Will we ever get rid of daylight savings time?

Yeah but you never have long days in Hawaii. If you want more daylight, spend summers in Alaska and summers in Patagonia. I like mornings light.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Not sure about advantages or disadvantages that may be more important, but I love getting back to real time.

I want two extra hours. And get rid of February altogether while they are at it.
OK, I understand now, one less month of winter, but does that mean they get one less month of summer in Australia? While we are at it, why don't we just make summer the same in both hemispheres? They could at least get some real snow in Melbourne in December.

Compromise. Move everybody east of the US geographic population mid-point back 1/2 hour and everybody west of it forward 1/2 hour. That averages out to no change.

During my entire career in the US auto industry we used the metric system. I think we got faked. :LOL:

For sure! When I worked with a UK engineer, he asked me why we used metric. I said, we thought you did! :facepalm:

I hate it. It's such a nuisance. Just pick an offset to GMT and stick with it.

Hate is a strong word, but I definitely don't like it. Makes no sense to me. Enjoyed 25 years of non DLST in Indiana until so many bordering states shamed us into changing. Even smart people I knew were confused by us.

I do not want to eliminate daylight savings time... I want to make it permanent for the full year!
That was tried in about 1972 or 1973 when Nixon was President. The result was a rash of school kids getting hit by cars while they were waiting in the dark for the school bus.

Personally I would like to get rid of it. With DST in place it doesn't get dark here until after 11pm in June and July. We only have truly dark skies for 4 hours or less then.

Wow all this whining.

Back in my Great Grandfather Wozzy's day there were something like 23 time zone in Indiana alone, each city the US and most of the world had its own time. To make it worse the score of each railroad had their own time, generally based on the headquarter of the railroad.

(Factoid I learned watching the PBS show How we got to now.)
I believe there was a productivity argument for daylight saving back in the the early 20th century, but I am not sure its still valid today.

When I was a kid the explanation was DST gave people more daylight hours for recreation after work.

Wow all this whining.

Back in my Great Grandfather Wozzy's day there were something like 23 time zone in Indiana alone, each city the US and most of the world had its own time. To make it worse the score of each railroad had their own time, generally based on the headquarter of the railroad.

(Factoid I learned watching the PBS show How we got to now.)
I believe there was a productivity argument for daylight saving back in the the early 20th century, but I am not sure its still valid today.

Right, and everyone having their own local time made perfect sense back when travel was slow. Wherever you were, 12:00 was 'noon' it's very natural being based on natural phenomena (high noon - the sun reaching its highest point).

But then along came technology (fast travel via rail), and that changed things. The railroads saw how cumbersome these local times were, and pushed for time zones. That helped.

And now, more technology has come along (instant communication world-wide available to the masses), which makes times zones cumbersome, and we should make the next technological advance to UTC.

DST is stupid anyway you look at it. 'Saving Daylight'? Where do they put it? And I can never recall if DST is in effect in Summer or Winter, as it is nonsensical anyhow.

-ERD50

Right, and everyone having their own local time made perfect sense back when travel was slow. Wherever you were, 12:00 was 'noon' it's very natural being based on natural phenomena (high noon - the sun reaching its highest point).

But then along came technology (fast travel via rail), and that changed things. The railroads saw how cumbersome these local times were, and pushed for time zones. That helped.

And now, more technology has come along (instant communication world-wide available to the masses), which makes times zones cumbersome, and we should make the next technological advance to UTC.

DST is stupid anyway you look at it. 'Saving Daylight'? Where do they put it? And I can never recall if DST is in effect in Summer or Winter, as it is nonsensical anyhow.

-ERD50

+1

Soon enough we will each have our own personal and individual time zone. We will also have an Apple or Google device, probably implanted but possibly tattooed, that connects with all other devices to sync. Geographic time zone will be seen as a ancient relic. No more time zone issues.

Microsoft will also announce a personal sync device, but it will be late to market and won't sell many, the color scheme will be ugly, and it will need to be rebooted constantly, leading to all kinds of calendar conflicts.

In the internet age, it seems like time zones in general have outlived their usefulness. How about just using GMT for everywhere in the world!! :biggrin:

During my entire career in the US auto industry we used the metric system. I think we got faked. :LOL:

Spent 15 yrs in Indianapolis which was on Eastern Standard Time year round...it was great. Definitely the most rational thing to do is not change the clocks. Problem was our home office in Detroit and customers on the East Coast could never figure out how to handle the fact that we never changed time.....so it was better to be wrong along with everyone else rather than do the rational thing (e.g. not change the clocks). Since I moved away from Indy, they now switched to DST and it doesn't get dark in the summer till almost 10pm and I am jealous!

That was tried in about 1972 or 1973 when Nixon was President. The result was a rash of school kids getting hit by cars while they were waiting in the dark for the school bus.

This is the major reason why there is still support in the Northeast.

Spent 15 yrs in Indianapolis which was on Eastern Standard Time year round...it was great. Definitely the most rational thing to do is not change the clocks. Problem was our home office in Detroit and customers on the East Coast could never figure out how to handle the fact that we never changed time.....so it was better to be wrong along with everyone else rather than do the rational thing (e.g. not change the clocks). Since I moved away from Indy, they now switched to DST and it doesn't get dark in the summer till almost 10pm and I am jealous!

When my ladyfriend and I went from NY to Louisville, Kentucky back in late June, we went via Indianapolis by train before driving to Louisville. Had Indy been an hour behind (not on DST) NY and Louisville, it would have been rather confusing and more inconvenient for us when we had a 3-hour layover in Indy while waiting for the rental car office to open early one Saturday morning. We would have had to wait 4 hours instead, then seen our ~2-hour drive magically become a 3-hour drive when we gave the hour back. It would have messed up our return trip, too, although because the train was 4 1/2 hours late I don't think it would have mattered a whole lot.

My ladyfriend's daughter lives in Radcliff (near Fort Knox) which is even closer to the time zone boundary but still within the Eastern Time Zone. I recall the sunsets not starting until after 9:30 PM so we didn't have really good fireworks displays until after 10 PM.

And I can never recall if DST is in effect in Summer or Winter, as it is nonsensical anyhow.

I remember it this way:
We're at steady state "Standard Time". Then we "spring forward" (to DST) and later "fall back" to the steady state "Standard Time".

Spring ... fall . . . .languages without so many words that each have several totally different meanings wouldn't have as many cool memory joggers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom