What you consider *superior* products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the video. Interesting to see food cooked with just the residual heat

Noticed the cooking method awhile back. Purchased two Hotpans at a discount from a large family-owned kitchen store that had been in business more than 25 years. The owners were retiring and closing the store.

Still have yet to give them a good test.

My thought was they might save some propane when we're boondocking in the RV. Or could take less battery power using our single-burner induction hotplate.

We shall see!

What I have found when RV'ing is that the propane used for cooking is not noticeable compared to what used by the fridge, or the water heater, and the furnace if you need heat.

The ability to start a meal and go do something else like hiking or go for a walk, then come back to a meal is more important.

About conserving propane, what I have done is to install a beefy 2kW pure sine wave inverter, then use it when I am driving to run the fridge which takes only 350W. The batteries get charged by the engine alternator when running, and the 350W load can be borne by the alternator without trouble. The mpg will decrease a minuscule amount, which is OK because getting gasoline is a lot easier than finding a place that sells propane.

The big inverter also allows me to use the microwave to warm food, and with a solar panel charging the batteries I do not have to run the generator that often.

Last edited:
My Mr. Coffee Mug Warmer.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-MWBLK-Mug-Warmer/dp/B000CO89T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444075406&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+coffee+mug+warmer
I enjoy my tea very warm and often times, before I get to the bottom of my cup, the tea is cold, and I don't want to drink it cold, so I have to make another cup. This warmer keeps the cup of tea very, very warm until you drink it all (The tea will start getting concentrated if you forget to take the cup off the warmer.) One requirement (if you want the tea on the hot side) is to use a camping mug like this with enamel coating.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Ounce-Enamelware-Coffee-Blue/dp/B0009PUR72/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1444075474&sr=1-2&keywords=camping+mug
Tea was only luke warm with regular ceramic cups so I had to get the metal cup above and I have been happy. I have had this warmer for 2 years and it still works like the day I purchased it.

Corona Light (with or w/o lime)

Most anything sold as refurbished.

In that vein I just bought an 18" Pro version of my happy homeowner chain saw for $109.90 delivered to my doorstep a half hour ago by FedEx, which I ordered yesterday. It is now assembled and ready for some cuts when the rain stops. Or tomorrow, or.....

The last one a 16" happy homeowner version Poulan lasted 3 years of fairly heavy use, the ignition coil crapped out. It was $116 plus tax when new. The replacement coil which I ordered a week ago is still in the mail... somewhere outside of Duluth.

Most anything sold as refurbished.

In that vein I just bought an 18" Pro version of my happy homeowner chain saw for $109.90 delivered to my doorstep a half hour ago by FedEx, which I ordered yesterday. It is now assembled and ready for some cuts when the rain stops. Or tomorrow, or.....

The last one a 16" happy homeowner version Poulan lasted 3 years of fairly heavy use, the ignition coil crapped out. It was $116 plus tax when new. The replacement coil which I ordered a week ago is still in the mail... somewhere outside of Duluth.

Agreed on refurbished tools. I buy power tools from CPO Outlets and everything I have bought (hammer drill, power driver, etc) has been top notch:

CPO Outlets | New and Reconditioned Power Tools, Pressure Washers, Tankless Water Heaters, Vacuums, Ceiling Fans, and more!

My last purchase:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...=clearance&prefn1=brand&prefv1=Black & Decker

Last edited:
Dyson vacuum cleaners.
We have both an upright and a cordless handheld, both bought refurbished.
Mind-bogglingly effective and easy to use.

Dyson vacuum cleaners.
We have both an upright and a cordless handheld, both bought refurbished.
Mind-bogglingly effective and easy to use.

Which model upright do you have?

Electric pressure cooker

This merits being added to the list based on early performance. There are other sizes and other brands that can be had elsewhere, but we got this one from Costco - so that if it ever does not work, it can be returned.

Cuisinart® Electric Pressure Cooker

This merits being added to the list based on early performance. There are other sizes and other brands that can be had elsewhere, but we got this one from Costco - so that if it ever does not work, it can be returned.

Cuisinart® Electric Pressure Cooker
That looks like a great price. I own an Emeril myself - I have add it for a couple of years, and I use it almost every week - An electric pressure cooker has been such an great investment for me. I love making beef soup in it, Also boil eggs (easy peel medium boiled eggs in 6 minutes). Pulled pork, chicken stew, ribs, etc, etc. Anything that takes a while to cook - I use my electric pressure cooker for. I should probably donate my slow cooker since I haven't used it since I got my electric pressure cooker...

We have an Inatant Pot. We have use it for about a year. It is a super product for quick meals!
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447808178&sr=8-1&keywords=instant+pot+7+in+1

817Om0cdRLL._SL1500_.jpg

Our iPhones, iPad and Toyotas are the first things that pop into my mind. All have been workhorses and pleasures to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is really easy to use. Use it mostly as a pressure cooker with the presets on the left side. I have not used Rice, Multi grain, Porridge, or Steam. Used Lsow cook tonight. Never tried Yogurt. Have used Saute. Makes great stews and soups. You can put a frozen chicken in it with veggies, and 20 min later have homemade soup! Would have really been nice to have when DW and I were both w@rking!

Spectrum analyzers and signal generators by HP (now Agilent) and oscilloscopes by Tektronix.

+++1
Last month I sent a screenshot from a Fluke handheld oscilloscope to an equipment manufacturer and they wanted a clearer waveform. I dug out my trusty Tek scope (1990's era digital, not my ancient 504) and triggered on the signal immediately. Had to take a picture with my phone but they were impressed. Still run a couple HP bench power supplies that are 40+ years old and a Gould brush recorder, NASA used these on the Apollo missions. Vintage American gear was the best in the world in its day. These days I almost always use a laptop to troubleshoot :nonono:

A couple of things that come to mind. I use them every day.

Clever coffee dripper--best coffee ever; much superior to other pour over types. I even bring a small one with me, as well as a small electric hot pot, when I travel.

Miracle cloths for all purpose household cleaning. I get them in the automotive section of Target or Walmart, 10 or 12 at a time.

Those large Rubbermaid plastic storage boxes. They last forever, it seems. I keep my holiday stuff and other things stored and stacked in them in the basement--a neat, clean, dry system.

My favorite all purpose cooking pan--a LeAnn Chin wok pan that I was given as a gift years ago and still going strong. Does stir fry as well as all sorts of other things well. The size is perfect. Between this and two sizes of venerable Griswold cast iron pans--bought second hand at least 35 years ago-- I can do 99% of my cooking.

Oh, and the 25 year plus Kenmore washers and dryers that came with my "new to me" house. They are still working beautifully and do the job. I wanted to replace them but every thing I read keeps me from pulling the trigger on a new set. I understand, for example, that you have to get a "steam" washer to get truly hot water now--jacks up the price considerably. I guess it is best just to keep these chugging along until one or both of them dies. In short, I've come to appreciate them. . .

My R&B Wire 300G Deluxe Elevated Wire Frame Metal Laundry Cart. I bought it because my laundry room is pretty far from my master bedroom and closets. It is wonderful for wheeling laundry back and forth.

My cart also turned out to be invaluable for my move and for shuffling things to different rooms while unpacking, as seems to always be needed no matter how organized the move.

It's wonderful for unloading groceries and putting them away, too. It has been worth much more to me than its (IMO) exorbitant expense.

It is at least as sturdy as the metal carts at grocery stores, moves smoothly, silently, and effortlessly on its swivel wheels, and has bumpers so that it won't mar the walls or doorways if one hits them.

This was a really great purchase for me, since lugging insanely heavy, back-breaking, awkward baskets of laundry around my one story Dream House just isn't something I want as part of my exercise regimen.

Magic erasers.... have no idea how they work but they are amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Magic erasers.... have no idea how they work but they are amazing.

I agree. They've saved me a ton of scrubbing.

My answer: the cashmere sweaters I bought in the 1980s, the collection of Thierry Rabotin shoes I bought while I was still employed; my two pairs of boots (one Luchesse, one Justin). All good, classic styles that will last a very long time. I dread replacing them when they do wear out.

Oh, and the 25 year plus Kenmore washers and dryers that came with my "new to me" house. They are still working beautifully and do the job. I wanted to replace them but every thing I read keeps me from pulling the trigger on a new set. I understand, for example, that you have to get a "steam" washer to get truly hot water now--jacks up the price considerably. I guess it is best just to keep these chugging along until one or both of them dies. In short, I've come to appreciate them. . .

+1 Bought the Kenmore washer/dryer 18 years ago when I moved into the new house and still working great. Only issue I've had is the fabric softener dispenser in the washing machine clogged up after years of use but that was an easy fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom