Where online to buy new computer?

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am thinking about replacing my laptop. Have always bought through Dell, but think it may be time to look elsewhere also. Prefer buying online than going to a store.

Do not wany an Apple product (not compatible with all my hardware, software etc).

I do like to specify what features I want and what software will- or will not_ be installed. Any suggestions of reliable vendors to shop?

I found the best deal on my Lenovo .yoga.ideapad was to go straight to Lenovo. I was surprised by that. Best buys looked like they had them beat on the same machine but then I noticed the difference in the ram memory....tricky best buys sells what looks like the same but is not.

Anyway really like my new Yoga, my ipad and desktop machine just sit now.

I'd start my search at Best Buy just because they have a decent selection (in our neck of the woods anyway). May be just me, but I'd probably never buy a computer sight unseen. And I couldn't look at brick-n-mortar stores and then buy online (showrooming, not fair to brick-n-mortars IMO), brick-n-mortars seem to be willing/able to compete with online these days anyway (necessarily).

I've also had nothing but Dell PC/laptops for many years, but may look at other brands next time (incl Apple).

Last edited:
I always bought Dell online, but my last one came from Best Buy. I needed one pronto so that is why I went there. Bought a Gateway laptop 3 years ago and so far.....so good.

I have good success with Costco as well. Costco also automatically doubles mfg guarantee and provides no cost support with English speaking personnel. AND best yet, if there is an issue there is never any hassle taking it back to their store even if you buy online. Their offerings also often include some bundled software at good values
Nwsteve

I bought my laptop at xoticpc.com because I wanted to have more options than you could get with people like companies like Dell and you could get more for your money from xoticpc.com.

If onsite service is important, then I have used Dell and Lenovo.

If you can find what you need at Costco, my experience is the same as others. I recommend them.

Every experience I have had with Costco has been good, but I order my computers thru Amazon because Costco does not carry the bottom-of-the-line models I prefer. My last few desktops/laptops/netbook/tablet have cost under $300 and all have worked perfectly out of the box.

Office supply stores like Staples periodically have suprising discounts on computers. I've seen name-brand laptops for about $300 there.

A lot depends on what you need - about a year ago I bought a laptop from Microcenter because they could move my old hard drive contents to the new one - and another from Costco. I don't go by brands too much any more. If you get a laptop, make sure it has enough RAM. They are harder to upgrade than desktops. But I love the size - and it acts as a second monitor for me (I also have a large separate monitor) - I've found that quite helpful. Prices are so reasonable now compared to 10 or 15 years ago. Yay!

Oh, also I trust Costco to provide a good product. Always. Which is sort of unheard of - let's see, a good product and an amazingly low price...

Tigerdirect often has good prices. Look carefully at specs. I would also suggest looking online to understand prices, then trying local brick and mortar. Reverse showrooming. For a laptop, the ability to exchange a dud at a local shop is worth something.

I like Tigerdirect. if you are looking for used, they also have a pretty good selection of refurbished systems. I got a refurbished monitor from them and it looked totally new.

Also things to consider about prices, if you belong to Amazon Prime, you can probably get free shipping and maybe no sales taxe (um...how you handle Use Tax is up to yourself ;-) ). If you go with a place like Tigerdirect and put it on your Discover card, you can order through Shopdiscover online as the portal and get 5% off the purchase.

The thing to consider is that for many people (perhaps not the OP), looking for a notebook (or desktop) is not just a matter of cost. That is, for some uses, there are significant differences in performance between the lowest cost computer and one that is more costly. Again, I realize this may not be true for most people. However, for example, for me I really want a very good video card, I want SSD, etc. So - know your needs and your wants. If you want a more powerful computer then probably buying online is going to be the most cost effective way to do it. However, even for powerful computers, there are ways to save money. When I bought a notebook a few months ago, I could have bought an Alienware from Dell. It was a nice notebook. However, I could go to a place like xoticpc.com and get a notebook that was just as good, and could be made more powerful and was much less money.

If you are looking for good prices, my last one was an Acer notebook from Walmart and I have been very pleased with it.

For all the bashing Dell gets I've been happy with mine.

Of course now that I said that it'll probably go up in smoke tomorrow....

I have good success with Costco as well. Costco also automatically doubles mfg guarantee and provides no cost support with English speaking personnel. AND best yet, if there is an issue there is never any hassle taking it back to their store even if you buy online. Their offerings also often include some bundled software at good values
Nwsteve
Based on the extended mfg warranty, I night try Costco next time. When I compared there in the past, the price for HP notebooks was usually a little higher.
My clients stick with Dell, and use the online ordering process. If it gets complicated you can always reach out to a real person.
For personal use I purchased a 17" HP notebook a few years back. It got me through grad school and now functions as internet link for TV.

Back
Top Bottom