You Are What You Post

It's helpful to have a few doppelgangers who share your name and have a similar Googlepresence.....

First, it pays to have a common name if you want to be discreet. My name is not that common.

I used to work for a small company. The last summer that I worked there, just before I went off to graduate school, which was about 10 years ago, I wrote a technical paper that was accepted at a conference. I was first author and my boss was second author. I wrote the whole paper, as in every word, did all the work described in the paper, and he proof read it. I also presented the paper at the conference.

That company still exists and the paper is on their web site. My old boss still runs the company. Only now, the paper posted on the web site has his name as the first author -- it has been posted this way for years. I don't really care. But when you search my name on google, this is one of the things that comes up. Worse, the paper was listed on my resume, and I am worried that someone will think that I am lying about my background when I claim to be first author. I was thinking of asking him to make the change (I am a little embarassed to ask) when I went looking for a job, but I have had the same job since I finished graduate school and it has not come up yet.

I do have a copy of the paper in the conference book at home that shows myself as first author.

Kramer

So I imagine any interviews I show up for, guys going to have a food product, plausibly a belgian waffle, oh his head and i'm supposed to sit there and pretend nothings happening.

Like that'll work.

Nords,

Excellent article. Thanks for posting it.

I just sent a copy of it to my teenage daughters.

Back
Top Bottom