Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
+2

FZDXX with auto-redemption into Core Acct as needed to pay bills.

Last edited:
Its hard to do better by waiting to commit funds. These high yield 12-15 month CD deals make a lot of sense in my view.

Next week's treasury zeros currently showing expected yields:
3 mon 2.10%
6 mon-2.25
12 mon-2.42

Very liquid and no penalty early withdrawal beyond $1/bond sales charge at least at Fido
One possible consideration of taking the six month is with zeros, all interest will not be recognized until 2019 assuming a cash based taxpayer

Next week's treasury zeros currently showing expected yields:
3 mon 2.10%
6 mon-2.25
12 mon-2.42

Very liquid and no penalty early withdrawal beyond $1/bond sales charge at least at Fido
One possible consideration of taking the six month is with zeros, all interest will not be recognized until 2019 assuming a cash based taxpayer

There is a built in early withdrawal penalty beyond the sales commission - it’s the difference between the old and new rate available on the bond at the remaining duration.

If interest rates go up on Sept. 26th... They may get better.

True! But based on my personal tax estimate, moving four months of interest to 2019 reduces our chances of getting pushed into another bracket. YMMV

This is quite a deal, but it has to be funded by check ether via snail mail or deposit at a shared branch.

NASA Federal Credit Union Offers Top Rate 15-Month CD, 3.25% APY

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/nasa-federal-credit-union.html#promo34908

So I jumped on this earlier in the week as a test. Online account opening was easy, ACH'd my initial $5 deposit to the base savings account. Yesterday I deposited a check via a shared branch, also easy. Then an hour or so later when I was home, I did a chat with NasaCU rep to move the money to the 15-month CD (the shell for the CD had been opened when I did the initial account opening). So, that was easy (tm).

Today I opened another 15-month CD (as an existing member), and later today I am going to try wiring money to the account (from a brokerage account where I have free wire). Man, I just wish I had a ton (i.e. $250K) of cash to throw at this one.

This is quite a deal, but it has to be funded by check ether via snail mail or deposit at a shared branch.

NASA Federal Credit Union Offers Top Rate 15-Month CD, 3.25% APY

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/nasa-federal-credit-union.html#promo34908

Thank you for sharing this deal. I just chatted with an online rep, and she said you can actually wire money to fund the CD:

Yes, the funds can be wired into the savings account then you can contact us to apply it to the certificate.

Thank you for sharing this deal. I just chatted with an online rep, and she said you can actually wire money to fund the CD:

Yes, the funds can be wired into the savings account then you can contact us to apply it to the certificate.
From reading comments - once you get a savings account set up, yes, then it just takes a phone call.

I also found out that my local Costco is a shared branch. Who woulda thunk!

But I don't have any funds free to take advantage of this. Most of my funds are freeing up near the end of this year and early next year. I bet there will be some other deals available then. I'm not ready to open yet another FCU account.

From reading comments - once you get a savings account set up, yes, then it just takes a phone call.

I also found out that my local Costco is a shared branch. Who woulda thunk!

But I don't have any funds free to take advantage of this. Most of my funds are freeing up near the end of this year and early next year. I bet there will be some other deals available then. I'm not ready to open yet another FCU account.

We happen to be sitting on a big chunk of change since selling our rental. We might just make a move on this one - hoping something a lot higher doesn't pop up right after we commit to it...that would be my luck...lol.

We happen to be sitting on a big chunk of change since selling our rental. We might just make a move on this one - hoping something a lot higher doesn't pop up right after we commit to it...that would be my luck...lol.

Yeah - if I were sitting on a big chunk of change I would be over at Costco already!

+1 on this. With any luck, we will be closing on our home (selling) in less than a month and that nice chunk of change can work for us a little bit while we figure out what our next "home" move is going to be. :D

Well, have applied to NASA, but got a "hurry up and wait" message. Looking at the application portal (does it go to Saturn since it's NASA?) and it shows "referred". I wonder if that has anything to do with my credit being frozen? Or maybe because I did my application at 5:15 on a Friday... :)

Well, have applied to NASA, but got a "hurry up and wait" message. Looking at the application portal (does it go to Saturn since it's NASA?) and it shows "referred". I wonder if that has anything to do with my credit being frozen? Or maybe because I did my application at 5:15 on a Friday... :)

I hope it's not the frozen credit because we will have the same issue. It's comforting to keep your credit frozen but sure is a PIA when you want to apply for something that requires a credit check. :(

OK I just applied as well (on a Sat) and it says "referred" for me, too. I suspect this is part of their normal processing time. We shall see!

I applied Weds and got account set up and CD established with no problem. I am planning to go to a branch this week with a check to fund.

So far was pretty painless.

Question on this NASA Credit Union account. It says they give a free 12 month membership to this National Space Society which is required if you don't meet the other requirements. What happens after 12 months? Is this still basically just a free fake membership that has to be renewed each year?

As someone sitting out here in California far from any NASA operations, I assume this is no different then any other online bank account like Ally and Capital One360? Am I missing something here?

Question on this NASA Credit Union account. It says they give a free 12 month membership to this National Space Society which is required if you don't meet the other requirements. What happens after 12 months? Is this still basically just a free fake membership that has to be renewed each year?

As someone sitting out here in California far from any NASA operations, I assume this is no different then any other online bank account like Ally and Capital One360? Am I missing something here?
Once you are a member (of NASA CU), you are a member. Just like if a CU had a residency requirement, and you met the residency requirement, and then later moved...you would still be a member of the CU.

Once you are a member (of NASA CU), you are a member. Just like if a CU had a residency requirement, and you met the residency requirement, and then later moved...you would still be a member of the CU.

Why are their renewal membership fees on their site?

I hope it's not the frozen credit because we will have the same issue. It's comforting to keep your credit frozen but sure is a PIA when you want to apply for something that requires a credit check. :(

That’s yet another hurdle for me opening at a new credit union.

Why are their renewal membership fees on their site?
Who is 'their site'?

Step 1. Become a member of Nasa CU using the complimentary membership to National Space Society (NSS).

Step 2. Open the CD.

Step 3. When the NSS membership is to be renewed, do not renew and do not use automatic renewal.

Done.

That’s yet another hurdle for me opening at a new credit union.

Well, that's what it was. They wanted me to send them a copy of my SS card, driver's license, and a utility bill. I did all except the SS card. I wrote them asking why they needed it, too. I received a message back within just a few hours saying I needed to unfreeze my credit report.

I went ahead and unfroze our credit reports. It was actually easy this time and free! I don't know what changed, but I'm thrilled that it was free!

So far, the experience with this credit union has been light years better than my experience with Andrews FCU. With that bank they took FOREVER to even contact me and tell me they needed more info. Then when I sent them copies of my license, etc., they never followed up. I called and was just told it was "in process". I eventually gave up and decided not to pursue it because I didn't trust a bank that was that SLOW and unresponsive.

NASA FCU has been very responsive. I started the process this morning and am already emailing back and forth with them today.

Well, that's what it was. They wanted me to send them a copy of my SS card, driver's license, and a utility bill. I did all except the SS card. I wrote them asking why they needed it, too. I received a message back within just a few hours saying I needed to unfreeze my credit report.

I went ahead and unfroze our credit reports. It was actually easy this time and free! I don't know what changed, but I'm thrilled that it was free!

So far, the experience with this credit union has been light years better than my experience with Andrews FCU. With that bank they took FOREVER to even contact me and tell me they needed more info. Then when I sent them copies of my license, etc., they never followed up. I called and was just told it was "in process". I eventually gave up and decided not to pursue it because I didn't trust a bank that was that SLOW and unresponsive.

NASA FCU has been very responsive. I started the process this morning and am already emailing back and forth with them today.

I forgot the date for free freezes/thaws. Which credit report agency did they need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom