What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding ebay, I seldom bid on anything but prefer to find a buy it now, preferably one with a make offer button. But I did score a vent cover for the motorhome at a nice discount recently.

My pet peeve of the day is:

When an entire thread disappears, never to return and there is no explanation given. I understand closing down a thread, but a thread simply vanishing feels creepy to me.

Yesterday I wrote,
My pet peeve of the day is FedEx.

Amazon said my new Dyson vacuum cleaner should arrive Friday.

FedEx sent me a text message saying I have to be here all day TODAY because I have to sign for the package.

And yet, FedEx tracking says that the package just left Memphis last night. Nothing about "Out for Delivery" although it is supposed to be delivered today. See attached graphic from their tracker.

I'm so confused. :LOL:
It arrived this morning in a somewhat battered box, and when I answered the door (ready to sign!) the FedEx man cheerfully said, "I'll sign for you". :banghead:

Oh well. It's nice to be off the hook and not have to sit around all day today waiting for FedEx, like we did yesterday.

My pet peeve of the day are nag popups of computer programs asking to buy a premium version.

Case in point, Panda Antivirus. At one time, Panda was the new, unobtrusive antivirus program. But lately, been getting the nag popup with a very very small 'x' to close the nag screen. After so many times, I finally gave up and uninstalled and replaced with a more nimble AV program.

Upon uninstalling, commented on their survey that the frequent nagging is too annoying :mad:.

When an entire thread disappears, never to return and there is no explanation given. I understand closing down a thread, but a thread simply vanishing feels creepy to me.
Threads, hell. I've seen posters disappear with no explanation, never again to return.:eek:

Second time you've mentioned this, are you sure a whole thread is disappearing? I have a old laptop we use in the garage. Sometimes my posts don't show up after I hit reply and threads disappear until I refresh the window or close and reopen the browser.

Second time you've mentioned this, are you sure a whole thread is disappearing? I have a old laptop we use in the garage. Sometimes my posts don't show up after I hit reply and threads disappear until I refresh the window or close and reopen the browser.

Thanks. I'm glad someone is paying attention. The most recent thread that I think may have disappeared has to do with a person's first/earliest childhood memory. Maybe it's still around, but I couldn't find it. It was a relatively new thread; might have been started about two weeks ago.

note to add: of course I could just be experiencing an on-going senior moment.

Yes, Redduck is correct about threads disappearing as it does happen occasionally.

From my old mod days I know when the first post in a thread is deleted, as is often the case when it is started by a spammer, the entire thread goes away when the spammer is shown the exit and his/her/its posts are deleted. Not sure why anyone would think that is creepy...

Last edited:
Yes, Redduck is correct about threads disappearing as it does happen occasionally.

From my old mod days I know when the first post in a thread is deleted, as is often the case when it is started by a spammer, the entire thread goes away when the spammer is shown the exit and his/her/its posts are deleted. Not sure why anyone would think that is creepy...

I guess that in this case, it didn't seem like it was a spam-like post (maybe because it was so well disguised). Anyhow, it had quite a few responses and nobody seemed to have challenged the thread as spam. So, yes, when the thread disappeared (assuming it did disappear and not that I mixed up my medications ((again)) causing reality misperceptions or paranoia, I found it creepy. It was an established thread with no obvious reasons for it to vanish. Maybe when threads vanish, there should be some sort of notice that it has been pulled (not necessarily with the reason of why).

Sometimes threads and spammers just need to go away for security reasons. You won't always get an explanation for that.

The amount of luck needed to get *accurate* info from customer service folks. Example: you ask your auto insurance company what forms are needed to something and what it will cost and you get answer #1. You hang up, then think of something you forgot to ask, call back, get different agent/clerk and this person tells you that the previous person is wrong, and it will actually cost you a lot more, and will be more time-consuming. You remember name of first person who gave you the better answer, call back, that person can't be located, but this new person will be glad to assist. New person gives you yet another twist on the facts. You ask to speak to a supervisor and just maybe you'll get the real story. But it turns out that if you had just gone with answer #1, you'd be way better off, but how would you know if you hadn't encountered the other answers? I thought health insurance companies were kings of this, but auto insurance companies are just as bad. Rant mode off.

WOW.... on vacation for less than 2 weeks and FIVE pages of complaints!!!

But, on the trip I had one that got me mad...

Apps that automatically update and then do not work!!

I do not use Skype that often, but it would not work... went to the app store and looked at any update etc... I had the current, but it said 'this app does not work on your device'!!!

Also had the same on Gas Buddy.... I used it all the time and now it does not work for some reason...

And YES, I have a REALLY OLD tablet... but it still works so why get rid of it....

And YES, I have a REALLY OLD tablet... but it still works so why get rid of it....

Speaking of old tablets, I paid through the nose and got a new iPad Air 2 eighteen months ago. I am a little disgusted that 7 of the 11 iPad games installed on it now need updating if they are to work under IOS 11. The game designer(s) (mostly Playrix) have shown absolutely no inclination to design updates so far.

Oh well. I actually found a better Sudoku when I discovered that my old one will not work under IOS 11. Also I found one Playrix game that will work under IOS11, but it is my least favorite one. This is pretty ridiculous when playing these games is the main use I have for an iPad.

Thanks. I'm glad someone is paying attention. The most recent thread that I think may have disappeared has to do with a person's first/earliest childhood memory. Maybe it's still around, but I couldn't find it. It was a relatively new thread; might have been started about two weeks ago.

note to add: of course I could just be experiencing an on-going senior moment.

It's not a senior moment. I remember that thread, and then it was gone without a trace, and I have no idea who offended whom.

It's not a senior moment. I remember that thread, and then it was gone without a trace, and I have no idea who offended whom.
I believe this explains it. Troll opened it, gets themselves booted and the clean-up deletes the thread as the OP was toasted.

Without going into details, trying to get the hospital to refund monies you paid to them and were overcharged.

(hospital: no problem Sir, we will reverse the charge on your credit card (NOT!!)). :mad:

Apps that automatically update and then do not work!!

Ooh, completely agree with this one. HUGE pet peeve of mine. I have an older iPad and there have been several instances where an app refuses to load until it's updated to the latest version. But then, when I try to do that, it tells me the new version of the app isn't compatible with my device!

As someone who has experience developing software, this really irks me because I know it isn't a technical limitation, it's purely a marketing decision. Apparently, the app makers and device makers feel like most people will just blithely spend several hundred dollars every few years to buy the latest and greatest tablets, even though the ones they currently have are still in perfectly good working order and are fully capable of doing nearly everything the new ones can. The app update/incompatibility scenario is completely artificial and, IMHO, a cynical and quite transparent ploy to nudge people into upgrading their expensive devices far more often than necessary.

You do know that you can turn the automatic updating "feature" off, don't you?

I have, but for some reason a few seem to update anyhow.... or as Sojourner said you have to update to use it...

I keep saying 'no' to the apps that say there are updates available... but most of mine are games and as long as they work I am happy...

As someone who has experience developing software, this really irks me because I know it isn't a technical limitation, it's purely a marketing decision. Apparently, the app makers and device makers feel like most people will just blithely spend several hundred dollars every few years to buy the latest and greatest tablets, even though the ones they currently have are still in perfectly good working order and are fully capable of doing nearly everything the new ones can. The app update/incompatibility scenario is completely artificial and, IMHO, a cynical and quite transparent ploy to nudge people into upgrading their expensive devices far more often than necessary.

Many SW companies are moving to subscriptions for their products. So instead of being able to buy a copy of the program, you pay a monthly or yearly fee to use it. Of course, you get ongoing "updates" for "free", but many times the new features add little or no value for most users, IMO.

Ooh, completely agree with this one. HUGE pet peeve of mine. I have an older iPad and there have been several instances where an app refuses to load until it's updated to the latest version. But then, when I try to do that, it tells me the new version of the app isn't compatible with my device!

Agree. This is why I am happy to live in the past with only an old pay-as-you-go cell phone, no apps on it, wallowing in the bliss of simplicity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom