Windows 8

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Got the new computer yesterday....truly have to say for the first 30-60 minutes I was quite frustrated. I don't have a smart phone so have had very limited touch screen practice (my computer is not touch...didn't think I would use it....still don't). If you had asked me after 30 minutes, I would say I was getting rid of 8. After about an hour of stumbling around last night it started making more sense. I still think that I would probably have been better off with Windows 7.....but the desktop window on 8 is close enough to 7 that I will likely keep 8. I can see that some of the movements from screen to screen would be better with the touch screen. Who knows....with hind site maybe I would have gone with a touch screen.....certainly would have made using 8 on a laptop easier. Now that I have used it for a few hours....I don't think it is the kiss of death that some people think it is. Something that would have made it a LOT easier....somebody who had already used Windows 8 standing next to me.....would have saved me from using some very foul language and would have cut the confusion down to about 10 minutes.

Now that I have used it for a few hours....I don't think it is the kiss of death that some people think it is.

That is encouraging! I have never used it, and wondered how bad it really is. So, thanks for the report.

I've decided to get a touchscreen laptop when I migrate to Windows 8.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with Windows 8 but what I like about it is how fast it boots up and wakes up from hibernate/sleep mode, much faster than previous versions of Windows.

I kinda liked Win8 after playing with it in stores for about 45 minutes. I found it, including the touchscreen feature, pretty intuitive - but I've had an iPad for several years, which made when to use touchscreen (vs keyboard or trackpad) pretty natural for me. The only thing I couldn't figure out on my own was how to get back to the opening Win8 screen after drilling down into apps (going back repeatedly works but not productive), had to ask someone.

But I've posted my review before, and I realize that many current Win users have not taken to Win8 for various reasons...and why Win8.1 (or Win9?) is in the pipeline for release soon.

Last edited:
There is a little bit of a learning curve with Windows 8 but what I like about it is how fast it boots up and wakes up from hibernate/sleep mode, much faster than previous versions of Windows.

I think this is the strength of Windows 8 (and really the goal of an OS, how it works on the inside).

For those of you in Florida considering a new Windows 8 computer, the sales tax holiday for "school supplies" Aug 2-4 includes computers up to $750.

I've had a Windows 8 PC for about a month. The best thing for me, as others have mentioned, is the fast boot time. It doesn't rival my Chromebook but it is pretty damn fast.

I don't mind not booting to desktop as much as that is literally one click away, but a few things I can't stand:

1. No start button. I've mitigated this pain by pinning all my most used stuff along the bottom, so I'd say about 95% of the time I'm fine with one click to launch what I want.

2. Turning the computer off. In the settings section? Really? That is stupid, what the hell were they thinking. Have learned to alt-F4 on desktop.

3. No clock/calendar always visible. I was surprised at how much I miss this.

I didn't want to be bothered with learning Win 8 so when our new laptop arrived last week it came with Win 7. :)

a few things I can't stand:

2. Turning the computer off. In the settings section? Really? That is stupid, what the hell were they thinking. Have learned to alt-F4 on desktop.

I agree. Hiding the shut down in settings is really stupid. I "fixed" this for myself by adding a shutdown shortcut and a tile.

I didn't want to be bothered with learning Win 8 so when our new laptop arrived last week it came with Win 7. :)

My work PC, crashed Jan, 2013. I've used all of the windows operating systems up to windows 7 in my other laptops and pc's.

Figured I'd buy a new PC, with windows 8. New must be better.
After visiting numerous stores, and talking to different CSR's.
Came to this conclusion.
1. Unless you are used to a touchscreen tablet/smart phone, the learning
curve for windows 8 is a joke.
2. There is no "tutorial" built in, how to use window's 8
3. I had to ask, CSR, how do I find, any of the tools windows 7 have.

4. Before, when ever Microsoft upgraded the operation system, it was easy
to self learn.....windows 8...is totally different....
5 I lucked out, and found one store, that had some DELL laptops for sale
that still had windows 7. Paid more than I wanted to, but "no learning
curve"

was worth it.

6. One thought, if Windows 8 was so good, WHY IS MICROSFOFT ALREADY
DOING AN UPGRADE. ?

I absolutely hate Win8. I maintain a website for a living, so I'm pretty tech savvy, and I found it to be totally user UN-friendly. I downloaded Start8 and now I'm much happier with my new laptop. Whoever did the testing on this before release must have been drunk.

And the most ignorant feature of Win8 is that it doesn't support or allow Outlook as your email client. Who thought of that one? I had to download Windows Email Live, which I'm not very fond of.

Last edited:
I wonder if tablet users like Windows 8. I have learned from a google search to right click in the bottom right corner of the screen while in an application to open up options for that particular application (important things like starting a new game of solitaire); nothing in the corner to indicate this. MS must feel people prefer things not to be obvious.

My wife loves Win8 from her testing in the stores and wants it on her laptop - Me - I am happy where I am and will upgrade when I buy my next laptop - 4 or 5 years from now...

I agree. Hiding the shut down in settings is really stupid. I "fixed" this for myself by adding a shutdown shortcut and a tile.

I use the power button to shut down. It is not hidden and requires just 1 finger.

Having the shut down button under settings is just no big deal. It would be if this was something you did 100 times a day. It takes me an extra second to hit off now...I can live with that. I also still use my turn signal when driving (unlike what seems to be 50% of the drivers)....I don't understand why it is TOO much work to use a turn signal.

It took me maybe an hour to figure out the basic things I use on Windows 8. That first 30 minutes was really confusing (I do not have a smart phone or tablet). Now......just no big deal. I save time now on startups from sleep mode.....much much more time than having to use the turn off button....which I don't do....I just shut the lid at night, cranks right up in the morning in a couple of seconds.

Is 8 better? Damn if I know. I do think the main issue with its popularity problems are that people DO NOT LIKE CHANGE. It makes them feel stupid to learn something new (I know I sure felt stupid for most of an hour). For the majority of people, they just do not like change.....they have never liked change.....and likely, won't ever like change. Everybody seems to want the world to stay just the way they liked it.....about when they were 25 for me. But...that would have been 1982 and the people my age (55) would be looking back 30 years before that and wishing things could stay the same as they were back in 19??.......Look how much of an issue we are having with marriage, abortion, racism, woman's rights(oh my God...they have the vote!!)....things change, always have...hopefully always will. Off the soap box now....:greetings10:

And the most ignorant feature of Win8 is that it doesn't support or allow Outlook as your email client. Who thought of that one? I had to download Windows Email Live, which I'm not very fond of.

Outlook works fine on my Windows 8 laptop.

The arrogance of Microsoft is amazing. "We know what is best for you." They need some real competition, then >maybe< on the initial startup of Windoze Hate they'd give us some options.

___ "I want to see all the cool new things you guys in Redmond have dreamed up. I don't care if I have to re-learn how to do things. Thrill me!"

____ " Make Windows 8 look and operate as closely as possible to Windows 7. I want the improvements, but minimize the changes in how information is presented and how I do things. Teach me the new capabilities through smart on-screen prompts as I do things the old way. And use English words along with the cute, indecipherable icons."

Which Microsoft decided to call "charms." Really, charms? Was the marketing group made up of tweener girls?

Remember the 'ZUNE'? You could 'squirt' a song to another Zune owner. It just sounds wrong. Now 'charms'?

-ERD50

I remember when the Mac came out. People were bewildered by the idea of using a mouse. It isn't unexpected for people to resist or otherwise be dissatisfied when technology changes away from what they're familiar with. I personally struggled with the Modern UI in Windows 8, and still do to some extent, but it is simply lack of familiarity. Some things I'm doing in Windows 7 would be equally, or more so, strange, if I was familiar only with Windows 8.

Back
Top Bottom