Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those in Florida.

Headquartered in Tampa, floridacentral Credit Union’s field of membership (FOM) is primarily residency-based, with individuals who live, work, or worship in the Florida counties or Charlotte, DeSoto, Hillsborough, Lake, Manatee, Orange, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota eligible to join.

15-month Promotion CD, 3.56% APY ($25,000 min), 4.07% APY ($50,000.01 min), new money

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/florida-central-credit-union/offers/

Last edited:
For those in Florida.

Headquartered in Tampa, floridacentral Credit Union’s field of membership (FOM) is primarily residency-based, with individuals who live, work, or worship in the Florida counties or Charlotte, DeSoto, Hillsborough, Lake, Manatee, Orange, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, or Sarasota eligible to join.

15-month Promotion CD, 3.56% APY ($25,000 min), 4.07% APY ($50,000.01 min), new money

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/florida-central-credit-union/offers/

That is a great rate. This credit union is 5 minutes from my house.
Not familiar with credit unions in terms of FDIC type protection. How does that work?

Dtail,

It's the first I've seen. To me it means more to come, hopefully for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Dtail,

It's the first I've seen. To me it means more to come, hopefully for the rest of us.

Thanks again for posting. Yes let's hope for everyone for 4%+ rates.
Will most likely go to the credit union tomorrow to check it out.

Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 - Please Post Updates Here

Thanks. Still not sure yet if this Credit Union is federally insured or is privately insured.

The answer is contained in the link above:
The NCUA, much like the FDIC, is an independent federal agency.

Edit: Also the depositaccounts profile says:
Please refer to our financial overview of floridacentral Credit Union (NCUA Charter # 67668) for more details.

Last edited:
The answer is contained in the link above:
The NCUA, much like the FDIC, is an independent federal agency.

Edit: Also the depositaccounts profile says:
Please refer to our financial overview of floridacentral Credit Union (NCUA Charter # 67668) for more details.

I see now. Thanks.

Edit - when I look up the charter#, it states that it a non federal credit union, so still wondering if it is covered by Private Insurance.

Last edited:
I see now. Thanks.

Edit - when I look up the charter#, it states that it a non federal credit union, so still wondering if it is covered by Private Insurance.

From their (Florida central) web site:
Q. Who regulates credit unions?

A. The State of Florida regulates state-chartered credit unions like Florida Central. The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the Federal Government, insures our members' deposits up to $250,000 and separately insures traditional and Roth IRA accounts up to $250,000.

linky: https://www.floridacentralcu.com/about-us/faq.html

All disclaimers apply. :) (In other words, my research on this is limited to a few google searches.)

Dtail,
Might want to look at customer reviews. It seems what reviews there are, they aren't too happy with this credit union. Looks like 50/50.

Dtail,
Might want to look at customer reviews. It seems what reviews there are, they aren't too happy with this credit union. Looks like 50/50.

It is only rated B+ but as long as investment is below $250k it should be fine. And you will not need to talk to them once the CD is purchased until it matures.

That and it is a benefit that he can walk into a local branch rather than doing everything online.

Dtail,

I find that many gripers come out in reviews on the general finance websites. You’d have to compare with other credit union reviews to get a feel.

Dtail,

Yes, looked at them. Since I only want the CD and no other services from them, it shouldn't be a problem.
Plus, I can always go there personally if any issues.

It is only rated B+ but as long as investment is below $250k it should be fine. And you will not need to talk to them once the CD is purchased until it matures.

Agree since they have Federal insurance even though they are a state and not a federal credit union.

The only I might have is that they are closed today and I am away until Thursday. I assume they will not change any offers until then.

I just checked, and VG VMFXX has been gradually creeping up and has a 7-day SEC yield of 1.96%, higher than Ally or Discover savings rates. Maybe a good idea to send spare cash to VMFXX?

Ally just bumped their 11 mon no penalty CD to 2.1%

Oh another 10th of a point! Well, I guess that’s just a bit below the 3 month treasury at 2.16%.

Hmmmm - I’ll have to think about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they raised a little more within a month.

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this. Harbor Bank of Maryland IRA MM is 2.6% w/ $500 min. That’s 500 not 500k! This is listed on depositaccounts and the bank website. I know they are a small local bank based in Baltimore. I’ll be looking into this.

The yield on four week treasuries at tomorrow's auction is anticipated to be 2.07 percent. I'm in!

Because I don't have to pay state taxes on a taxable account and because treasuries are lower risk than even prime money market paper. Although I agree that risk seems small right now.

Also, most of my money is at Fido with their outrageous ER's on their money market accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom