Applying for SS Widow Benefits

I'm sorry for your loss and hope you take the time needed to heal.

A postscript on this: called SS today and the first appointment I can get by phone is December 14! I asked specifically about when the payments would be effective and he said when I did get the first installment it would cover December. My guess, though, is that I'll get it in 2017, when I have a darn good chance of it getting taxed since I'll be filing as a Single and have lots of taxable investment income. Nasty, but nothing I can do about it. I'm sure there are other widows whose biggest worry is not tax issues, but how to get by between the time when the husband's last SS payment was received and the time Widow's benefits are first deposited. I'm glad i have the former problem.

No questions about DH's previous marriages, thank heaven. I would have applied on-line if it hadn't been for all those intimidating blank spaces.

A postscript on this: called SS today and the first appointment I can get by phone is December 14! I asked specifically about when the payments would be effective and he said when I did get the first installment it would cover December. My guess, though, is that I'll get it in 2017, when I have a darn good chance of it getting taxed since I'll be filing as a Single and have lots of taxable investment income. Nasty, but nothing I can do about it. I'm sure there are other widows whose biggest worry is not tax issues, but how to get by between the time when the husband's last SS payment was received and the time Widow's benefits are first deposited. I'm glad i have the former problem.

No questions about DH's previous marriages, thank heaven. I would have applied on-line if it hadn't been for all those intimidating blank spaces.

So I don't know if anyone responded to my question about your benefit not be frozen on your own account if you file before you turn 70.I'm just curious because I understood benefit reduction were set in stone on the claiming of your first check.By frozen I mean locked in at 80% or so of the full benefit amount.

They told me that I had to apply in person for survivor benes, not possible online.

In your shoes, I would go to the local Social Security office and file there. Appointment? My husband just died and I need to get this resolved immediately.

Yes to just going to the nearest office if you have time. We have done that four times for different issues without an appointment and waited maybe ten minutes.

And again, sorry, Athena :(. Tough time of year to lose someone you love.

Hmmm... maybe I should just go over there. I REALLY want to make sure I don't jeopardize benefits on my own record at age 70 by collecting Widow's benefits on DH's now, but I don't think so. It would be good to get an answer, though. I could head over first thing tomorrow AM.

on the SS site itself it seems to say that widows benefit can begin any time after the age of 60..but drawing before FRA will result in a reduction of the benefit amount. It also says you can switch to your own benefit between 62 and 70 which seems to suggest there is not an age penalty, and then immediately says the rules for this are complicated so you should talk to an SS spokesperson.

Keep in mind some of the recent rule changes were grandfathered in to not effect people closer to FRA. I don't know what the law is, I was just asking if you were sure it wouldn't have an unintended negative effect on you.

on the SS site itself it seems to say that widows benefit can begin any time after the age of 60..but drawing before FRA will result in a reduction of the benefit amount. It also says you can switch to your own benefit between 62 and 70 which seems to suggest there is not an age penalty, and then immediately says the rules for this are complicated so you should talk to an SS spokesperson.

Keep in mind some of the recent rule changes were grandfathered in to not effect people closer to FRA. I don't know what the law is, I was just asking if you were sure it wouldn't have an unintended negative effect on you.

Thanks. I know I'll get a penalty for not waiting till FRA to collect Widow's benefits (I'm 63) but I'm OK with that. I just want to make darn sure my own benefits will continue to grow and it's worth a face-to-gave discussion to verify that. I'm in the group that could have filed for Spousal benefits at FRA and let my own benefits grow, but that no longer applies to me.

Thanks. I know I'll get a penalty for not waiting till FRA to collect Widow's benefits (I'm 63) but I'm OK with that. I just want to make darn sure my own benefits will continue to grow and it's worth a face-to-gave discussion to verify that. I'm in the group that could have filed for Spousal benefits at FRA and let my own benefits grow, but that no longer applies to me.

Yes of course you want to know that before you file, when you clarify things would you mind reporting back what you find out? Thanks.

IIRC, you can file joint for the year... you just put all your income and the income of your DH up to the day he died..... any income for him afterwards is put on his estate income tax.....

Might need to look it up as I have not done this for 30 + years....

I know I can file joint for 2016; it's 2017 I'm worried about. I believe I have to file Single then, and that jacks up my tax liability. As for the estate, DH, bless him, had almost nothing to his name. We planned it that way. The cars were titled in his name and we moved those over to my name when we knew his illness was terminal.

My condolences on your loss. I know how hard it can be. Good luck on your new future and different life.

I filed for SS benefits on my late DW's account when I retired at 63. I will switch to my account at 70. That is the way I understand it works. If you find out differently, please let us know. My thinking was to file on her benefits as soon as possible because it would only be for a fairly short time so waiting for a larger amount would not make up the money foregone.

Adding my condolences Athena. So very sorry and hope the next days, weeks and months are kind to you.

I filed for SS benefits on my late DW's account when I retired at 63. I will switch to my account at 70. That is the way I understand it works. If you find out differently, please let us know. My thinking was to file on her benefits as soon as possible because it would only be for a fairly short time so waiting for a larger amount would not make up the money foregone.

Thanks. That's what I expect but will post what I find out.

Done! Thanks for the nudge I needed to just get in the car and go over there. It was about a 10-minute wait to get to the "triage" window and then he told me it could be 30-45 minutes to get to someone who would process the application. I said I'd wait. Good thing I didn't go out for coffee. My name was called about 10 minutes later.

She ran the numbers on my Ex's records to see if I could get a higher benefit from him (divorced in 1997 after 13 years, he died in 2010) and she said it was close, but DH's was a little higher. Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.

The paperwork I have says specifically that I am not applying for benefits on my own record, that I'm letting them accrue and that if I want benefits on my own record I have to come back and file for those. Perfect. I'm getting $1,900 in Survivor benefits but will get $3,500 on my own record if I wait till age 70!

No questions about the second ex-wife since it was a short marriage and she's deceased. I provided what info I had about the first ex-wife and I think she was able to find her in the records but some of the details didn't sound right, Didn't affect my claim anyway- she said the marriage lasted less than 10 years and that may be true- DSS was 8 when they divorced.

I should get the first payment next month. Looking forward to it.

I'm more like that. I had a good cry today over all the kind comments from everyone I know on FaceBook, but a couple of days of wallowing in grief would drive me crazy. We're all different. I'm not opposed to getting professional help if I decide I need it but right now I'm functioning pretty well.

Sincerest condolences...

We all handle grief differently, but I'm with you, in that wallowing gets old fast. But there will be excess energy to burn, and sometimes that manifests in unexpected ways. As long as those ways aren't self-destructive, just go with the flow...

Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.

Ok, this brought a tear to my eye.

I'm glad it all went well with the SS application and you can expect a nice direct deposit every month. One less thing to worry about.

Done! Thanks for the nudge I needed to just get in the car and go over there. It was about a 10-minute wait to get to the "triage" window and then he told me it could be 30-45 minutes to get to someone who would process the application. I said I'd wait. Good thing I didn't go out for coffee. My name was called about 10 minutes later.

She ran the numbers on my Ex's records to see if I could get a higher benefit from him (divorced in 1997 after 13 years, he died in 2010) and she said it was close, but DH's was a little higher. Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.

The paperwork I have says specifically that I am not applying for benefits on my own record, that I'm letting them accrue and that if I want benefits on my own record I have to come back and file for those. Perfect. I'm getting $1,900 in Survivor benefits but will get $3,500 on my own record if I wait till age 70!

No questions about the second ex-wife since it was a short marriage and she's deceased. I provided what info I had about the first ex-wife and I think she was able to find her in the records but some of the details didn't sound right, Didn't affect my claim anyway- she said the marriage lasted less than 10 years and that may be true- DSS was 8 when they divorced.

Excellent, nice to have it spelled out in black and white instead of reading " the rules for this are complicated":cool: I want to commend you for getting out and about and talking about this so soon after the loss of your DH, you show some real fortitude and determination which will be to your benefit in the long run. Take Care and be nice to yourself on Thanksgiving Day.

Sounds good! Just as an FYI - My Medicare number is the late DW's SS number with a "-D1" at the end of it. I doubt if it will change when I move to my own SS account at 70.

Great news! Thanks for updating us. I'm glad working through these issues is helping your grief/recovery process.

I am so sorry for your loss. Be good to yourself.

OK, I'm back with another question- getting mixed opinions from a personal finance board I'm on and I figure this group has more first-hand experience with SS.

The good news: I just got a very large deposit from SS zapped into my bank account. The puzzle: it works out to be a November payment of $1,895 plus a December payment of $1,901, plus the Death benefit. DH died on November 15. His payment date was the second Wednesday of the month so he did receive a payment in November before he died. This means that I/we got 13 months of payments- 11 for DH plus 2 months of Survivor Benefits for me. I'd thought that SS was paid in arrears so DH's November deposit was for October- but then why did I get two payments? Will SS try to claw back one of them? I'm hoping to use it to help pay the boatload of taxes I'm going to owe for 2016 thanks to stellar investment results.

Thanks!

I'm glad they got your payments started, as to all the other questions, it is what SS says it until they change their minds. I think you are saying that you don't know if you should spend the money until you are certain they won't ask for it back.

You will get 1099's for each of you correct,I'd look them over and just wait to see if anything else happens, they have all dates so I'd just assume they did it correctly and try not to worry about it in the meantime. Does any one know what SS does as far as clawback if they paid you too much money?

When my MIL died 10 years ago we faced this. It depends on the date they died and the date the check was issued. They have a cut off date where it determines whether you get to keep it or not. It has been so long I can't remember the exact details. So for example if the check is paid on the 1st and you die on the 4th you pay it back. After a certain date in the month you get to keep it.

Back
Top Bottom