Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What Kind of Computer(s) do you have?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I just can't let go of Windows 95.
You need to get out of the stone age and keep up with changing techlology. Flying toasters are no longer state of the art. 8)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I found a sucker to buy my commodore 64, I now have a HP on the desk.
Nary a problem (knocking on wood with vigar)
A Dell on my lap.* And yes it is the son of the Dell made in hell.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #23

Desktop is an old but upgraded G4 Mac and wife has the first generation G4Powerbook. Wireless hookup which works well with visiting Macs & P Cs.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:41 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

C64
Mac SE
Mac G3 B&W
Homebrew PC XP 2400+
Homebrew PC A64 3200+

and some other clunkers in the closet.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
C64
Mac SE
Mac G3 B&W
Homebrew PC XP 2400+
Homebrew PC A64 3200+

and some other clunkers in the closet.
Well, okay, there's also a circa 1985 MacPlus and an original iMac in the attic. Technically I still have them.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:52 AM   #26

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
Well, okay, there's also a circa 1985 MacPlus and an original iMac in the attic.* Technically I still have them.*
I want a Mac128k so that I can dremel the case, and stick those lovely sigs on the wall.

I plan on getting the SE up as a web server one of these days Supposedly there is a TCP/IP stack written for the C64, and I would love to get that sucker online too.... maybe the C64 could serve up the html, and the MacSE could host the images? It does have a 20MB HDD....
Old 12-21-2005, 03:06 AM   #27

Mac G4 with bells & whistles (from my old job)

Mac mini -- the cat's pajamas-- 6x6x2.5... Silent... Virus free.
So glad I never have to download bloated security patches, anti-spyware, anti-virus...

Funny how people complain Macs are more expensive and then calmly pay more than the difference in prophylactic software subscriptions!

Think different, guys!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Mac mini -- the cat's pajamas-- 6x6x2.5... Silent... Virus free.
So glad I never have to download bloated security patches, anti-spyware, anti-virus...
Mac Powerbook G4
Dell Inspiron 8100
Dell Latitude C600
Dell Desktop 2400

The Mac is always downloading security patches and software updates. The XP machines have automatic updates turned on as well, so they do the same thing. So ladelfina, have you turned off software updates on your Mac? At least with XP, I don't have to click on "I agree" all the time like with the Mac.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #29

Currently a four year old machine with AMD Athlon 1400 XP processor on a Asus motherboard with 160 Meg hard drive and a gig of ram. My new machine (under construction) is also AMD (SEMPRON 2500 on a cheap motherboard, this may change) with a gig of ram and two 160 gig SATA drives.
Also have an old DEC with SCSI drives running linux for when I feel like torturing myself.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #30

Built my own;* 3.2G P4, Asus motherboard, 2 gigs 800mhz ram, ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256mb video, Audigy 2 sound, Klipsch 4.1 speakers, 80mb ATA 133 7200 rpm drive, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930 SB 19" trinitron monitor, Plexi-glass see through/Aluminum case.* Internet connection is 3mbps Down/512 Up DSL Pro
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Brand new iMac G5 iSight and 12"iBook.

Unfortunately, I have to use a PC at work, but I try to stay Microsoft free at home.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #32

LOL, I've only gotten one system upgrade in recent memory (10.4 to 10.4.3). There are some other upgrades that have come down the pike.. mostly iTunes and iPod things that I don't pay much attention to. I don't have it download in the bkgd. but it does weekly checks. Maybe I just don't remember.. to me it's painless, anyway... I just remember DH doing patches upon patches upon patches with Windows.

OSX viruses = zero, anyway... People who use PCs in this day and age are obviously not all that interested in keeping their computer and data 100% safe.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Bill G.:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=828574

Quote:
When you run a virtual machine in Virtual PC for Mac, the operating system that is installed on the virtual machine may be vulnerable to attacks by Windows-based viruses if the virtual machine is configured to connect to the Internet directly through Virtual Switch networking. In Virtual Switch networking mode, the Windows operating system directly connects to the Internet. As a result, it may be vulnerable to attacks from Windows-based viruses and other malicious programs.

If the Windows operating system is connecting to the Internet by using Shared Networking, it is in fact connecting through the Macintosh operating system and the Macintosh networking connections. This type of connection can help protect your operating system from network-based virus attacks.
To summarize, according to Microsoft, the safest way to run Windows is on a Mac.* *8)
Old 12-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #33

Desktop Dell Dimension 2300 w/ P4 1.8 Ghz, 160 GB HD, 768 MB Ram
Laptop Inspiron 5100 w/ P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB Ram

Old Compaq 5364 (or something) P2 266 Mhz, 4 GB HD, 128 MB Ram. Currently not hooked up.

Wired 10/100 network with router and with cable modem internet. Laptop doubles as a Media Center, with S-Video TV output for all my downloaded TV watching enjoyment. Desktop is the server for all TV content.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #34

I have built a couple of homegrown PCs too in my time. *I found out that it was just easier and even many times cheaper to have Dell do it for me and they covered any defective parts too as well as providing less expensive software than I could buy on my own. *

My son built several of his computers and has a whole array of them including some special task units and a couple of Apples in the pile too. *He does a lot of digital film work and needs tons of computer power to do editing and 3-D rendering. *I guees those early years watching me tinker with computers without letting the magic smoke out paid off. *
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A homebuilt big tower box intel system I made up from fatwallet parts about 2 years ago. After rebates, coupons and other funny deals it cost me about $200 to build a system with an antec case and supply, 2.4GHz processor, 1GB of ram, all-in-wonder 9800 pro, dvd and cd burners and about a hundred USB and firewire ports. It pays to dig for bargains.

Supported on occasion by a raft of laptops from several generations.

All run windows XP. None crash or hang or do anything weird even though i've installed and removed about a thousand pieces of software on the main machine. With XP autoupdate and a vanilla virus product, i've never gotten a virus or worm and never had to manually apply any patches or other funny business. Still havent had to reinstall the OS although i'd bet if I did it'd boot a lot faster. Planning to wait until I build another machine before I go through all that app reinstallation hassle.

Granted, without a high speed internet connection I'd be pretty unhappy about the size of the product update downloads.

Computers have become commodities. It doesnt pay to fix one for the most part unless its really minor. Service almost universally sucks, so buy on features and price. Just dont buy TOO low or you'll get some cheap parts like power supplies that croak when you add a second hard drive.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1

Also have an old DEC with SCSI drives running linux for when I feel like torturing myself.
Thats not torture, thats a design feature :
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #37

I have the following machines:

IBM Thinkpad T42 laptop w/2 GB of RAM & standalone 19" LCD (work machine)
Compaq Sempron 1.8 Ghz w/512 of RAM & 17" CRT (bought last year for $249.99 w/free HP photo printer)
Dell Axim handheld PDA 524 Mhz w/1 GB of storage & bluetooth keyboard (in lieu of laptop)
Dell Latitude 500 Mhz w/256 MB of RAM
Pentium II 350 Mhz w/ 192 MB of RAM (that I haven't touched in a while)

Overall, I try not to buy computers very often.* My Pentium II 350 served me well for almost eight years before I upgraded to the Sempron machine.* I'd rather just upgrade RAM to a machine's maximum (and clean up the hard drive to delete crap I don't use) before buying a new one.* Even then, I'd consider only upgrading the box rather than the whole package.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
I want a Mac128k so that I can dremel the case, and stick those lovely sigs on the wall.

I plan on getting the SE up as a web server one of these days Supposedly there is a TCP/IP stack written for the C64, and I would love to get that sucker online too.... maybe the C64 could serve up the html, and the MacSE could host the images? It does have a 20MB HDD....
What does all that mean? I bought a Mac so all I had to do was turn it on.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #39

I have yet to purchase my own PC, since my former employer supplied me with laptops over the last 8 years.
As a consolation prize for laying me off, (praise the lord) they let me keep my Dell Latitude 640 which is almost 3 years old (still under warrantee). It still serves me well.

MJ
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been thinking about buying myself an iMac G5 for Christmas. If anyone has one, could you tell me if it's quiet? I've read that the Mac Mini is virtually silent but I'm not so sure about the G5. I'm now using an old Dell pc which I can hear in the other room even with the door closed. So I guess I'm looking for eye candy plus silence.