Will we ever get rid of daylight savings time?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hate it. It's such a nuisance. Just pick an offset to GMT and stick with it.

Fashion sense. I hate it. It's such a nuisance. Just pick an outfit and stick with it.

Right after we switch to the metric system

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Right after we switch to the metric system

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
During my entire career in the US auto industry we used the metric system. I think we got faked. :LOL:

In the Midwest, the corn crop is significantly larger with the extra hour if daylight. Without that extra hour, it has been proven that the corn and soybean crops would be ~6.5% smaller, and could pose a potential food shortage, especially with animal feeds.

Cows also give more milk, and chickens lay an additional egg every two weeks, which in the long run, is very significant.

So, Daylight savings time is here to stay.

I live in the Philippines and just realized that DST was now in effect when I discovered the market was not open yet (now we are 13 hours ahead of New York instead of 12 hours). Yes, I agree, DST is an antiquated system that causes all sorts of hidden economic losses and inconveniences. But I don't know of a movement to eliminate it. After all, we are still using pennies and a non-metric measurement system . . .

I do not want to eliminate daylight savings time... I want to make it permanent for the full year!

In the Midwest, the corn crop is significantly larger with the extra hour if daylight. Without that extra hour, it has been proven that the corn and soybean crops would be ~6.5% smaller, and could pose a potential food shortage, especially with animal feeds.

Cows also give more milk, and chickens lay an additional egg every two weeks, which in the long run, is very significant.

So, Daylight savings time is here to stay.

This is a joke right?

I'd like to see the end of DST. Arizona is just fine without it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I do not want to eliminate daylight savings time... I want to make it permanent for the full year!

I wouldn't mind seeing it go into effect for the full year, as well. I suffer a bit from the sunlight deprivation disorder or whatever they call it. Our earliest sunset around here is 4:45 pm, from around November 30-December 13. I think I'd like 5:45 pm a bit better.

The downside of that, I guess, is having it be so dark in the morning. Personally, I don't mind that...when I'm up before the sun, it feels like I'm getting a good head start on the day. But a lot of people don't like going to work in the dark. I think I'd rather go to work in the dark, than come home in it, though.

I live in the Central time zone and would like more sunshine hours every day, not just in the "summer." If we can put a man on the moon why can't we do that?

This is a joke right?

I certainly hope it is.

Of course without DST, I'd probably forget to change the batteries in my smoke detectors.

Last edited:
First World Problems ... IMHO

-gauss

Sometimes I'll go out to Ohio in June, and hit Cedar Point and Kings Island. I love being out in the western edge of the time zone that time of year. I think Kings Island waits until almost 10:00 to set off their fireworks. We're usually in line for the Beast, which I think is the longest wooden roller coaster in the world...or at least one of the longest. Awesome ride, in the dark!

Back at home in Maryland, it's usually fairly dark by 9:00 even on the longest days. So having the extra 45 mins of evening daylight is a nice treat.

Attachments

• geml.jpg
    geml.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 40
I wouldn't mind seeing it go into effect for the full year, as well. I suffer a bit from the sunlight deprivation disorder or whatever they call it. Our earliest sunset around here is 4:45 pm, from around November 30-December 13. I think I'd like 5:45 pm a bit better.

The downside of that, I guess, is having it be so dark in the morning. Personally, I don't mind that...when I'm up before the sun, it feels like I'm getting a good head start on the day. But a lot of people don't like going to work in the dark. I think I'd rather go to work in the dark, than come home in it, though.

+1
Change the clock year round! By by DST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I live in the Philippines and just realized that DST was now in effect when I discovered the market was not open yet (now we are 13 hours ahead of New York instead of 12 hours).
Brings back memories of working for a global company. For the first couple of days people around the world would be early or late to US based video or teleconferences because of the time change. A real PITA..

At one time, the state nearest me had in essence three times zones. One region followed EST, another followed CST, and until 2006 the rest of the (mostly farm) state did not observe DST at all. Making travel plans was "interesting"...we had lots of meeting times/flights botched.

Right now I hate DST since the switch costs me about 3 extra hours a week in work time (dealing with overseas sites that don't switch).

In 6 months I won't care as much...one more switch to go :D

Right now I hate DST since the switch costs me about 3 extra hours a week in work time (dealing with overseas sites that don't switch).

In 6 months I won't care as much...one more switch to go :D

DW likes it this year in that going off DST got her one hour closer to her Australian colleague.

I think the problem for many of us is the sudden shock of moving the clock an entire hour all at once.

If we could just sneak up on it, changing the clocks a couple of minutes a day over the course of a month ....

Back
Top Bottom