Applying for SS Widow Benefits

Does any one know what SS does as far as clawback if they paid you too much money?

AFAIK, when it's automatically deposited in your bank account (as appears to be the case here), it's automatically taken back out when they get their act together.

My Mom died this summer and was receiving SS, so I am familiar with how it works regarding date of death and the one time death benefit. I don't know how survivor benefits work so I can't help you with that.

You're entitled to a SS payment if you live the entire month. Partial months do not count. So in athena53's case, she would be entitled to an SS payment for October but not November.

Payments are made one month in arrears, so the payment received in November is for October, and you get to keep that deposit and all of the deposits before that one. You are not entitled to any payments after that one. If SS paid you anything that you are not entitled to, they will claw it back. This did not happen in my Mom's case, so I don't know how it works exactly, but I believe if they do autodeposit via ACH (probably the most common situation), they will autowithdraw via ACH. Woe to you if the funds are not there for them to claw back.

My understanding is that the day of the month in which you receive the payment is irrelevant with respect to death. You received your November payment on whatever date you received it because that was the day your husband was assigned - probably based on his SSN or something. Regardless of what day you received it in November, it was your November payment for him living through the entire month of October.

My understanding is that you have to live the whole month in order to qualify for benefits for that month. So it wouldn't have mattered if your husband had died on November 2, November 15, or November 28, before or after receiving his November check. He would still not be entitled to that month's benefits and should not have received / is not entitled to a check in December.

You'll also receive a $255 death benefit. In my Mom's case, she died on June 6 and the $255 was deposited I believe on July 31. So I would expect you to receive your $255 payment on or about 12/31. IIRC this was a separate payment deposited on the same day.

I do not know why SS paid you a larger second amount ($1901). My only guess is that the second payment included his inflation adjustment, but I would expect that to happen in January, not December.

From what you've described, it sounds to me that they will eventually try to claw back the $1901. You should leave that money in that account so they can claw it back. I would also contact your local SS office and have them review it so that you can settle the situation sooner rather than later.

My condolences on your loss.

What do you mean woe to you if you don't have the funds? How can you be expected to know when and where they will correct their mistake if indeed they made a mistake. What can they do besides simply withholding your next month payment?

So in the last 3 posts, it is, it depends on the day of the month you died and it doesn't matter what day of the month you die. One of you has the wrong answer. This is why I advised don't worry about now and just see what happens.

Social Security benefits are paid on the second, third or fourth wednesday of the month depending on the day of the month you were born a link for 2016 with at the bottom a description of how the date is picked born on the 1st thru tenth, second, 11 thru 20 third, 31 thru 31 fourth wednesday of the month. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf if starting benefits after may 1997.

I'm pretty sure the payment received in November for the month of October is valid and won't be clawed back. I'm just surprised at the 2 months of Survivor benefits paid a few days ago when I was expecting one. Maybe Survivor benefits are paid in advance. All I can do at this point is wait and see if anything gets zapped back out of my account to correct a mistake.

A final update: I just received the snail mail letter from SS. The 2 months of Survivor benefits i received in late December were the one I was due to receive in December PLUS the one I would have gotten this month. It clearly states that my next payment will be in February.

What's really annoying is that it just added to my tax liability for 2016 which is already horrendous. OTOH, next year I have to file as Single so that will drive up my taxes, too. Maybe I'll be better getting only 11 payments in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom