Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #1961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I'm the one who when I'm on a merging lane I merge as soon as the lane is open. When I enter the lane my speed is equal or faster than traffic. And I'm often entering the left lane quickly to avoid the ones that wait until the merge lane ends then just pull in front of someone who either didn't or couldn't move over.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #1962
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, actually I think traffic flows much, much better in a merge if folks go all the way to the end of the lane merging before trying to merge. Otherwise, folks merge early, and other people pass them jumping ahead. It's the early mergers that are screwing it up for everyone else by slowing down the lane that everyone is merging into.
So there must be some kind of goldilocks zone: not too early to cause backup due to inefficiency, not too late to cause backup by people cutting in at the last second that causes people to slam on their brakes and still manage to slow down traffic.

Someone who has a j*b can figure out where it is.

Apparently, if you're under some magical age, if you say you don't want kids, you're suddenly under fire by some people who feel I don't know what. Offended maybe?

Oh, you'll change your mind.
Oh, you don't care for other people's kids much? You'll change your mind when they're yours.
Well, you never know, accidents happen.
You should have kids, you'd make a great dad!

I made sure I can't have kids, and even if I could, I'm too busy raising a motorcycle!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #1963

Why do they make over the counter meds that you can't reseal the box. I just bought Claritin, opened the box, took out a reditab and realized there's no way to seal the box. What's up with that? It's not like there's a bottle, it's 3 or 4 blister packs. I've got painters tape holding the box shut. I hate sloppy!
Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #1964

Phone messages that say "call me", with no further information.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #1965
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on who left the message.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, appelle moi mon cherie, appelle moi
Anytime, anyplace, anywhere, any way
Anytime, anyplace, anywhere, any day

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #1966
Give me a forum ...

My pet peeve is "What happened to days of getting a courtesy call?".

I live in a condo unit and it's required to have the dryer vent cleaned. So I have that scheduled for 10 am. It's already 10:25 am. So, I called the company and told them I have a 10 am appointment. Their answer, "Well, there's a unit below you who is also getting serviced, so probably they started their first then will work their way up to your unit". Logical, but would be nice if they let me know instead of having my waiting, waiting having to make a call to find out what's going on.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #1967
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My pet peeve is "What happened to days of getting a courtesy call?".

I live in a condo unit and it's required to have the dryer vent cleaned. So I have that scheduled for 10 am. It's already 10:25 am. So, I called the company and told them I have a 10 am appointment. Their answer, "Well, there's a unit below you who is also getting serviced, so probably they started their first then will work their way up to your unit". Logical, but would be nice if they let me know instead of having my waiting, waiting having to make a call to find out what's going on.
I agree. If you have an appointment for a set time and you are going to be late, the least you can do is call. Being late for a set time is even worse than having a '4 hour window' IMO.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Why do they make over the counter meds that you can't reseal the box. I just bought Claritin, opened the box, took out a reditab and realized there's no way to seal the box. What's up with that? It's not like there's a bottle, it's 3 or 4 blister packs. I've got painters tape holding the box shut. I hate sloppy!
Tamper protection, maybe?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #1969

My PPOTD is pedestrians who ignore the walk signs. I think they believe they are invincible, or maybe just need the money from a settlement.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #1970
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Most people don't realize it, but the zipper movement (using all available lanes) is by far the most efficient way through.
This is only true when traffic is flowing smoothly, at a normal rate.

When traffic is bumper-to-bumper and stop-and-go, it's simply queue-jumping, and is inconsiderate.

This fact, however, has not stopped habitual "cheaters" from latching on to the part of the story they like ("Driving to the end and cutting in is scientifically superior!") and discarding the part they don't like (that it is only true for smoothly-flowing traffic, which is not the scenario about which the rest of us "fair play" drivers are complaining).
Old 02-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #1971
Give me a forum ...

Service providers, Direct TV in this case, who's VRU application tells me to go to their website and self-service. When you get there the website doesn't allow you to do the transaction you want to do! You have to speak with a representative!

Then at the call wrap-up I get transferred to a guy who's job is to read the contractual obligation I've just agreed to. OK, I'll go along with the game. This guy, the reader, has horrible English skills! I can't understand him at all! I worked with folks who were from the part of the world his accent is from, I understand them fine.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
My PPOTD is pedestrians who ignore the walk signs. I think they believe they are invincible, or maybe just need the money from a settlement.
It has always been my understanding that if they are not in-accordance-with the walk/don't walk protocols you can plow into them
Old 02-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
It has always been my understanding that if they are not in-accordance-with the walk/don't walk protocols you can plow into them
Another peeve is the delicate plastic grilles they put on vehicles now. They get all broken up when plowing into pedestrians who ignore "Don't Walk" signs. And new parts are so expensive!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
And don't forget to tally your points.
The Official Rules for Pedestrian Bowling - CraveOnline
Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #1975

Quote:
I don't want to get argumentative but I think teenagers ought to have the highest points allowed. They are fastest and have the quickest reflexes, so much so, in my opinion, as to overcome the fact that they aren't paying attention most of the time
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #1976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You need to go with the original.... too bad they do not have the scoring on this site...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Race_2000

Oh... I found it.... and it refers to the 10 points!! Plus, teens are worth more, but I do not know why old people are 100...

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Membe...race-2000/view
Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #1977

I still pay one monthly bill via check & snail mail, my car loan through Chase.
My previous auto loan, through a bank in Chicago, was for 5 years, & they sent me one thick coupon payment booklet, with the entire 5 years worth.

Chase, on the other hand, sends me 3 pmt coupons 4 times a year, & always waits until the last minute, let's say 5 days before the end of the quarter.
The payment is due on the 4th.

Is this a coincidence, absolutely not IMO. They hope that some people, unlike myself, will just accept the fact that they get the payment coupons too late to get the next pmt there on time, & pay a late fee.

Since I started the loan in July 2015, I call them the day I get my next quarter's paperwork, explain to them that the payment could be late due to them getting it to me so late, & also include a note with my payment repeating that.

God I hate corporate America sometimes.

FYI: I'm as certain as one can be, that many of you that just read this, were contemplating typing a response telling me to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.

I'll probably end up doing that eventually, but it doesn't justify what these ******** will do to try & increase revenues.

End of PEEVE
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #1978
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I still pay one monthly bill via check & snail mail, my car loan through Chase.

My previous auto loan, through a bank in Chicago, was for 5 years, & they sent me one thick coupon payment booklet, with the entire 5 years worth.

Chase, on the other hand, sends me 3 pmt coupons 4 times a year, & always waits until the last minute, let's say 5 days before the end of the quarter.

The payment is due on the 4th.

Is this a coincidence, absolutely not IMO. They hope that some people, unlike myself, will just accept the fact that they get the payment coupons too late to get the next pmt there on time, & pay a late fee.

Since I started the loan in July 2015, I call them the day I get my next quarter's paperwork, explain to them that the payment could be late due to them getting it to me so late, & also include a note with my payment repeating that.

God I hate corporate America sometimes.

FYI: I'm as certain as one can be, that many of you that just read this, were contemplating typing a response telling me to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.

I'll probably end up doing that eventually, but it doesn't justify what these ******** will do to try & increase revenues.

End of PEEVE

I have no choice but to receive my water and sewer bills through snail mail. They are still in the dark ages. But when I do get the bill, I pay using online bill pay through my bank. If I take a long trip I'll just pay ahead.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Suggestion: you might want to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Suggestion: you might want to join the 21st-century & sign up for auto pay.
Stupidity is not a crime, so you’re free to go
Closed Thread