Will walk dog for lodging?

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
Maybe this belongs in the travel forum, I dunno

So my wife and I are always throwing the idea around of doing the whole vagabonding thing... maybe three months, maybe six months backpack thru Asia or South/Central America. It would be a sabbatical from work

The problem (which is really a blessing, just a problem in this context) is we have one dog and two cats that are perfectly healthy. There is no way we're boarding them for that long, have no relatives/friends we'd impose on for that long, and it's prohibitively expensive to have a pet watching service come.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard of a service that matches up people who are willing to watch pets/plants in exchange for living somewhere for free for a set amount of time? I think it would be a great deal for someone else they get a furnished townhouse that would probably cost $1000/month to rent for free in exchange for maybe an hour per day of pet related duties. The whole trust thing is an issue of course so a licensed/bonded service would be best.

Is there some great flaw in this thinking to where a service like this doesn't exist or have I just been unable to find it?

I must be searching on the wrong words I didn't find either one of those. Thanks comrades. :greetings10:

Maybe this belongs in the travel forum, I dunno

So my wife and I are always throwing the idea around of doing the whole vagabonding thing... maybe three months, maybe six months backpack thru Asia or South/Central America. It would be a sabbatical from work

The problem (which is really a blessing, just a problem in this context) is we have one dog and two cats that are perfectly healthy. There is no way we're boarding them for that long, have no relatives/friends we'd impose on for that long, and it's prohibitively expensive to have a pet watching service come.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard of a service that matches up people who are willing to watch pets/plants in exchange for living somewhere for free for a set amount of time? I think it would be a great deal for someone else they get a furnished townhouse that would probably cost $1000/month to rent for free in exchange for maybe an hour per day of pet related duties. The whole trust thing is an issue of course so a licensed/bonded service would be best.

Is there some great flaw in this thinking to where a service like this doesn't exist or have I just been unable to find it?

I think this is a great idea! In fact, I just stole it, and sent a letter to Hugh Hefner, offering to provide a "few hours of pet-related duties" in exchange for being able to stay at the Playboy Mansion when he isn't around. :LOL:

I think this is a great idea! In fact, I just stole it, and sent a letter to Hugh Hefner, offering to provide a "few hours of pet-related duties" in exchange for being able to stay at the Playboy Mansion when he isn't around. :LOL:
Do you have any experience with the care and feeding of bunnies?

Do you live in a nice part of the country where I could winter? Can I bring my old dog or will it get chewed up?

I've used Housecarers.com to find someone to stay at our house last summer when we went to Mongolia. It was an excellent site and I received 2 dozen very good applications that I narrowed down with some difficulty.

The retired couple who stayed at our place were marvelous and perfect in every way. If you want more details on the experience--please ask! I am a fan and will use housecarers.com again for our next trip. And it is free for the homeowner.

Edited to add: I've talked about this service before, when we were planning the trip. I am too [-]lazy[/-] busy to find the thread but if you search on Housecarers it will probably come up in the ER forum search.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom