Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Why do some old men wear their pants so high?..........
Old 09-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I doubt it is him. I dont think the Rhein has very good trout fishing?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #22

Nope not me! - In fact I've never know anyone to be named Cutthroat. - Strange indeed
Old 09-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Nope not me! - In fact I've never know anyone to be named Cutthroat. - Strange indeed
Sorry I changed the name to Cutthroat Geffken sounded more german than guido. Was that a bad thing?
"Everyone accepts each other the way they are," says Ms. Geffken's husband, Guido. "If someone showed up in a fur hat and nothing else, nobody would bat an eye."
Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #24

How about this as a possible answer?

As people age they become shorter. The compression of the spine and other joints lessens the distance from the crotch to the rib cage so what fits a younger man will be too long in the crotch for an older one. The end result is to have the pants worn low resulting in a very baggy crotch and difficulty walking or hike up the pants to where the crotch is not in the way of walking.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Makes sense to me.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
My guess is that men buy the same size clothes as the get older. Unfortunatly, we get shorter as we get older.* So, if I wear a 32" waiste X 32" leg when I'm 30 I will probably think a 32" leg is my size.* When I'm 85 my pants should be shorter than a 32".*

I pull my pant up so I don't trip over my pants cuff!

We are too vain to admit we have srunk.
T.S. Eliot observed this same anatomical problem, but approached it a different way. In the "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", he says:

I grow old...I grow old...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

There is more, but it gets a bit dark for this forum.

Ha
Old 09-23-2005, 06:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
T.S. Eliot observed this same anatomical problem, but approached it a different way. In the "Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", he says:

I grow old...I grow old...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

There is more, but it gets a bit dark for this forum.

Ha
The Crash Test Dummies refer to T. S. Eliot in their music, some of which
is also "a bit dark for this forum".

JG
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien

"Everyone accepts each other the way they are," says Ms. Geffken's husband, Guido. "If someone showed up in a fur hat and nothing else, nobody would bat an eye." DanTien :
Dan, too late, the damage is done.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your diaper fits better when you wear your pants high.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #30

Has anyone notice that no females have responded to this thread so far?

I'm a skirt, by the way...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Dan, too late, the damage is done.
I hope I don't have an Angry Trout on my hands.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #32

Quote:
I hope I don't have an Angry Trout on my hands.

Big fish! What is it?

JG
Old 09-24-2005, 08:57 AM   #33

Big fish! What is it?

JG

Northwestern Ontario's Lake Nipigon.
Within it lurk huge lake trout, many weighing more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg). There are stories of trout topping 70 pounds (31.8 kg), caught by commercial fishermen, circulating among anglers. Its waters have been famous since Dr. W.J. Cook caught the 14.5-pound (6.57 kg) world-record brook trout from the Nipigon River on July 21, 1916.
Rob Swainson, area fisheries biologist, said that Nipigon lake trout are some of the fastest growing in Ontario. An 18-pounder (8.17 kg) can be as young as 12 years of age. The introduction of smelt into the lake, first detected in 1976, might account for the substantial growth rates. There are other factors. Unlike Lake Superior to the south, where sea lamprey inflict heavy casualties on lake trout, Lake Nipigon remains free of these parasites. Trout there grow quickly and have the potential to live longer.

The best lake trout fishing occurs during June, July, and August. September can produce huge trout, but the weather can be unpredictable. Nipigon is a nasty lake when the weather makes her angry. Trust me, you don't want to test her fury. I try to pick calm days and wait out bad weather.

During summer, Nipigon's lake trout suspend near or below the thermocline and relate to forage. They're near reefs, humps, banks, island points, dropoffs, feeding shelves and flats, and suspended over open water. As surface water warms, downrigging becomes the presentation technique of choice. It gives you the option of fishing deep water and fighting huge trout on relatively light equipment. Big lakers can take more than 30 minutes to land, and they make several sizzling runs when they see the boat.
An average Nipigon lake trout weighs 12- to 15 pounds (5.5 to 6.8 kg).

http://www.mysticcharters.com/
Old 09-24-2005, 09:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Big fish!* What is it?

JG

Northwestern Ontario's Lake Nipigon.
Within it lurk huge lake trout, many weighing more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg). There are stories of trout topping 70 pounds (31.8 kg), caught by commercial fishermen, circulating among anglers. Its waters have been famous since Dr. W.J. Cook caught the 14.5-pound (6.57 kg) world-record brook trout from the Nipigon River on July 21, 1916.
Rob Swainson, area fisheries biologist, said that Nipigon lake trout are some of the fastest growing in Ontario. An 18-pounder (8.17 kg) can be as young as 12 years of age. The introduction of smelt into the lake, first detected in 1976, might account for the substantial growth rates. There are other factors. Unlike Lake Superior to the south, where sea lamprey inflict heavy casualties on lake trout, Lake Nipigon remains free of these parasites. Trout there grow quickly and have the potential to live longer.

The best lake trout fishing occurs during June, July, and August. September can produce huge trout, but the weather can be unpredictable. Nipigon is a nasty lake when the weather makes her angry. Trust me, you don't want to test her fury. I try to pick calm days and wait out bad weather.

During summer, Nipigon's lake trout suspend near or below the thermocline and relate to forage. They're near reefs, humps, banks, island points, dropoffs, feeding shelves and flats, and suspended over open water. As surface water warms, downrigging becomes the presentation technique of choice. It gives you the option of fishing deep water and fighting huge trout on relatively light equipment. Big lakers can take more than 30 minutes to land, and they make several sizzling runs when they see the boat.
An average Nipigon lake trout weighs 12- to 15 pounds (5.5 to 6.8 kg).

http://www.mysticcharters.com/
Thanks. One of the few fresh water fish I have never fished for.

JG
Old 09-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #35

The belting of pants is a serious topic. Belting generally requires an indention of the body. The body has natural indents below and above the belly (beer gut). No man has ever had an indent near the centerline of the beer gut. Hence, you either hitch-em up below or above said gut. Older (blue haired) ladies prefer a man with a high hitch, so I'm told.

This post may contain language unsuitable for the young. Please exercise caution when reading.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
I'm a skirt, by the way...
I didn't observe this phenomenon on our cruise ship because almost everyone was in shorts or swimwear. *But old geezers & Speedos is a topic for another time & place.

I hardly ever wear pants either. *But when I do, my belt rides on the bone lumps that stick out of the edge of my pelvis. Apparently the key is to keep one's belly from protruding outside those lumps... although I'm not certain where to find blue-haired ladies for further research.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #37

Florida
Old 09-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
But old geezers & Speedos is a topic for another time & place.
Now that is gross. Yuck.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Someone ask Lee Iacocca. In that last commercial he did, they were so far up he could have used his pants for a hat.

As far as the skirt comment goes, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that i'm quite pleased that women dont start wearing their skirts higher up as they go into their 60's and higher.

There some joke out there involving antarctica and knowing its down there but not really wanting to talk about it anymore, but I cant completely recall it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #40

Not sure the reason for *this, but there seems to be some carry-over into other areas for the "high water guys"

My brother-in-law for instance.(By marriage).

My sister-in-law, a couple of years ago, was beside herself trying to figure out how to get him out of the house. *I suggested a set of golf clubs.

We live about 600 miles away, and last summer they spent a week with us, and he wanted me to take him out for a round of golf.

The golf went about the way I figured it would. Every swing was an aw -hit, followed by an apology, and lots of down time looking for his ball in the woods. *

When we got back, sat on the deck with a few beers, and he continued apologizing for his golf game. *

He showed up on the first tee wearing plaid shorts, black socks, and brown shoes. *I resisted the temptation to say, "forget the golf part, you owe me an apology for all the brother-in-law cracks I'm going to hear from some of the clowns that I play with on a regular basis". *(We played on my home course).

Before they left, I suggested he take a few lessons from a golf pro and spend a lot of time on the driving range, and he'd eventually enjoy the game a lot more.

I sent him an E-mail about a week ago, asking about his progress.

His answer: *"I've given up on golf, but we're thinking of coming up the latter part of October,
and maybe you could teach me how to "fly-fish".

Anybody on the board that may be interested in a home in the No.Calif. Sierras, I wll let you have it cheap, as long as we close escrow by the 15th. of October

Jarhead