Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Ducati Monster 620 Capirex gets me to and from w**k. No waiting for the ferry and first on/first off can't be beat. Also gets ~50mpg.
Excellent choice.

My BMW K1200LT got worse mileage than my Prius .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Red?

Frank loves Miatas, even though convertibles aren't especially practical in our rainy climate. I keep telling him that for guys, a red convertible Miata is the standard Midlife Crisis vehicle. I'm so BAD...

Actually I'm just envious, because I love them too. I would buy one except that I would feel like I was looking up SUV/pickup tailpipes all the time. My Solara is bad enough in that respect, already, these days when so many people seem to drive SUVs or pickups.
I have what they call a Montego Blue version http://www.miata.net/gallery/images/94montego.jpg.Yes they are a bit low but you hardly notice it once you get rolling. Check out the main Miata site The MX-5 Miata Pit Stop: MX-5 Miata.net
End of post hijack

Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

i've wanted a motorcycle ever since i read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence". I said read, not understood! As many posters have mentioned though, the dangers are just too great. I do remember seeing the aftermath of a fatal motorcycle-car collision; not pretty.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had a 50's Triumph 650 twin back in college and still have a nice collection of scars on my hand from going over the bars once after first getting it rolling. It was loud, leaked oil from everywhere - most of which ended up on the down pipes - and shook like a paintmixer at Home Depot. I'd end up at a stopsign next to a smooth quiet Honda and sit there with smoke rising around me, front bars hopping up and down, my rear totally numb from the after market seat i'd installed (think riding about 16" of 2x6). Stylin! Bought it with bent front forks and had the mistaken view that it would be a good dirt bike for the desert - bought Cerriani forks and a knobby for the rear to put under the steel bobtail fender. Plastic front fender to go with the old weathercracked tire. A narrow steel tank. First time i had the cojones to roll the throttle all the way open in 4th the shift lever rattled off as i passed a kid. Any way i rode the bike it was scary - if i was hunched over the bars i was looking at the garbage front tire bouncing up at my face - if i was slamming through the desert throwing my skinny self back to try and get the nose of that leadsled off the ground i was thinking about how the combination of knobby tire and steel fender chopped straight above the axle was liable to remove major parts of important anatomy if things went wrong. After some on road close calls i used to have bad dreams about bread trucks pulling in front of me - result was i'd grab clutch and brake in my sleep and, uhm, startle my bedpartner. Bike was stolen and run out of oil and that was the end of bikes for me. Dang. now i'm wondering...

Oh! and for those who know: Whitworth!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I also am not retired yet but enjoy the therapy offered by an afternoon ride on my 2006 Kawasaki Concours - last year before they changed it. It took a while to get used to it but I like it more everytime I ride.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My former supervisor retired in Aug. '03 at age 61 and bought a Harley and went on the 100th anniversary "Ride Home" and got a new tattoo. (He had owned motorcycles in his 20s.)

He works part time in the spring doing taxes to afford motor cycle trips the rest of the year.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I would love to find another 72 SL 350 to ride to the beach after I retire.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a Kawasaki 750 back in the 70s. It was fun, until we had our accident. Luckily, it was a minor accident, but it still hurt. I have not been on one since.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

I own a Honda 2002 VTX 1800 cc cruiser that I have put add on's to make it a comfortable touring bike.
Last year i traveled from Vermont to Florida, toured Fla. and then rode it all the way home to norhtern Vermot. Over 4000 miles and i am ready to go again.
58 and still riding.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #30

Yamaha FJR rider here, have taken it to Key West and up the NC outer banks last year. I ride almost anytime I get a chance to.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Had a 50's Triumph 650 twin back in college.................
Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure had torque, though.

Given the state of English cars at the time, me thinks English engineers in that era must have been incredible optimists .
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure has torque, though.

Given the state of English cars at the time, me thinks English engineers in that era must have been incredible optimists .
Those bikes were great, if you liked to push bikes.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a 2001 Goldwing when I retired but that was totaled in an accident in 2005. In 2006 I bought a new 2006 Goldwing and toured all of the lower 48 States that year. Last year I bought a second bike... 2007 Buell Ulysses with hard bags, top case and a larger windscreen. I put 14000 miles on the Buell last year and 6000 on the Goldwing. Planning to ride up to Alaska this year in June with the Buell... about 8400 miles round trip.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Brings back fond memories of my older brother's Norton 750 Commando. What a beast. It would backfire and just about break your leg on the kick starter. Leaked oil everywhere and the incredible vibration even backed out bolts with Loctite. Front brake was single leading and not remotely up to the job. Wonderful Lucas ignition system required it to be push started in damp weather. Sure has torque, though.

Mine ran mostly, but it had a bit of arcane electrical gear called a Zener diode in the charging system that threw me. ended up wiring around it and running the lights from the battery, charging the battery at home every few days. Which worked about as well as one would expect. Remember riding home late more than once having the headlight go to a dim yellow glow. Also remember going into a corner and whacking the headlight as the vibration caused it to swivel up to point at the stars. Good to have young eyes, clear skies, and lotsa luck! Great bike - more soul than the 250?/350?cc Italian Harley Davidson i had around the same time.