Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
No worries - a brown paper grocery bag will serve the purpose and can be sourced for under $220. Curious Copyright 1997 - you found that website how??

Last edited:
Does anyone keep a million in cash?
Times 2+

To be honest, it's a bit of a PIA splitting these up at a bunch of different banks to stay under the 250k FDIC limits. Am considering combing some where the rates are best.

Last edited:
Times 2+

To be honest, it's a bit of a PIA splitting these up at a bunch of different banks to stay under the 250k FDIC limits. Am considering combing some where the rates are best.

Going through a brokerage can help with this. You are not having to deal with the different banks directly.

It is. Just not sure I want to go longer than 2 years at this point.

As I mentioned above, as if Friday, Wells Fargo and JP Morgan were showing 2 year at 3.3% in my brokerage fixed income screener(callable).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Citizens Access (online subsidiary of Citizens Bank) has hit 2% on online only savings.

I just opened up a money market account at Lakeland Bank (many locations in NJ) at 2.05%. Guaranteed until October 2019. Not an online account. (I moved it from another bank that was giving me 1.6%). That's $1000 in interest extra a year. I guess I'd keep moving it for at least $500/yr. Why not? - it takes less than an hours worth of my time for me.

As I mentioned above, as if Friday, Wells Fargo and JP Morgan were showing 2 year at 3.3% in my brokerage fixed income screener(callable).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I just ordered some Wells new issue mature 8/16/20: 2.8% - settlement is next week so final yield might vary. I avoid callable CDs and bonds. Too much risk.

I bought a few of those Wells Fargo CDs.

The interest schedule is:
2.55% through 8/2019
3.0% through 2/2020
5% through 8/2020

The very high likelihood is that they will call in Feb 2020 when the rate would go to 5% for the final 6 months. You get to 3.264% only if they pay the CDs for the full 2 years and don't call. If they call at 2/2020 it comes to 2.7%.

However, the way I looked at it was that 2.55% is better than the 1 year rate today. Should they not call at 1 year and go another 6 months or year, it's gravy.

I also bought the HSBC incarnation for 5 years:
3.0% through 2/2021
3.625% through 2/2022
3.875% through 8/2022
4.375% through 2/2023
4.875% through 8/2023

Again, 3.0% is a good rate for the first 2.5 years, anything after that will be gravy.

I decided that today was the day to jump on this change in rates. I closed five 11 mo no penalty CD's at the older 1.75% rate and did so successfully with just 5 clicks. I then began the process of opening 5 new 11 mo no penalty CD's at the new 2% rate. After opening 2 successfully, the system stopped opening them and after a call to ALLY I was told that all new apps for my account were pending and I will receive a call in 3-5 business days. Meanwhile the money sits in a minimal interest bearing Ally checking account. ANNOYING but not fatal.:mad:

I was able to upgrade two of my CDs online, no problems. Hope you get your call back!

Just got 1yr at Fidelity 2.3%

If you're dealing with Fidelity, at this time, it's better to opt for the equivalent maturity Treasuries as opposed to the CD. Rates breakeven at about 15 months - less than that, treasury yields are higher and the intersest is free from state taxes. For example, instead of your 2.3% 1 year CD, you could have gotten 2.48% 1 year treasury and again, interest on the treasury is free from state taxes.

It is very easy/straightforward to purchase treasuries on Fidelity's website - just play around with it, you'll probably quickly figure it out. If not, do not be shy about calling and speaking with a representative who will gladly walk you through it.

Last edited:
If you're dealing with Fidelity, at this time, it's better to opt for the equivalent maturity Treasuries as opposed to the CD. Rates breakeven at about 15 months - less than that, treasury yields are higher and the intersest is free from state taxes. For example, instead of your 2.3% 1 year CD, you could have gotten 2.48% 1 year treasury and again, interest on the treasury is free from state taxes.

It is very easy/straightforward to purchase treasuries on Fidelity's website - just play around with it, you'll probably quickly figure it out. If not, do not be shy about calling and speaking with a representative who will gladly walk you through it.

Do you work for Fidelity? LOL!

Just picked two up today. Easy over the phone since I'm already a member and have another CD there.

It looks like they only charge a six month early withdrawal penalty, so at 3.56% for 3 years that looks like the best overall deal out there. I think I'm going to move my money over tomorrow.

It looks like they only charge a six month early withdrawal penalty, so at 3.56% for 3 years that looks like the best overall deal out there. I think I'm going to move my money over tomorrow.
That's correct. Six months penalty is the deal. Only a seven day Grace period at renewal to pull money out versus the more usual ten. Not a big deal just thought I'd make mention .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom