Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PenFed new rates won't be enough to keep my maturing CD's there. It looks like they made them high enough to keep lazy money there, but not high enough to be considered a great rate.

Bonds are getting smashed today, e.g. TNX (10 year) rate has gone from around 3.055% at yesterdays close to 3.162% as I type this. With this going on, savings, money market and CD rates will continue to move higher. I'm guessing by December (when my CD's start to mature) that there will be plenty of choices higher than the current PenFed rates.

We have over 100K coming due on 10-10 that was earning 3%. I think I'll plunk it in a few 11 mo ALLY no penalty CD's until I find the right offer. I have done that three different times with Ally this year and it was very convenient to cancel the CD's without any loss of interest.

Fidelity just posted this week's Treasury offerings:
3 mon 2.2
6 mon 2.4
12 mon 2.62
36 mon 3.125

I have some extra money to put into another CD. But I think I'll hold on to that money for awhile to see what the Fed does in December.

I have some extra money to put into another CD. But I think I'll hold on to that money for awhile to see what the Fed does in December.

I use no-penalty CDs as holding CDs. Ally is offering a 2.1% 11 month no-penalty CD. Easy to pull funds out when a better offer comes along.

The Fed is almost certain to raise rates 0.25% in Dec. All CDs and treasuries have been continually gradually moving up in yield.

I use no-penalty CDs as holding CDs. Ally is offering a 2.1% 11 month no-penalty CD. Easy to pull funds out when a better offer comes along.

The Fed is almost certain to raise rates 0.25% in Dec. All CDs and treasuries have been continually gradually moving up in yield.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Maybe keeping that extra money around for awhile is more psychological. Winter is coming and I get paranoid in winter. ;)

Last month I invested one of my IRAs into a local bank's variable 5 year CD that will increase every time the fed funds rate increases. But should the fed funds rate decrease, my CD will never go below 3%. Since the fed funds rate increased .25 last month, beginning this month, my CD rate is now 3.25%. I'm hoping for 3.50% beginning in January.

Last edited:
I put my fully liquid reserves in the Vanguard Treasury Money Market fund (VUSXX). Current compound yield is 2.05% and is state and local tax exempt.

If you are managing your MAGI, VUSXX also has a smaller 1099DIV number compared to bank interest (1099INT) for the same after-tax return.

I have had VUSXX for many years. Treasuries only, no repurchase agreements or other fancy stuff. Very low ER. The current yield is higher than almost all on-line savings accounts and Uncle Jerry gets none of it.

I have had VUSXX for many years. Treasuries only, no repurchase agreements or other fancy stuff. Very low ER. The current yield is higher than almost all on-line savings accounts and Uncle Jerry gets none of it.
Who is Uncle Jerry? Is his last name Brown?

I received a solicitation from Capitol One today for a MM that pays 1.85% interest on amounts over $10,000 plus a $500 bonus on any new account of $50,000 or more. The balance must remain over $50,000 for 60 days. The money must come from another institution. One cannot have had an open MM account at CapOne since 12/31/16. They had an similar offer back in 2015 which we took advantage of, although I think you had to keep the funds above $50,000 for 90 days that time.

The timing is right for us on this offer, as we have a CD coming due tomorrow, that I was going to put into Ally 11 mo no penalty CD's waiting for rates to rise further. If I've done my math correctly on this offer, our return for the 60 days would be 7.91%. Not bad while waiting till the end of the year.

I received a solicitation from Capitol One today for a MM that pays 1.85% interest on amounts over $10,000 plus a $500 bonus on any new account of $50,000 or more. The balance must remain over $50,000 for 60 days. The money must come from another institution. One cannot have had an open MM account at CapOne since 12/31/16. They had an similar offer back in 2015 which we took advantage of, although I think you had to keep the funds above $50,000 for 90 days that time.

I've mentioned these bonus offers numerous times as you can earn significantly more faster by churning some money between them.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...s-on-where-to-park-10k-93990.html#post2118121

The Capital One offers are available to everyone:
https://www.capitalone.com/savings500/
https://www.capitalone.com/offer200/

I've mentioned these bonus offers numerous times as you can earn significantly more faster by churning some money between them.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...s-on-where-to-park-10k-93990.html#post2118121

The Capital One offers are available to everyone:
https://www.capitalone.com/savings500/
https://www.capitalone.com/offer200/

As I mentioned we did this back in 2015. I just got off the phone with Cap One and there is no need to leave the $50,000 in for 60 days. Unlike the 2015 offer, as long as it was funded within the time limit, you can withdraw some of the money. This seems crazy to me. I think I'll still leave the money in for the 60 days, just in case, or unless a good offer for a CD comes along. The offer by the way on this solicitation is Offer 500, not one you mentioned above.

The timing is right for us on this offer, as we have a CD coming due tomorrow, that I was going to put into Ally 11 mo no penalty CD's waiting for rates to rise further. If I've done my math correctly on this offer, our return for the 60 days would be 7.91%. Not bad while waiting till the end of the year.

And you can even turn around and still buy the Ally no penalty CD after 60 days, assuming there is no better offer then. Ally might have raised their rates a bit by then too. End of year seems to bring generous CD “specials”.

I got that same offer. They call it a Money Market account but offer no debit card or check use. I guess the only way to withdraw funds is through a transfer or just going into a branch.

:)
I got that same offer. They call it a Money Market account but offer no debit card or check use. I guess the only way to withdraw funds is through a transfer or just going into a branch.

Right. That works for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom