Your thoughts on shopping in Walmart these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two Walmart's less than 10 minutes away, in different directions.

I confess to finding myself in one or the other 2-4 times a week. Both appear to be clean, well stocked and well lit. I have found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Since they are so close, and I am retired, I tend to go on week days. I rarely have a lot to buy so I always use self checkout. MUCH faster.

I have found the pricing to be competitive with the best prices I can get on-line, and I can get it today. Or, if it is something they do not stock locally, I can order on line and have it shipped to the store for pick-up, at no cost, so who needs Amazon Prime?:D

Off topic, but we use ship to store frequently at Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowe's and even Bass Pro. No minimum, no annual payment, no cost.

I occasionally go to a Walmart Market for groceries. The regular Walmart I try to avoid and I certainly wouldn't go to one on a weekend. I can usually find what I need at Dollar General, Ace Hardware and other smaller stores.

I don't like Walmart and rarely shop there. A couple of nearby Targets are nice. If I pay a little more there it's worth it to avoid Walmart. Another case of YMMV.

I guess we are lucky. The nearest Walmart is well run and clean. I do go early because it gets crazy there later. Usually I don't have to wait long or at all in line. I try to buy everything I can there because they have fresh stuff and they do have great prices.

I use Amazon for most purchases of general merchandise.

I go to Walmart for specific things that are priced very low, like liquid chlorine for the pool and mulch in the spring. They have a drive-through set-up in the parking lot that is very convenient for stuff like mulch. I typically buy 20-30 bags every spring. If I go in the store for something, I've learned to park at automotive and that's where I check-out. I rarely go to Walmart for anything else and certainly would never browse there.

Recently our small neighborhood grocery store shut down. They were a small regional chain that you'd find in a lot of small towns in Texas. We really enjoyed shopping there for the last 15 years. So now I'm trying out the Walmart Neighborhood Market. It's the same small size, prices are better, and it's actually a bit closer to our house. So far, I'm impressed. The produce is very good quality. Employees are friendly and helpful. Meat is somewhat limited, especially seafood. But all the basics are there. I like the self check-out. Very fast and convenient. We recently started buying gas there as well as it's cheap and very convenient.

We still use Sprouts, Kroger, and Costco for specific food items. But the little Walmart Neighborhood Market might be our new go-to place for produce, meat, and other everyday basics.

I don't like to shop, so categorizing stores into like / dislike doesn't work, because I don't like any of them. :) So far, the store I've liked the least was Amazon Go. Way too antiseptic for me.

When I do need to buy stuff in person, I like Trader Joe.

A retail company out of control.
The sole means of controlling profits in retail stores, is, as has always been...
Payroll.
The square footage of the superstores is a self limiting disaster. Walmart had a choice of faster stock replenishment or more instock. Instead of choosing, they maintained the trucking network, and tried to save money by using greater instock initial stocking.

The number of SKU's is out of control... a management problem at the top, where infighting has replaced working together. This is obvious in most stores too, where the multi department nature of the organization is impossible to manage centrally. Where the average number of store employees, is 200+... very difficult to manage. Consider that 24/7 requires nearly three times as many workers, and accordingly 3 times as many in management.

Add to all of that, another change, taking place in the past year... higher pricing. Impossible to maintain profitability by raising prices, more items, and an unnecessary third round of costs based on clearance pricing.

The Pharmacy, while others have pointed out somewhat lower prices, has also been hit hard by sudden rise in OTC pricing. The payroll restrictions have also led to poorer service for prescription drugs.

An interesting point you may want to check on the next time you go to WM...
A sample of the kind of built in ignorance endemic in the highest management...
........................................................................................................

This is funny... There are some of us who still hold on to the enjoyment of a dry martini... Despite carrying 500+ wines (or so it seems), our Walmart does not sell Vermouth.... the necessary ingredient in this classic cocktail.
Despite talking to the Department (day) manager and later writing to the corporate office... our walmart has not stocked Dry Vermouth for 2 years. Obviously prompted by a failure to restock over two order periods, and having the item removed from the basic inventory for lack of sales. (No sales, no scanned items, no reorders...) and nobody who cares.
After going to our local Whole Foods Store, which DOES stock dry vermouth... and talking with the liquor department manager... he said... "Please don't tell Walmart... We own the Gin and Vermouth market, and the regular liquor customers who have left Walmart because of this.." Yeah.. no kidding.

Still.. with no KMart, and a nearly closed Mall... the WM parking lot is always full. An average or below average wage market area. No real competition. Still the people we talk too have given up on Walmart... Grocery has gone to Aldi's or upscale markets, and of course, the change over to Amazon. IMHO, even the WM attempt to challenge them, is about a year behind.

My two cents worth.:)

Last edited:
I think much of the issues with how nice a given store is has a lot to do with the neighborhoods, both the store location and the one, if it is different, that the store draws its employees from.

The closest Walmart market to me is one town over, in an area of homes that are $500k and up, with most new developments being at/near $1 million. I love this store, especially the reasonably priced and excellent produce. And all the employees are clean, as is the store, and efficient.

The next closest Walmart, is much larger and in the opposite direction, is in an area with lots of malls, both traditional and strip malls, plus many relatively low rent apartments nearby. It's only advantage for me is that it is better stocked with some of the cleaning supplies I prefer. The downsides are many, and include some rather frightening fellow customers, surly or indifferent clerks for the most part, you have to show your receipt as you leave, and one time while pushing my cart to my car I walked right through a domestic argument when the apparently former boyfriend/spouse/whatever of a very large woman drove up threatening her, her child, and the new boyfriend/spouse/whatever. No one was hurt, at least not while I hightailed it out of there as fast as my knees allowed.

I don't do standing in lines. If a business is "too busy" to take my money I'll spend it someplace else. While I may be retired that does not mean that my time has no value.

Too many businesses seem to forget that. I very much favor those few business that answer the telephone. In person. Not with a recording or a telephone maze. I really don't think that extending the simple courtesy of answering the telephone is too much to ask. Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming using the machine is to "give me better service". Gimme a break - it is to save your time at the expense of mine.

While I will occasionally order something online from Walmart I very rarely set foot in the store, and when I do my resolve hardens yet again to never go back. I think the last time I was physically in a Walmart was about two years ago and their poor service and long lines is the reason.

And get off my lawn....

I don't like Walmart and rarely shop there. A couple of nearby Targets are nice. If I pay a little more there it's worth it to avoid Walmart. Another case of YMMV.

Same here.

There are Walmart and Target stores surround the large Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream, New York (Long Island). Even though most of my shopping on the rare times I have to visit either store is during low-volume hours (11 AM weekdays), that Walmart is still a zoo. The parking lot, though large, is a PITA because its access is difficult. It's a mess inside and even the self-checkout is rarely uneventful (thank goodness I rarely buy more than a few items at one time). I once went to pick up something I had bought on line, so I avoided most of the store but still had to deal with the parking. Parking far away from the store helps, but not if the weather is harsh.

In contrast, Target is clean, spacious, not crowded, with self-checkouts that work well and aren't a PITA. Parking is better. I always try Target first and hope I don't have to try Walmart if Target doesn't have the item(s) I need. I don't mind if the prices are a little higher.

My ladyfriend prefers Walmart because of its low prices, and when I drive her there I can go into the mall and sit and read a book until she calls me. Of course, it's on a weekend when it's REALLY a zoo in there, and it takes her at least 90 minutes, often 2 hours or more to but all her stuff.

I guess we are lucky. The nearest Walmart is well run and clean. I do go early because it gets crazy there later. Usually I don't have to wait long or at all in line. I try to buy everything I can there because they have fresh stuff and they do have great prices.

+

I use Amazon for most purchases of general merchandise.

I go to Walmart for specific things that are priced very low, like liquid chlorine for the pool and mulch in the spring. They have a drive-through set-up in the parking lot that is very convenient for stuff like mulch. I typically buy 20-30 bags every spring. If I go in the store for something, I've learned to park at automotive and that's where I check-out. I rarely go to Walmart for anything else and certainly would never browse there.

Recently our small neighborhood grocery store shut down. They were a small regional chain that you'd find in a lot of small towns in Texas. We really enjoyed shopping there for the last 15 years. So now I'm trying out the Walmart Neighborhood Market. It's the same small size, prices are better, and it's actually a bit closer to our house. So far, I'm impressed. The produce is very good quality. Employees are friendly and helpful. Meat is somewhat limited, especially seafood. But all the basics are there. I like the self check-out. Very fast and convenient. We recently started buying gas there as well as it's cheap and very convenient.

We still use Sprouts, Kroger, and Costco for specific food items. But the little Walmart Neighborhood Market might be our new go-to place for produce, meat, and other everyday basics.

Wish we had one because that is what draws me back is the particular yogurt (apple pie) I buy and fresh produce like kale, etc that I can't get at Aldi.

A retail company out of control.
The sole means of controlling profits in retail stores, is, as has always been...
Payroll.
The square footage of the superstores is a self limiting disaster. Walmart had a choice of faster stock replenishment or more instock. Instead of choosing, they maintained the trucking network, and tried to save money by using greater instock initial stocking.

The number of SKU's is out of control... a management problem at the top, where infighting has replaced working together. This is obvious in most stores too, where the multi department nature of the organization is impossible to manage centrally. Where the average number of store employees, is 200+... very difficult to manage. Consider that 24/7 requires nearly three times as many workers, and accordingly 3 times as many in management.

Add to all of that, another change, taking place in the past year... higher pricing. Impossible to maintain profitability by raising prices, more items, and an unnecessary third round of costs based on clearance pricing.

The Pharmacy, while others have pointed out somewhat lower prices, has also been hit hard by sudden rise in OTC pricing. The payroll restrictions have also led to poorer service for prescription drugs.

An interesting point you may want to check on the next time you go to WM...
A sample of the kind of built in ignorance endemic in the highest management...
........................................................................................................

This is funny... There are some of us who still hold on to the enjoyment of a dry martini... Despite carrying 500+ wines (or so it seems), our Walmart does not sell Vermouth.... the necessary ingredient in this classic cocktail.
Despite talking to the Department (day) manager and later writing to the corporate office... our walmart has not stocked Dry Vermouth for 2 years. Obviously prompted by a failure to restock over two order periods, and having the item removed from the basic inventory for lack of sales. (No sales, no scanned items, no reorders...) and nobody who cares.
After going to our local Whole Foods Store, which DOES stock dry vermouth... and talking with the liquor department manager... he said... "Please don't tell Walmart... We own the Gin and Vermouth market, and the regular liquor customers who have left Walmart because of this.." Yeah.. no kidding.

Still.. with no KMart, and a nearly closed Mall... the WM parking lot is always full. An average or below average wage market area. No real competition. Still the people we talk too have given up on Walmart... Grocery has gone to Aldi's or upscale markets, and of course, the change over to Amazon. IMHO, even the WM attempt to challenge them, is about a year behind.

My two cents worth.:)

I agree, sometimes there is just too many choices. Just look at the shampoo! Our store seems to recently have done some moving things around. I couldn't find the canned fruit one day because they moved it. I asked for help and the woman said "It's in the cereal aisle, that's what you get when a man runs the store!"

I hate shopping in general. I rarely go to a physical Walmart, none close by and even if there were I probably would not go. However, I do a lot of online shopping at Walmart.com. Orders over $35 ship free. I buy almost all my non perishable items that way. Fast delivery. The prices are much cheaper than any where else. The few times I had a problem (a broken item, etc) a quick email and there was a replacement. I buy my fruits/veggies/meats/milk/bread at Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods. Everything else, Walmart com. I highly recommend Walmart online orders.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I am a Walmart stockholder, since the mid-90s. No complaints there. :)

We have 3 Walmarts between 5-15 miles from our house. One is a new Supercenter (moved from an older building) about a year ago. Between DW and we are probably in at least one of them every week. We have never had any issues with shopping there or trying to check out. Some things are cheap, others you can find better prices for. All three have self-service checkout counters, I normally use these and there is almost never a wait. Maybe having other large competing stores nearby (Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Costco, Wegmans, etc.) keeps them on their toes.

The biggest issues I have had are with ordering something from walmart.com for pickup at the store closest to me. Several times I had service so bad I ended up writing the company. Interestingly in all cases I received a phone call from the local store manager apologizing and asking for more info to keep the issue from repeating. My last few times online pickup has gone much more smoothly so maybe they listen. :)

I hate shopping in general. I rarely go to a physical Walmart, none close by and even if there were I probably would not go. However, I do a lot of online shopping at Walmart.com. Orders over $35 ship free. I buy almost all my non perishable items that way. Fast delivery. The prices are much cheaper than any where else. The few times I had a problem (a broken item, etc) a quick email and there was a replacement. I buy my fruits/veggies/meats/milk/bread at Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods. Everything else, Walmart com. I highly recommend Walmart online orders.

I should add that when ordering from Walmart.com I have items delivered to my house. I have never tried picking up at the store, the store is too far away. I like the convenience of home delivery.

Well I never thought of that! I wonder how they deal with fresh stuff like kale, yogurt, etc.

DW shops for groceries at Walmart. I try not to go there with her. Very crowded. But she has been ordering online and having Walmart pick out the stuff. We can pick it up outside. That's a lot better.

How does that work anyway? You order on-line and set your pickup time, then what?

How does that work anyway? You order on-line and set your pickup time, then what?

Walmart has a pickup place next to the store. We park in one of the pickup spots and they come out with the groceries. I suppose DW texts them or something to let them know that she is there.

There are no Walmart's conveniently located in Chicago near where we live. For groceries we predominantly go to Aldi's and an even closer conventional large box grocery store Jewel Osco. Pretty much we buy other items online or at Target. When we travel to the Walmart's though the local store and rural area stores are clean, but I seldom think to myself "what a deal" like I used to at Kmart when they had the red light specials.

Regarding lack of checkers to "force" the customers to scan stuff ourselves, I tend to just say out loud to the manager near the exit too bad there are no checkers and walk out leaving my cart where the checker should have been. This way there is a cost to them to reshelf the items and the loss of a sale is evident.
I have done the self scan with a couple items but don't like it especially when the employee is there supervising the one or two check out areas. I suppose another method to deal with this is to be extremely slowwwwwww. Stand there talking with someone and pretend you don't know what a scan bar is...
Hold the product an inch from your eye and move it slowly checking for the scan bar. Check the sides with out it several times. Pretty sure after 5 minutes someone will help you. : )

But hey I resisted self clean up at fast food joints for a long time. My logic was teenagers need a first job. Unfortunately my wife had self guilt about me resisting providing free janitorial service to a restaurant.

Walmart is usually my "store of last resort". first, it's not that close to my house but secondly my walmart is old and dingy. horrible lighting, always dirty and I don't care how upset people get, the people that hang out in front of the store are scary.

Sorry there isn't any thing in walmart that I have found that is soo much cheaper that I have to endure them.

now I'm a weird person, I like shopping for my own food. I like picking hte produce I want and seeing what's on sale. so I doubt if I ever do the "shop at home" thing.

now I'm a weird person, I like shopping for my own food. I like picking hte produce I want and seeing what's on sale. so I doubt if I ever do the "shop at home" thing.

How do people that shop for groceries online know what looks good that day?
Went to Wegmans yesterday for seltzer water and on the way through saw the plums were ripe and looking tasty. The peaches were a bit hard but I know they'll ripen in a day or two. Sweet corn was not local but looked good and was tasty.
Shopping for my food is part of the joy of cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom