You in 1905

Marshac said:
What would YOU have been?  :)
A clerk who married my (pregnant) girlfriend and at the age of 17 and survived WWI with disabling wounds. (Dad's an electrical engineer. I think that's close to "chartered engineer"?)

If that's the series that I remember, it was less about the life & times and more about the interpersonal dramas. PBS had a good thing going with 1900 House but they managed to ruin it with the personality conflicts of Frontier House, Colonial House, & Manor House...

They didn't have "coal miner" as a choice. But I've studied history enough to know the answer. If my father had been a coal miner 100 years ago, then that's what I would have been -- if I was lucky. I would not have gone to school and would probably have started working by age 9. My grandfather was working in the coal mines in Europe at age 9.

:-\

You live alone and have a private income

Ha ! Both my partner and I had the same outcome ! We would have never had to work !!!

Well, thanks a lot. I would have been better off 100 years ago ...

-helen

Interesting site...

...You have four children but two will be servants living with their employers and sending money back when they can

...You're killed on the beaches at Gallipoli in 1915 :(

Well - I can't believe "clergy" wasn't a choice!! Gosh - that would have been quite common in 1905.

However, since Dad was also a professor of theology I was at least able to select a choice.

At least I inherited a house and a private income. FI! But never married - sad. Am female - but actually serve in WWI and am awarded medals.

Wild!

Audrey

I couldnt find anything related to either of my dads careers either.

However, in that time frame I imagine I would have done exactly what my grandfather would have done. Pretty much everything. He delivered furniture and coal, painted homes for a long time, wrestled as the "masked avenger" (I am NOT making that up, I have photos), and when the family was really low on cash, he participated in what in those days amounted to the "tough man" competition. Go down to the bar and see if anyone wanted to fight for money, everyone throws a few bucks in and the last man standing heads home with the 'pot'.

A bit of a different world these days.

I also live alone on a private income. I liked these parts:

Marital Relations
The man from the parish you are engaged to is killed at war. You never marry which will set you apart from most of your contemporaries.

World War One
When World War One starts you join a women's auxiliary force and survive to be awarded a 1914 Star and a bronze Victory Medal.

I also live alone on a private income! I'm on the second to top rung of the ladder. My husband's said something about working on a temporary basis. He was on the bottom step. We never would have met in 1905. Thank goodness for the internet of the 21st century that brought us together.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
...and when the family was really low on cash, he participated in what in those days amounted to the "tough man" competition.  Go down to the bar and see if anyone wanted to fight for money, everyone throws a few bucks in and the last man standing heads home with the 'pot'.

Did your Grand-Dad hang his hat in Southie?

Ha

Lovely Waltham, Massachussetts.

He worked all over the new england area though. Could have been almost anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom