

The people who try to push to the front of traffic when construction has lanes closed. They know the lane is ending and instead of getting over they wait until the last second to try and squeeze in.

This used to irritate me as well. Then I read the book Traffic and realized they're doing it correctly and most efficiently using the available pavement.

This used to irritate me as well. Then I read the book Traffic and realized they're doing it correctly and most efficiently using the available pavement.

Yes!
Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.

Yes!
Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.

Yep, and I just wish they would post signs to that effect, so people like RetiredGypsy don't get mad at us for doing it correctly!

If you think about it for a second (this is the "Thinking, Fast and Slow" concept/book I've talked about before), it makes perfect sense. Why would you have a section of roadway, and not let people use it? It is just a wasted resource, causing more traffic backup. If they wanted you to merge way back there, they would have put the gate way back there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

OK, RetiredGypsy , now that you know better, please stop getting mad at us, and tell ten friends, and tell them to tell ten friends!

Oh, and maybe an apology is in order for the "rectal-cranial inversion" crack against your fellow er.org members? Hmmmm?

-ERD50

Last edited:

You obviously have not lived in a small town. Around here it is the expected way. Even if it takes a WHOLE MINUTE OR TWO.:LOL:

You know you live in a small town when three cars in a row are a traffic jam. And don't use a turn signal, since everyone knows where you are going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom