Join Early Retirement Today

Will walk dog for lodging?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Will walk dog for lodging?

Maybe this belongs in the travel forum, I dunno

So my wife and I are always throwing the idea around of doing the whole vagabonding thing... maybe three months, maybe six months backpack thru Asia or South/Central America. It would be a sabbatical from work

The problem (which is really a blessing, just a problem in this context) is we have one dog and two cats that are perfectly healthy. There is no way we're boarding them for that long, have no relatives/friends we'd impose on for that long, and it's prohibitively expensive to have a pet watching service come.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard of a service that matches up people who are willing to watch pets/plants in exchange for living somewhere for free for a set amount of time? I think it would be a great deal for someone else they get a furnished townhouse that would probably cost $1000/month to rent for free in exchange for maybe an hour per day of pet related duties. The whole trust thing is an issue of course so a licensed/bonded service would be best.

Is there some great flaw in this thinking to where a service like this doesn't exist or have I just been unable to find it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

I don't know anything about it, but here's an example of one such service:

House Sitters & Sitting from Housecarers USA Australia Canada NZ UK worldwide .

(Not an endorsement, just the first thing I found on a search)

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #3

I've not seen a bonded service, but I would recommend posting an ad in Caretaker Gazette: WELCOME PAGE - The Caretaker Gazette - #1 Source for Caretaker Opportunities since 1983!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #4

I must be searching on the wrong words I didn't find either one of those. Thanks comrades.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Maybe this belongs in the travel forum, I dunno

So my wife and I are always throwing the idea around of doing the whole vagabonding thing... maybe three months, maybe six months backpack thru Asia or South/Central America. It would be a sabbatical from work

The problem (which is really a blessing, just a problem in this context) is we have one dog and two cats that are perfectly healthy. There is no way we're boarding them for that long, have no relatives/friends we'd impose on for that long, and it's prohibitively expensive to have a pet watching service come.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard of a service that matches up people who are willing to watch pets/plants in exchange for living somewhere for free for a set amount of time? I think it would be a great deal for someone else they get a furnished townhouse that would probably cost $1000/month to rent for free in exchange for maybe an hour per day of pet related duties. The whole trust thing is an issue of course so a licensed/bonded service would be best.

Is there some great flaw in this thinking to where a service like this doesn't exist or have I just been unable to find it?
I think this is a great idea! In fact, I just stole it, and sent a letter to Hugh Hefner, offering to provide a "few hours of pet-related duties" in exchange for being able to stay at the Playboy Mansion when he isn't around.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I think this is a great idea! In fact, I just stole it, and sent a letter to Hugh Hefner, offering to provide a "few hours of pet-related duties" in exchange for being able to stay at the Playboy Mansion when he isn't around.
Do you have any experience with the care and feeding of bunnies?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Do you have any experience with the care and feeding of bunnies?
Why, yes; yes I do.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Do you live in a nice part of the country where I could winter? Can I bring my old dog or will it get chewed up?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

I've used Housecarers.com to find someone to stay at our house last summer when we went to Mongolia. It was an excellent site and I received 2 dozen very good applications that I narrowed down with some difficulty.

The retired couple who stayed at our place were marvelous and perfect in every way. If you want more details on the experience--please ask! I am a fan and will use housecarers.com again for our next trip. And it is free for the homeowner.

Edited to add: I've talked about this service before, when we were planning the trip. I am too lazy busy to find the thread but if you search on Housecarers it will probably come up in the ER forum search.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #10

Thanks a lot Sarah in SC