Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Andrews Federal Credit Union

Deal Summary: 84-month Share Certificate Special, 3.05% APY, $1k min/$250k max deposit, limit of one certificate per member.
Availability: Easy membership requirement
The 84-month Share Certificate Special (SCS) offered by Andrews Federal Credit Union (Andrews Federal) is nearing its one-year anniversary. Although its rate dropped in August from its initial 3.45% APY to 3.05% APY, the 84-month SCS is still a rate leader and is one of the few nationally available 3%+ CDs. The minimum opening deposit is $1k, with a balance cap of $250k.

This one's a little too far out for me, but others may not mind the 7 year term.

I have a 84 month CD with Andrews.Joined about 2 1/2 years ago. Many, many people, including me had problems signing up with this credit union. I have rate chased for many years now, have belonged to maybe 8 or more credit unions and several banks, and Andrews is without a doubt the most frustrating one I ever dealt with signing up. And some folks had many more problems than me. Just wanted everyone to beware it very well might take several weeks to get joined and a Cd funded, and rate probably will not be guaranteed until your dollars are there.

Synchrony is also maintaining 1.9%. My Fidelity MM funds have dropped below that level.

I guess a person could just open all the accounts, link them all together, and then just move the money to whichever place is paying the highest rate. Any downside to this? If all the money is only in one place at any given time then not too much to track.

I guess a person could just open all the accounts, link them all together, and then just move the money to whichever place is paying the highest rate. Any downside to this? If all the money is only in one place at any given time then not too much to track.

Been doing this strategy for the past few years. Only problem, is "rate" leaders, do not always remain the best.

But, it does save a lot of time. Keep accounts open. Set up "ACH", links.
So when good rates are available. You can catch "lock" in a good rate.

If starting from "scratch", it can take 3-4 weeks to open a new membership
account, if dealing with out of state bank/credit union.

That is kind of what I have done.

I have several accounts linked and so have this flexibility. I tend to use certain accounts for certain things. I use the Synchrony account with my brokerage, moving the funds there when Fidelity MM fund rates drop below high yield savings rate.

But in the big scheme of things, the differences are tiny, so nothing to sweat over.

I have several accounts linked and so have this flexibility. I tend to use certain accounts for certain things. I use the Synchrony account with my brokerage, moving the funds there when Fidelity MM fund rates drop below high yield savings rate.

But in the big scheme of things, the differences are tiny, so nothing to sweat over.

Yeah, we are heading down to yield levels where I can't be bothered to chase the last little bit, especially for money that isn't going to sit around for too long. The longer term reserves I still find it worthwhile to find the highest rate CDs, but even there I don't really want to deal with more than the 3 or 4 financial institutions I already do business with.

I'm thankful I was able to renew most of my CDs for five year terms months ago when the rates were high. I had a feeling those high rates would not last long.

Alta Vista Credit Union (CA) 60-Month CD Earns 3.00% APY60

Share Certificate, 3.00% APY, $1k minimum deposit.

Availability: Residents of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, California.

Marcus joins Ally at 1.7%.

Hi njhowie,
We’re writing to let you know that effective today, the rate on our Marcus high-yield Online Savings Account has been adjusted down to 1.70% from 1.90% Annual Percentage Yield (APY).

First Foundation Bank

MAYBE:confused:?

First Foundation Bank Online Savings Review: 2.40% APY ...
www.hustlermoneyblog.com/first-foundation-bank...
About First Foundation Bank Online Savings. The path that First Foundation has taken to provide banking, trust services, financial planning, investment management, estate and legacy planning, foundation support, and insurance services to their clients, all under one roof and all under the fiduciary standard of care, is a path not often traveled.

Got the Discover bonus of $200 one day after funding. Already transferred the 25,200 back to Ally. Easiest 200 dollars ever.
Might keep the 25k at Simple even after the bonus, as Simple is 2.13% vs. Ally of 1.70%.

Last edited:
got the discover bonus of $200 one day after funding. Already transferred the 25,200 back to ally. Easiest 200 dollars ever.
Might keep the 25k at simple even after the bonus, as simple is 2.13% vs. Ally of 1.70%.

Awesome !!!

I'm thankful I was able to renew most of my CDs for five year terms months ago when the rates were high. I had a feeling those high rates would not last long.

I too got into a bunch of PenFed CD's at 3.5 %, and some at 3.0 % about a year ago. But I was thinking interest rates were going to go up, and even thought about waiting! Lucky I got in when I did. PenFed is now down to around 1.8 % I think, for a 5 year term. Awful. May look into Andrews Credit Union (which was 3% recently?) next month when I will have some cash to put somewhere. No doubt Andrews will drop to 1.8 % for 5 year by then lol !

Last edited:
I have funds on the way to buy into the NASAv15mo. Unfortunately, won't replace the last 15mo I had there at 3.25 that matures end of December.

I have the same dilemma! My 3.25% CD expires early December. I will miss it!

Andrews Federal CU

Get Paid to Save with a Special Share Certificate

Now through December 6, open a 3-Month Share Certificate and earn 3.01% APY*. Hurry! Don't miss out on this limited time offer.

You can never go wrong with a little extra savings. So, when the masses are out spending, stay home and relax while your Share Certificate grows dividends.

Enjoy 3.01% APY* for 3-months
Absolutely no account fees (penalities apply for early withdrawal)
$1,000 minimum deposit required to open account
Offer valid November 25, 2019 through December 6, 2019.

Getting tired of playing this game. Grateful for the deals I bought into in the past but things are getting too gimmicky for me.

Andrews FCU announced 3.01% for THREE MONTHS available till Dec 6th.

Maybe it fits someone’s need out there but I wouldn’t jump through a single hoop for 3mo paper!

Getting tired of playing this game. Grateful for the deals I bought into in the past but things are getting too gimmicky for me.

Andrews FCU announced 3.01% for THREE MONTHS available till Dec 6th.

Maybe it fits someone’s need out there but I wouldn’t jump through a single hoop for 3mo paper!

Yeah - $100k for 3 months @ 3% vs 1.7% is worth $325. Not great, but if you have an embarrassment of ducats, current Andrews membership and no desire to lock your money long term it is good.

Now that MM rates have slipped a bit I switched back to using my stable value fund in my 401k (pays about 1/2% more as of now).
Transaction was in after tax account to sell MM and buy S&P 500. In 401k sold S&P 500 and bought Stable Value.

Back
Top Bottom