What Kind of Computer(s) do you have?

kat said:
Well, okay, there's also a circa 1985 MacPlus and an original iMac in the attic.  Technically I still have them.  :)

I want a Mac128k so that I can dremel the case, and stick those lovely sigs on the wall.

I plan on getting the SE up as a web server one of these days :) Supposedly there is a TCP/IP stack written for the C64, and I would love to get that sucker online too.... maybe the C64 could serve up the html, and the MacSE could host the images? It does have a 20MB HDD.... :)

Mac G4 with bells & whistles (from my old job)

Mac mini -- the cat's pajamas-- 6x6x2.5... Silent... Virus free.
So glad I never have to download bloated security patches, anti-spyware, anti-virus...

Funny how people complain Macs are more expensive and then calmly pay more than the difference in prophylactic software subscriptions!

Think different, guys!

ladelfina said:
Mac mini -- the cat's pajamas-- 6x6x2.5... Silent... Virus free.
So glad I never have to download bloated security patches, anti-spyware, anti-virus...

Mac Powerbook G4
Dell Inspiron 8100
Dell Latitude C600
Dell Desktop 2400

The Mac is always downloading security patches and software updates. The XP machines have automatic updates turned on as well, so they do the same thing. So ladelfina, have you turned off software updates on your Mac? At least with XP, I don't have to click on "I agree" all the time like with the Mac.

Currently a four year old machine with AMD Athlon 1400 XP processor on a Asus motherboard with 160 Meg hard drive and a gig of ram. My new machine (under construction) is also AMD (SEMPRON 2500 on a cheap motherboard, this may change) with a gig of ram and two 160 gig SATA drives.
Also have an old DEC with SCSI drives running linux for when I feel like torturing myself.

Built my own;  3.2G P4, Asus motherboard, 2 gigs 800mhz ram, ATI Radeon X850 XT PE 256mb video, Audigy 2 sound, Klipsch 4.1 speakers, 80mb ATA 133 7200 rpm drive, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930 SB 19" trinitron monitor, Plexi-glass see through/Aluminum case.  Internet connection is 3mbps Down/512 Up DSL Pro

Brand new iMac G5 iSight and 12"iBook.

Unfortunately, I have to use a PC at work, but I try to stay Microsoft free at home.

LOL, I've only gotten one system upgrade in recent memory (10.4 to 10.4.3). There are some other upgrades that have come down the pike.. mostly iTunes and iPod things that I don't pay much attention to. I don't have it download in the bkgd. but it does weekly checks. Maybe I just don't remember.. to me it's painless, anyway... I just remember DH doing patches upon patches upon patches with Windows.

OSX viruses = zero, anyway... People who use PCs in this day and age are obviously not all that interested in keeping their computer and data 100% safe.

If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Bill G.:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=828574

When you run a virtual machine in Virtual PC for Mac, the operating system that is installed on the virtual machine may be vulnerable to attacks by Windows-based viruses if the virtual machine is configured to connect to the Internet directly through Virtual Switch networking. In Virtual Switch networking mode, the Windows operating system directly connects to the Internet. As a result, it may be vulnerable to attacks from Windows-based viruses and other malicious programs.

If the Windows operating system is connecting to the Internet by using Shared Networking, it is in fact connecting through the Macintosh operating system and the Macintosh networking connections. This type of connection can help protect your operating system from network-based virus attacks.

To summarize, according to Microsoft, the safest way to run Windows is on a Mac.   8)

Desktop Dell Dimension 2300 w/ P4 1.8 Ghz, 160 GB HD, 768 MB Ram
Laptop Inspiron 5100 w/ P4 2.4 Ghz, 512 MB Ram

Old Compaq 5364 (or something) P2 266 Mhz, 4 GB HD, 128 MB Ram. Currently not hooked up.

Wired 10/100 network with router and with cable modem internet. Laptop doubles as a Media Center, with S-Video TV output for all my downloaded TV watching enjoyment. Desktop is the server for all TV content.

I have built a couple of homegrown PCs too in my time.  I found out that it was just easier and even many times cheaper to have Dell do it for me and they covered any defective parts too as well as providing less expensive software than I could buy on my own.  

My son built several of his computers and has a whole array of them including some special task units and a couple of Apples in the pile too.  He does a lot of digital film work and needs tons of computer power to do editing and 3-D rendering.  I guees those early years watching me tinker with computers without letting the magic smoke out paid off.  :D

A homebuilt big tower box intel system I made up from fatwallet parts about 2 years ago. After rebates, coupons and other funny deals it cost me about $200 to build a system with an antec case and supply, 2.4GHz processor, 1GB of ram, all-in-wonder 9800 pro, dvd and cd burners and about a hundred USB and firewire ports. It pays to dig for bargains.

Supported on occasion by a raft of laptops from several generations.

All run windows XP. None crash or hang or do anything weird even though i've installed and removed about a thousand pieces of software on the main machine. With XP autoupdate and a vanilla virus product, i've never gotten a virus or worm and never had to manually apply any patches or other funny business. Still havent had to reinstall the OS although i'd bet if I did it'd boot a lot faster. Planning to wait until I build another machine before I go through all that app reinstallation hassle.

Granted, without a high speed internet connection I'd be pretty unhappy about the size of the product update downloads.

Computers have become commodities. It doesnt pay to fix one for the most part unless its really minor. Service almost universally sucks, so buy on features and price. Just dont buy TOO low or you'll get some cheap parts like power supplies that croak when you add a second hard drive.

I have the following machines:

IBM Thinkpad T42 laptop w/2 GB of RAM & standalone 19" LCD (work machine)
Compaq Sempron 1.8 Ghz w/512 of RAM & 17" CRT (bought last year for $249.99 w/free HP photo printer)
Dell Axim handheld PDA 524 Mhz w/1 GB of storage & bluetooth keyboard (in lieu of laptop)
Dell Latitude 500 Mhz w/256 MB of RAM
Pentium II 350 Mhz w/ 192 MB of RAM (that I haven't touched in a while)

Overall, I try not to buy computers very often.  My Pentium II 350 served me well for almost eight years before I upgraded to the Sempron machine.  I'd rather just upgrade RAM to a machine's maximum (and clean up the hard drive to delete crap I don't use) before buying a new one.  Even then, I'd consider only upgrading the box rather than the whole package.

Marshac said:
I want a Mac128k so that I can dremel the case, and stick those lovely sigs on the wall.

I plan on getting the SE up as a web server one of these days :) Supposedly there is a TCP/IP stack written for the C64, and I would love to get that sucker online too.... maybe the C64 could serve up the html, and the MacSE could host the images? It does have a 20MB HDD.... :)

What does all that mean? :confused: I bought a Mac so all I had to do was turn it on. ;)

I have yet to purchase my own PC, since my former employer supplied me with laptops over the last 8 years.
As a consolation prize for laying me off, (praise the lord) they let me keep my Dell Latitude 640 which is almost 3 years old (still under warrantee). It still serves me well.

MJ

I've been thinking about buying myself an iMac G5 for Christmas. If anyone has one, could you tell me if it's quiet? I've read that the Mac Mini is virtually silent but I'm not so sure about the G5. I'm now using an old Dell pc which I can hear in the other room even with the door closed. So I guess I'm looking for eye candy plus silence. :)

Yipee-Ki-O said:
I've been thinking about buying myself an iMac G5 for Christmas. If anyone has one, could you tell me if it's quiet? I've read that the Mac Mini is virtually silent but I'm not so sure about the G5. I'm now using an old Dell pc which I can hear in the other room even with the door closed. So I guess I'm looking for eye candy plus silence. :)

The Mac Mini is quiet, very quiet, I'm not sure about the G5.

:eek:First the Mac G5 is very quiet, the multi-speed fans are staged so that the only time I ever hear the G5 running is when I'm taxing the whole machine to the point that it needs to kick in some cooling to disipate the heat. Doesn't happen very often, maybe once or twice a month. Of course I do have the dual 2.0ghz processors, with 1 gb of ram, and the standard ATA drives. If I upgraded to add more memory, I might eliminate even the once or twice a month, don't know, maybe I'll try that later.
As to machines, and I'll only list the ones that I have in active use.
Mac G5 dual cpu 2.0 ghz (also run the emulation Windows XP software for some tax programs for my option trading)
G4 powerbook
G4 Mac with built in 15" lcd screen (round one that is white).
2.6 Ghz Dell 17" screen laptop
1.8 ghz rack mount running Windows XP
(3) 2.4 ghz rack mounts running Fedora Linux
2.6 ghz rack mount running Windows 2003 server
1.6 ghz running Suse Linux
Xbox game machine running hacked Linux
TIVO running hacked Linux
Fortunately I run out of time, or I might have more.

Should add that the two desktop Macs do the bulk of the day to day work, although the XP laptop is the one that I am forced to use for work.

Homemade desktop made out of parts the company was throwing out before I retired. I think it's a 750 pentium with 2 12G drives and who knows how much memory. Most of the parts said broken on them, but I find that to be accurate only about 30% of the time. I did buy a 2.2Ghz Fujitsu laptop to day trade on, but wouldn't recommend it because of noisey cooling fan that makes the TV hard to hear.

Back
Top Bottom